• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PSD options for advanced training

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

I'm coming up in the system and I'm looking for a alternative route for advancement. I would like to ask some Pro Divers/Trainers to demonstrate by words that PSD is a completely different world and how the training would differ from just Rescue Diver training.

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

Would a PSD have to go thru the ranks of training like OW, AOW, Rescue Diver then become a PSD aka Public Safety Diver or would they have to go thru EMS etc.. then to PSD, and if so would a PSD have a C card.

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#3 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:36 PM

Would a PSD have to go thru the ranks of training like OW, AOW, Rescue Diver then become a PSD aka Public Safety Diver or would they have to go thru EMS etc.. then to PSD, and if so would a PSD have a C card.

Mike

Here in Denver they go through the EMS route and graduate up to PSD. I don't think a C card is required, as they have their own specialized training program. But I think they all pretty much do.

I'd start with your local fire department and see how they do it.

I give those guys lots of credit. Most of there work around here is in low vis, shallow water, many times high current and very cold water. And many times its more recovery work than it is actually a rescue.

#4 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

It depends on the area, but for the most part the teams are either Fire/Ems based or Law Enforcement based, but in any case those are the prerequisites to even being considered, but its going to vary in different areas of the world.

I know the Miami Dade dive team actually requires there people to be dive instructors as one of the prereqs.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#5 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

There are no national standards in Canada to my knowledge. When I talked to a Police diver in Fredericton I was told I had better qualifications as a DM than anyone on the force at the time. They do have a list of stringent standards they follow with regards to safety divers on standby, etc., but there was no course per se. I was told I could not become a PSD (even surface support) unless I was employed by the city due to insurance/liability purposes.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users