• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Honey, I'm Home...

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

Greetings World...

I am back on-line. When Wenchie theorized I was afraid to say anything because I might wake up and spoil the dream, she was dead on. :respect:

Now that I am here, I think it is safe to let you know that I accepted a new job located in:

Posted Image

I stayed silent to not jinx it, but also because I was flying into the Posted Image on Posted Image and really didn't want to tempt fate any more than necessary. :cool1:

There were a series of phone interviews for the position including one technically based one where they went to individual registry keys and asked me what they did. The techies among you will appreciate how tough that was. After I landed the job, the biggest delay was waiting for the government paperwork to come through.

I arrived safely and after an hour of immigration and customs formalities (My Cochran computer is now officially recorded under my name by the government), I am firmly ensconced in my new apartment. It is just a one bedroom studio, but has a great view. In fact, as I type this on my deck I can see the ocean just over the trees past the pool. Sweet.

Posted Image

They said there were over a hundred and fifty applicants for the position. I arrived on the same day as the company holiday party and met everyone in an informal gathering that was quite nice. They brought in Portuguese folk dancers after the dinner as entertainment. It turned out to be interactive as they hauled a few people up from the audience and apparently I have rhythm. :lmao:

The apartment is located in a very quiet side street. It is fairly large, furnished, has an air conditioner and Cathedral ceilings with fans. A small TV, cable converter and DVD player were in the living room. I am going to have to invest in a few things to spruce the place up; curtains and the like. Best part was finding a brand new King bed with labels still attached. It is exactly the same model I was looking at getting a few months ago for my guest bedroom, but I never got around to ordering it. I was not expecting that little luxury, but it was very cool to find when I moved in. Ahhhhh, leg room when I sleep. Somebody likes me. I changed the furniture around to suit me and got a little extra room as an added bonus. On Saturday, I went for a walk in the morning and found an 'everything must go' house sale by chance. Picked up a set of Egyptian cotton sheets, Union Jack bed throw and a couple of good sized coffee mugs for $17 which I thought was a bargain.

My place is quite close to work, .4 KM to the grocery store, .7 KM to the ocean and .9 KM to the nearest dive shop. Nice little kitchenette, but it has tiny appliances. I put a 12" frozen pizza in the freezer and could not get the door shut. hahaha

Posted Image

It is a nine-to-five job and I get weekends off. I have been warned that there may be a little overtime, but no on-call duty which sold me. Been there, done that, hated it. They have branch offices in several places including the Caymans and Trinidad-Tobago so I may be taking the odd road trip there. One of my co-workers is certified and takes semi-annual trips to Cayman Brac. Another couple want me to hurry and get my instructors rating so I can teach them their OW before they go to the Philippines. A few people invited me Salsa dancing which was encouraging as well.

I walked into town on Saturday for a bus pass and was surprised how much it has grown in the last ten years. It is a bustling place and has lots of shops, bistros and cafes. The prices were quite steep so I will have to go back and see if I can find some moderately priced places to eat. They said it is 380% more expensive here than the US and I cannot disagree. A small jar of instant coffee was $12. Gas is $1.80 per liter which is twice what it was in Canada so owning a car might not be viable for now, if ever. A motor scooter or e-bike will probably be in my immediate future for my commutes. It is hard to haul air tanks on a bus. :lmao:

So now I am learning the new company procedures and looking forward to a lot of new adventures both above and below the surface. Am waiting for my shipped boxes to arrive and that should help to make things a little homier in time.

A while back I started a thread on local wreck diving. Little did I know then that I would be able to do it myself in a leisurely manner. Sorry for the delay. It took me this long to arrange for Internet (Long story just for THAT). However, I am up and running and should be a little more vocal than the last few days. It will take until the weekend before I am back to a regular schedule.

Posted Image
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#2 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

Sounds (and looks) wonderful Simon!

So happy for you. Let me know if you need any "care packages" from the states. :lmao:
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#3 SeaSeeker

SeaSeeker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:42+

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

Congratulations! What a great change for you. :lmao:
Carpe Diem!

#4 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

Congrats on the move!! Some friends of mine were doing a job on Bermuda and they said everything is really expensive. I wonder if having friends/family mail you some stuff-coffee-might be cheaper than buying it there.....

#5 scubagoddess

scubagoddess

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Cert Level:MAster Daiver / Rescue / Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:104+

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:51 PM

:lmao: Congratulations Simon! Sounds like a dream come true. :cool1:
There is not a shred of evidence that life is serious. ~ Ogden Nash

Be yourself, everybody else is already taken. ~ Oscar Wilde

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind! ~ Dr Seuss

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:32 PM

Congrats! Big question is, does your couch pull out into a bed? :lmao: You may get some visitors!
I'm glad the move is done, and you're settling in nicely. We missed you!
Posted Image

#7 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:33 PM

Can I visit you in Bermuda??? :lmao:

#8 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

Congrats!!!!! What a great job local for a diver........................

The SD Women are waiting on that 1st photo of you in your business attire: Bremuda Shorts and Knee socks!!!!!
Dive Safe, Ss
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#9 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

I stayed silent to not jinx it, but also because I was flying into the Bermuda Triangle on Friday the 13th and really didn't want to tempt fate any more than necessary.

Don't worry about Friday the 13th unless it's 13 October 1307 and you're a Knight Templar. Here's Why.

In any case, glad to hear that the move went well, Simon. The place looks great.

Rick

:lmao:

How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?
-Jacques Plante (retired NHL goalie)

#10 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

Terrific !!! :lmao:

#11 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

LLDN, Victoria and I are coming soon! Right girls? ~ B
Ain't love a BEACH?

#12 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

WOW how exciting!!! Congrats!!!! :lmao:
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#13 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:29 AM

Hmmmm, Simon Templar... That has a familiar ring to it... :angry:

Thanks all. Let me get my bearings and the rest of my stuff then I will be accepting visitors. My couch is just a couch, but comfy. I don't even have curtains at the moment so I am cleaning feminine nose marks off my glass almost continuously.

Knee socks and shorts? Not for the moment. It is still cool here at night. Will see what happens in the summer.

Anything six months old or less you ship or bring here will be dutied and taxed. So shipping me things will still cost. The local shops are OK once you know where to go. Luckily, 15,000 of the 67,000 island population are ex-pats so there is a huge wealth of up to date advice to access. There are a few places that are tourist based and you don't want to go anywhere near those. The foreign contingent here is represented by people from Romania, Ukraine, Trinidad-Tobago, Cayman's, Zaire, South Africa, Portugal, and UK. Plus, TONS of Canadians. I am sure there are more nationalities. Those are just the ones I have met so far.

PS. The last picture I posted was taken on the beach just down the road from me. About a kilometer long and nice white sand shore with a few rocks for pools. Beware. I was savaged by three vicious beach dogs. My hand may never recover from the licking. :angry:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#14 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:32 AM

Hey Simon,

What a dream gig, congratulations! You have full bragging rights, particularly considering the number of comptetitors and stringent interview inquiries (yes, I am acquainted with the Windows Registry system, mostly through hard experience; lessons longest learned). Bottom line:

Bravo, kudos and a great big Hooooly Cow, brother! :angry:

Incidentally, all those wise cracks at your expense... forgive and forget, water under the bridge, que sera' sera', right, Simon ol' buddy ol' pal??... :angry:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#15 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:07 AM

Congratulations on the new job and the new abode Simon!! You will have to let us all know how the diving is in Bermuda!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users