• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Motorcycle Mania

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#46 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:53 AM

In England (where I am currently) this is a treacherous time to go biking, because some sheltered north-facing slopes can still have ice on them. Even as late as May I once nearly came off on a minor road when I hit a patch of ice I wasn't expecting. And although it's starting to feel relatively warm and the daffodils are out and the fruit trees in blossom, the air is still pretty cold and you feel it on a bike. Sadly I'm going to have to sell my BMW, as I'm not here enough to justify the annual costs of road licence, insurance and annual roadworthiness check (which is costly and very thorough - bikes often fail and I think mine will as the front tyre is coming up to be replaced).

I had assumed all the ice would be off the road with the temps - ? We still have to watch for sand which piles mostly in corners.

Annual roadworthiness check?
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#47 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:15 AM

sv650

Alright, you have to go to my page to see pictures of the bike, because I can never download anything onto this site. Mine's the red one, his is the black one in the back.

passcode: waterbabe

#48 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

sv650

Alright, you have to go to my page to see pictures of the bike, because I can never download anything onto this site. Mine's the red one, his is the black one in the back.

passcode: waterbabe

Wow! NICE. Great color and looks like hard bags? Those will come in handy. BTW - you can't really see your BF's bike. Yours seems to be blocking the view. :cool1: I love that naked bike look.

I also learned by taking the class. It was really good, a great way to get your license.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#49 ducoop

ducoop

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

Here is a little better pic

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00020.jpg

Edited by ducoop, 18 March 2009 - 11:20 AM.

#50 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

ducoop is my boyfriend and that's a better picture of his bike.

The hard cases came with the bike. We are looking forward to being able to lock stuff up on longer trips. It was used as a commuter bike by the 2 previous owners. Yeah I like the naked sport bike look... though I do understand the functionality of the farings.

Edited by TexasStarfish, 18 March 2009 - 11:22 AM.

#51 ducoop

ducoop

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

The hard cases came with the bike. We are looking forward to being able to lock stuff up on longer trips. It was used as a commuter bike by the 2 previous owners. Yeah I like the naked sport bike look... though I do understand the functionality of the farings.

I don't claim her :cool1: . (just kidding babe) I told her she could commute on the bike now but she only lives 2 blocks away from her work so I'm not sure if taking the time to put on all the gear would actually speed up her commute.

#52 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

I had assumed all the ice would be off the road with the temps - ? We still have to watch for sand which piles mostly in corners.

That's why it's dangerous - the ice has vanished from almost everywhere, but there is the slight possibility of encountering a patch in particularly exposed spots. By then you're totally unprepared for it and it can be nasty.

Al vehicles in the UK have to be tested for lots of characteristics every year once they're three years old (see http://www.direct.go...ot/DG_10016070). Without a current MOT certificate (as they're called, after Ministry of Transport test) the vehicle can't be insured or taxed. There are now many automatic cameras which read the number plate of a passing vehicle, digitise it, and check that number against the Police national Computer. If it's found to have any of those three documents out of date or if there are other issues (unpaid parking fines, etc) then a message is sent automatically to police cars in the area to stop that vehicle. Driving in the UK is now very tightly, maybe oppressively, controlled. You do NOT drive/ride with your papers out of order or it will be expensive. They even have checks now at passport control offices at borders and anyone with any unpaid fines is not permitted to leave the country. Quite Orwellian.

Edited by peterbj7, 18 March 2009 - 02:07 PM.

#53 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

Too bad you don't get out much. :cool1: I may have peeked at your other pics.

Very cool bike ducoop. Thx for the better pic. Although... it might appear you're one of those guys that believes bikes are art and therefore stores it in the living room. :cheerleader:

#54 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

That's why it's dangerous - the ice has vanished from almost everywhere, but there is the slight possibility of encountering a patch in particularly exposed spots. By then you're totally unprepared for it and it can be nasty.

Al vehicles in the UK have to be tested for lots of characteristics every year once they're three years old (see http://www.direct.go...ot/DG_10016070). Without a current MOT certificate (as they're called, after Ministry of Transport test) the vehicle can't be insured or taxed. There are now many automatic cameras which read the number plate of a passing vehicle, digitise it, and check that number against the Police national Computer. If it's found to have any of those three documents out of date or if there are other issues (unpaid parking fines, etc) then a message is sent automatically to police cars in the area to stop that vehicle. Driving in the UK is now very tightly, maybe oppressively, controlled. You do NOT drive/ride with your papers out of order or it will be expensive. They even have checks now at passport control offices at borders and anyone with any unpaid fines is not permitted to leave the country. Quite Orwellian.

Wow, what an impressive and creepy use of technology. And if the police in the area stop you with outstanding tickets or any out of date MOT docs?

#55 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:41 AM

Too bad you don't get out much. :D I may have peeked at your other pics.

Very cool bike ducoop. Thx for the better pic. Although... it might appear you're one of those guys that believes bikes are art and therefore stores it in the living room. :birthday:

I'm in the process of building the site... so if you want to see more pictures, they are being continuously uploaded. I'm big into photography and taking pics every where I go.

That picture was taken during the hurricane. He stored his bike inside his apartment. Usually it just sits in the garage. :birthday:

#56 hambergler

hambergler

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:475

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

In the way of resurrecting an old thread:

I recently turned 50. In honor of having reached this milestone relatively intact (actually, with some extra stainless and titanium bits, but fewer of the weaker brain cells unable to survive repeated assaults over the years), the purchase of a new toy was in order. Having ridden and raced motorcycles all my life, most recently having spent 20 years roadracing as I have explained before, I am somewhat dubious of the safety of riding on the street--too many random acts of idiocy. SO, anyhoo, no Hayabusas or R1s were even contemplated, as the urge to whack the throttle open in anything other than first gear would either result in a ticket or an ambulance ride (at best, considering the environment). Instead, and as a life-long fan of "weird" bikes, I found an almost-new 2007 Royal Enfield Classic. It's the epitome of the old--school 50s-era Britbike, with the added advantage of an electrical system that works almost all the time, and an oiling system that isn't prone to soiling anything the bike rests over. They're made in India now, and exported all over the world. They even make a fuel injected disc brake electronic ignition version--talk about progress!

The beauty of this bike is that I can't be tempted to go too fast, but it's still fun to ride around on. For further information:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/
I'm growing older but not up,
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck.
Let those winds of time blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

#57 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:25 PM

I am somewhat dubious of the safety of riding on the street--too many random acts of idiocy.

Exactly why, living in a metropolitan area, I continue to drive a truck instead of a bike. I've seen the idiocy from auto drivers AND from bike riders on our local highways and byways.....

I wonder if it's age or experience that has made me so cautious in this particular area? :teeth:
Posted Image

#58 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:33 PM

I've never ridden a (motor) bike in the US, though I've driven cars in quite a few different areas. In the UK I've ridden motorbikes most of my life. In Britain traffic on the roads goes much faster than anywhere I've seen in the US, and in Germany it goes even faster. Yet I've never felt afraid for my life when on two wheels in Britain, Germany, or any of quite a few other European countries. From driving a car in the US though I don't think I'd want to ride a bike anywhere I've been. Maybe out in the deserted wilds of the west, but certainly not in or near any urban area.

To my mind many (I was going to say most, but that would be unfair) American drivers are intrinsically dangerous on the roads. I'm not quite sure why, but I suspect it may be related to the brain-washing effect of having had such a low speed limit for so many years. People get into "convoy mentality" and cease paying proper attention to what's going on around them. It seems to be accepted that if someone stops suddenly ahead of you, because of an accident or whatever, it's expected and almost justified that you'll run into them. I've seen it several times, and I've read of the most horrific multi-vehicle pileups that extremely rarely ever happen anywhere in Europe, even though we're generally going much faster.

In Britain, if you run into another vehicle then it's up to you to prove that you were driving with full care and attention, and that despite that it was actually impossible to avoid the accident. And if you've just rear-ended someone it's extremely difficult to avoid a dangerous driving conviction, no matter what the person in front did. You shouldn't have been so close, and you should have been paying more attention.

So, as on a bike your safety depends on primary measures and you have nil secondary safety, I would feel very uncomfortable anywhere I've been in the US. Not in Canada - I'd feel as safe there as I do in Britain.

I've usually had big bikes and in Britain it's normal to ride/drive fast. I was stopped by the police once when I was doing around 125mph, but it turned out to be something wrong with my number plate and they didn't even mention my speed. If they had thought I had been riding recklessly I'm sure they would have thrown the book at me. I once went over 200 miles to a wedding (I was late!) in 1 3/4 hours on a bike, and I generally cruise at between 90 and 110 mph. My record on a public road is 180mph, but had I been caught I most certainly would have been in serious trouble for that. But at all these times I felt safe from other traffic. But I don't think I'd feel safe at any speed in the USA.

Edited by peterbj7, 29 January 2010 - 10:40 PM.

#59 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

motorcycles are nice to look at and sit on but you wont catch me going down the road on one, just be onscene of a few to many "aftermaths". even in full pads, neck guard and helmet your exposed and a target

peter i will agree with you on american roads I have seen it at work first hand and it wasnt pretty. The ones that always make me cringe are the ones in shirts, shorts and flip flops as there "future air patients" or "organ donors".

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#60 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

Very good point, Tooth. Riding a bike at any speed in shorts & tee shirt is rank stupidity, and riding in flip-flops is worse than that, as well as being very uncomfortable. If I'm on a motor bike I wear a full face helmet with an armoured visor, certainly an armoured jacket and usually trousers as well (armoured, that is - I do generally wear trousers on a bike!), solid shoes and usually proper boots that protect both foot and shin, and heavyweight leather/kevlar gloves. No matter how hot it is. If I overheat I just go faster :teeth: You only have to see gravel burns once to make sure you'll never risk them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users