• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Use it or Lose It

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:12 AM

There are divers (I'm one of them) who dive several times a year, but easily go 6 months without diving at all (I call this work interference). I still typically get 50 or so dives done in the 6 months I am able to go diving. There are others who, for many reasons, can go a year or even more in-between dives.

All of us know the phrase "use it or lose it", and the general consensus is that if you do not dive for extended periods of time, a refresher course is highly beneficial. Not just for your sake, but for your buddy's as well. But, what is "an extended period of time"? Is there a hard & fast rule, or does it differ for each individual? And, what does a good refresher course entail?

There are also dive ops who ask that divers using their operation to demonstrate some basic skills before allowing you to dive with them. Many comply without a second thought, but I have seen others loudly complain about this practice, feeling insulted or like they're being treated like children. In today's litigation-happy atmosphere, I understand why the dive ops ask us to demonstrate that we know what we're doing, at least with the rudimentary skills. Have you been asked to demonstrate your basic skills, and if so what was your reaction to the first time you were asked to do so? Do you think more dive ops will be doing this in the future? Do OW or AOW divers comply without a second thought, while DM's and instructors feel the insult, or vice-versa?

The goal, I'm sure, is to keep us and those we're diving with from becoming a diving accident statistic. What are your thoughts on these issues?
Posted Image

#2 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

My first priority right now vis-a-vis diving IS a refresher course. The surface interval I've been suffering through has been a bit over four years. I want to be sure that I remember my skills, and fill in gaps that may be identified! I've only got 28 logged open water dives, so it's a safe bet that there are things I need to relearn. I would expect that a diver with 500 logged dives since 2000 (when I was certified), and the same length of recent surface interval as mine, would not necessarily NEED a refresher course though it would prolly still be beneficial.
Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#3 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

I have over 600 dives under my weight belt but I have no objections to doing a check out dive. However, in all of the places that I have been diving and with all of the "checkout dives" that I have done, I can not really say that any of them have been more than a cursory jump in the water with your gear on so that they can say that we did it.

Last summer I was diving at AKR on Roatan. Not my normal choice of a dive location, too many people, too commercial for my taste. They require a checkout dive while still at dock. They have you gear up and jump in. This was the most bizarre checkout dive that I have ever been on. Nine of us jump in the water, the water is pretty shallow and I was not happy with my weights so I sit on the bottom for a minute to take a weight off my belt, while I am sitting there doing this I am watching the other divers. One of them is floating on the top with her head down like a duck, another is trying to clear his mask and then of course there is me who is sitting there. This whole scene lasted all of 3 minutes and the DM was signaling the OK sign everybody back on the boat.

What was the point?

As far as a refresher course, I think that really depends on the diver. The longest I have gone between dives was six months, but when I jumped back in the water it felt like 6 days.

J
Sea Turtle advocate!

#4 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

I seem to take one trip a year to dive. I like to go to a local dive hole to refresh myself, but last year it just didn't happen. It's looking like it won't happen this year either before I go on a trip the end of April. Last year before my trip I did go to my DM for a little refresher and was so glad I did. He asked if I had any specific questions and we got in the pool. He had me go over all the basics and just in talking with him he reminded me of a few things I had forgotten about. I have only been diving for 3 years and have about 35 dives logged so this was very helpfull for me. My refreshers like this do not cost a thing and I get some very much needed pool time in between trips. My DM is :cheerleader: .
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#5 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox/Cave
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

I would definitely fit into this category. I have a little over 50 dives and have been thinking about diving every day. But that isn't going to cut it. I am also planning on purchasing an entire set of new gear. Over a year out of the water, lack of experience (I consider anything under 100+ dives inexperienced... even more in some cases) and a whole new setup are definitely going to call for some serious refreshing before I go on a legitimate "dive". I'm pretty sure that I can go to the Gardner pool on post (indoor pool) and put the 15 foot deep end to good use figuring out my setup and weighting. This will be greatly benefitial. I'll go over the basic skills I haven't used in a long time, practice a bit with the new gear and work out my weighting issues, and work on some boyancy techniques from my OW classes. It will be a nice little warm up. Then some fresh water dives in the shallow area of the quarry (where I plan on freezing to death) will round it out. After that I'll feel more comfortable diving to deeper areas and going on a trip. I can't friggin WAIT!! ARGH! SO CLOSE NOW!

As far as check out dives at a resort, I can understand it. But I would think they'd be a bit more in depth than the ones described. I remember my first boat dive. The DM gave a nice dive brief, explained that people weren't to touch the coral and make sure to keep their gear secured and not dragging on things. As soon as the dive started, I decended to about 35 ft and looked down. To my horror, there was a fat guy in nothing but swim trunks and his dive gear, literally STANDING straight up, on the reef, looking around. Some people just don't get it I guess. These are the kind of people that need to be doing checkout dives. That being said, I don't think any dive op can really afford to tell a diver they can't go on a trip because their skills are lacking. This goes into ethics and and many other things so I'll cut it short there. But in short, yes, I think checkout dives are good.

Wow, that was a serious rant with no real topic adherance. Sorry.
Bringing evil things to evil people... Because pacifists can't get a damn thing done!

Working on my PHD in CQB one house at a time.

#6 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

I have been pleasantly surprised how many divers come through our shop for a refresher (our agency calls these "Scuba Reviews"). And, even more pleasantly surprised how happy they are after the fact. Most make a comment to the effect they would either have "wasted" a dive on vacation getting used to their gear again - or more frequently - felt they were much safer now since they had reviewed all of their skills.

As a plug - our shop of course charges for reviews, but I will do them for friends gratis. However, since this is one of the very few courses divemasters are allowed to deliver without supervision - I would encourage everyone to pay their hard-working DM for their time.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#7 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:52 AM

All that I got out of my last refresher course was a dinner :clapping: . That is all right. As far as I know, the client was happy with the help and I learn every time that I work with someone.

I have been limited in my water time myself due to buying other things and simply not having time lately.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#8 divzac

divzac

Diving Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor / Captain. I either dive or drive often in the Palm Beaches
  • Logged Dives:I kinda got lazy after a couple hundred

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

Although my diving is year round and reasonably stable, I do not mind letting a resort or dive op check me out. I never know what little trick that I might pick up and if nothing else, they can check me off their list and focus their efforts elsewhere. Its all good.
I wanna be the person that my dog thinks I am

Check out the SPREE...come dive with us!

charlies@singledivers.com

#9 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:28 PM

One question I have not seen answered yet is, what does a refresher course entail? Instructors, can you enlighten us? Maybe some of our members have been out of the water for a while, and just don't know what the refresher course really will do for them.....
Posted Image

#10 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

I think different people need refreshers at different times. There is no set time. I spent about a year out of the water with business school and jumped right back in. Of course, I am an instructor, had logged over 100 dives, and felt comfortable with my skills. Its all about how you "feel." Hopefully you learned in your open water course the importance of feeling comfortable in the water, for your safety and others.

So on the course. A refresher, where I teach, entails the diver to sit in on one classroom open water session and one pool open water session. There is what is called the extended refresher and it includes more classroom and I think even a day at the lake.

:respect:

#11 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

One question I have not seen answered yet is, what does a refresher course entail? Instructors, can you enlighten us? Maybe some of our members have been out of the water for a while, and just don't know what the refresher course really will do for them.....

Scuba Reviews (from my agency PADI) include a knowledge review session and pool skill session.

The knowledge review can be conducted in a few different of ways depending on theri schedule or desire. Participants can elect to review knowledge starting with independent study of a PADI Scuba Tune-Up workbook. The participant and instructor may then use class time to focus on discussing any sections of knowledge requiring remediation (typically the dive tables). Participants may elect to forgo independent study and on the night of the class session they may either take the 4 Open Water quizzes or take the Open Water Final Exam. The participant and instructor may then focus in on any missed questions to remediate.

The areas of scuba knowledge covered in a review are:

Safe diving practices
Dive planning fundamentals
Problem management
Breathing air at depth
Recreational diving and dive tables: basic knowledge
Recreational diving and dive tables: dive planning

The pool skill session covers practice of the following basic scuba skills:

1. gear set-up
2. Predive safety check
3. Deep-water entry
4. Weight check at the surface
5. Snorkel to regulator exchange
6. Proper descent using the a five-point method
7. Regulator recovery
8. Remove and replace mask
9. Air depletion/Alternate air source use
10. Regulator free-flow
11. Fin pivot (a buoyancy skill)
12. Proper ascent using the five-point method
13. Remove and replace weight system underwater
14. Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent (CESA)
15. Hover
16. No-mask swim
17. Remove and replace weight system on the surface
18. Remove and replace scuba unit on the surface

Any certified diver from any agency may of course take a PADI Scuba Review course, such as I am certain similar programs from other agencies allow for the same. After successful completiong of a PADI Scuba Review, participants receive a PADI Scuba Review verification decal for their certification card.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#12 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:08 PM

Scuba Reviews (from my agency PADI) include a knowledge review session and pool skill session.

The areas of scuba knowledge covered in a review are:

Safe diving practices
Dive planning fundamentals
Problem management
Breathing air at depth
Recreational diving and dive tables: basic knowledge
Recreational diving and dive tables: dive planning

Hey, isn't there an on-line course for this? :thankyou:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users