• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

A Special Thanks, A Sad Loss, but most importantly...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Neptuner

Neptuner

I spend too much time on line

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

This is one of those topics that I feel needs to be added, but it is so very difficult to do.

First and foremost, I would like to apologize to everyone, as I know I have been a little disconnected for the past couple of months... in fact, I didn't even get Christmas cards sent out this year... which is the first time in 20+ years. Although my musical life is blossoming beautifully, I have had some family challenges that have kept me very pre-occupied and unable to fully appreciate life and all of it's glory.

For those of you who remember, my sister Wanetta was battling breast cancer a few years back and she beat it quite victoriously, as they caught it very early on. Unfortunately, with the type of chemotherapy she received, there was about a 3% chance of the chemotherapy actually causing leukemia in her body... and in her case, it did. For the past year and a half or so she has been battling that terrible disease and on 12/19/08 we lost her. Being the caring person she was, she insisted that we wait to have her memorial service well after the holidays, so I just returned from her service this past weekend in Atlanta.

I'm telling all of you this not because I want you to be saddened or sympathetic, in fact quite the contrary. I made a promise to my sister that I would personally thank all of those people who shared their many thoughts and prayers with her, so that's what I wanted to do... I wanted to thank each and every one of you for your tremendous support. As always, your hearts are so big it warms my soul just thinking about what wonderful friends I have in my life. Wanetta was very grateful to everyone who took the time to pray for her, even when they didn't know her personally. She also wanted to remind each and every one of you that this is not the end, but just another step. She rejoiced in the fact that she will see all of you again someday.

I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone be so unselfish and unwavering as my sister was during her fight. Not one single time did she ever complain of her condition, her pain or her circumstances. She always encouraged others fighting cancer and downplayed her own accomplishments in the process. She always gave thanks to the Lord and accepted life as it came to her, grateful for every moment she had. Her memorial service was beyond a doubt the most beautiful and positive service I have ever attended. Of course I was sad... my family is very, very close and she was so young, none of it seems fair or just in any way... yet through it all she personally gave us all a glimpse of hope and the calm reassurance that our parting is a natural part of life. The important thing, she said, is to live the life to the fullest while we are here. Accept others for who they are and treat them as you would have them treat you. Above all... trust in the Lord. To that end, she orchestrated her own service as a celebration of life rather than a remembrance of death. She also asked that each one of you take a single candle from the service (but I'm sure any candle you have will do) and whenever you feel lost or alone, light it and remember the first phrase of Psalms 46:10, "Be still, and know that I am God." Let those simple words comfort you in your times of doubt and chose to live life to the absolute fullest while you can.

Again, on behalf of my sister Wanetta, myself and all of my family, thank you so much for your kind words and generous support. God bless you all!

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

Mike you and your family are in my prays. I am so sorry she lost the battle. kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

My thoughts are with you and your family Michael. Your sister sounds like she was a phenominal woman. You were blessed to have her in your life.

#4 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

It sounds as if her positive outlook on life was shared by all in your family, Pup. Her spirit lives on inside you and everyone else whose life she touched. Your loving words in this thread show that her spirit will live on, for a long time to come.

Be well, and remember the good things she brought to your life.
Posted Image

#5 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

Micheal, please accept my most sincere condolences. I wish I know what I could say to you as something like this is never easy. I do hope you will continue to honor her memory with your music.
-Mitch-

#6 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:29 PM

Michael, I'm sorry I didn't know your sister, but am so glad that I have met you. Thank YOU for reminding all of us to live life to the fullest. I know that I will make an extra effort because of your words and your sister's wish for you to share this message. My prayers are with you and your family.

Thank you for the reminder that, "Be still and know that I am God," is something we should all pause and think about when we face life's difficulties.

#7 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

Micheal,

I'm so sorry to hear this.

When you and I talked before the holidays, you said it could be any time. :cheerleader: Thankfully, you got to visit with her before she passed. :teeth:

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Kimmie

#8 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

She sounds like a truly remarkable woman. I wish I could have known her. I am so very sorry for your loss, and I know you will carry out her wishes and live to its fullest.

#9 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

I am so, so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine losing one of my own siblings. Your sister sounds like she was a very strong woman, and I hope I would have the grace she had in facing such adversity.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#10 scubagoddess

scubagoddess

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Cert Level:MAster Daiver / Rescue / Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:104+

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:30 PM

Michael, I am so sorry for your loss. Your sister sounds like she was a lovely lady with a beautiful spirit. I can tell that her legacy will continue in you. My prayers are with you and the rest of your family as you grieve this loss and move forward to live the full life Wanetta has wished for you to live. Thank you for sharing her joyous outlook with us.

Cindi
There is not a shred of evidence that life is serious. ~ Ogden Nash

Be yourself, everybody else is already taken. ~ Oscar Wilde

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind! ~ Dr Seuss

#11 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

Michael,

Your words about your sister are a testament to the woman she was. I have no doubt she has left a legacy of love and strength. Sounds like I would have been lucky to have known her while she was here.

Debbie
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#12 justscuba

justscuba

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT, EFR INST,HSAI
  • Logged Dives: about 2250 cert 1973

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:46 PM

Michael....My thoughts (as well as eveyone) are with you and your family. I am sorry for the lost of yours or anyones love one.

Marty

#13 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

Michael - our thoughts are with you and your family.
Known puker

#14 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

Glad to hear you are back home safe and sound Pup and that the Memorial was beautiful. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

Big Hugs,
Babsy
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#15 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

Pup,

I'm so sorry about your sister. I lost my dad this summer and your note brought many tears. Sometimes when life hands someone the worst, it amplifies their beauty and strength. Thank you for sharing her outlook and insights, it's a small spark for us to carry forward from a large loss.

Lynn
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users