• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Venting on American Airlines

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:16 PM

Ok..I started this trip last Thursday. My flight from Miami to Santo Domingo was delayed 2 hours. My friends flight down on Friday had the same delay. Yesterday on the return we were delayed 3 hours coming back to Miami and I misconnected and ended up spending the night in South Florida.

So now today we are delayed 90 minutes so far on the flight from Miami to Denver.

What is it with this airline? Its a shame they have a monopoly on some Caribbean trips for me, because this is getting silly.

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

Its not any one carrier...insert any name and other than the monoply part and you've described the AIRLINE industry in general! :)

However since I am based in Dallas I fly AA a lot...over 65k miles a year. And in the past year (including this year) those types of delays are rare for me including flights to many Carribean destinations. In fact on my AA flight last Sunday we left 10 minutes early having boarded an entire plane of people and arrived a total of 30 mintues early into DFW and even had a gate to park at.

Of course all of that is subject to change...especially flying into my new home base of GSP :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

Hmmmm,
I just got a e-mail from my Travelocity saying that my AA departure from Fl in Aug has just been changed, I am going to use this to my advantage ( I hope ) to book the departure for later that day or the next day ?. I thought early booking would cost me less, but if could cancel my flights (no refund BTW) I could save several hundred dollars on the same flights..Interesting :)

georoc01
Sorry to hear about your troubles..I guess I need to make plans $ incase this happens to me.

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#4 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

Georoc01,

did AA tell you why the flights were delayed?

#5 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:57 AM

Georoc01,

C'mon Kimmie, you know the will never give you the 'true' reason.
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#6 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:35 AM

Georoc01,

Weather or Maintenance are the two big ones - AND WORTH THE DELAY (coming from a retired aviator).
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#7 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:49 AM

Georoc01,

Weather or Maintenance are the two big ones - AND WORTH THE DELAY (coming from a retired aviator).

I agree with Bruce

you probably had an air traffic control delay in Miami

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:17 AM

I'll take a delay over ANY airline incident...

In my years of flight...

1. I've been on a plane with a burning engine...big shooting flames and all. (We landed quite safely on the other engine but I haven't flown NW very much since that time.)

2. I've been on a plane with a burning electrical smell...we turned around and went back to our departure airport but I haven't flown Delta as much since that time either. (I know not fair but people are products of their experiences!)

3. I've been on a plane that couldn't raise the landing gear so returned to the departure airport...and no I haven't flown United that much since that time.

4. I've been on a number of delayed flights...and even a few cancelled/rescheduled ones with AA but I've always managed to adjust accordingly and figured its better to be delayed or cancelled rather than experience ANY of the problems I've had on other carriers. :birthday:

And no I'm not a huge AA.com fan...I fly them cuz their hub is where I live...DFW. However other carriers fly in and out of here so I could choose any carrier I wanted for the most part.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:20 AM

Georoc01,

DBD - gate agents dont give that info but i just look here for american and I find out the true reason real quick https://www.aacargo.com/ because when it comes to cargo if its late there are serious issues. Once i have that info then I talk to the gate agent.

FG your right on MIA this past weekend there were multiple ATC holds and delays issued due to traffic volume and some work being done on the field

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#10 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:46 AM

Georoc01,

DBD - gate agents dont give that info but i just look here for american and I find out the true reason real quick https://www.aacargo.com/ because when it comes to cargo if its late there are serious issues. Once i have that info then I talk to the gate agent.

FG your right on MIA this past weekend there were multiple ATC holds and delays issued due to traffic volume and some work being done on the field

The delay yesterday was due to the flight being delayed from Santo Domingo. The flight on the way down they said was delayed due to paperwork that the pilot was working on (1 hour, 45 minutes). I am assuming since there were maintenance crew going in and out of the cockpit the paperwork was due to the maintenance being performed.

Monday's delay wasn't American's fault. Just as we were getting ready to take off from Santo Domingo, the plan landing in front of us blew out of tire and had to be removed from the runway. The runway was closed for more than 3 hours while the tire was changed and the plane removed. However on this day, they didn't hold me flight to Denver (same flight number and equipment) and found another plane, hence I misconnected and spent an extra day in Miami.

#11 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:50 AM

Georoc01,

I wonder when the ATC system will be updated. Most airports are still using the same system from the 80's

#12 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:18 AM

FLY CONTINENTAL! :birthday: (not just because that's were my child support comes from lol)
Ain't love a BEACH?

#13 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

George not discounting a maintence issue but are you also sure its wasn't a TSA, Immigration, CBP, ICE, DHS issue as well since the flight was coming back into the US. Those agencies have made a mess of travel domestic and foriegn and if the paperwork aint right they have the right to refuse the flight and it has to be flown back where it came from.

The holding of flights doesnt suprise me that they did that as the only flights i have heard of them holding is intl long haul ones where they are waiting on a good chunk of the passengers to arrive.

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#14 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:28 AM

FG the ATC system will be replaced when they cant patch it anymore and or it crashes never to recover and be functional ever again.

#15 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

George not discounting a maintence issue but are you also sure its wasn't a TSA, Immigration, CBP, ICE, DHS issue as well since the flight was coming back into the US. Those agencies have made a mess of travel domestic and foriegn and if the paperwork aint right they have the right to refuse the flight and it has to be flown back where it came from.

The holding of flights doesnt suprise me that they did that as the only flights i have heard of them holding is intl long haul ones where they are waiting on a good chunk of the passengers to arrive.

The reason I assumed it was maintenance was because there were two workers on the plane during most of the time we were delayed at the gate including one up in the cockpit up till the time we pushed back. Then we sat for a 45 minutes on the tarmac after pushback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users