• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Utila diving at its best...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:03 PM

I am currently on Utila, staying at Deep Blue Resort. Having a fabulous week of diving. We have jumped with the Whale sharks 6 times already. I saw my first Batfish on this trip. A large toadfish, several eagle rays, turtles, electric ray, many seahorses just to mention a few. But of course the Whale Sharks... what can I say. They are awesome... The weather has been nothing short of perfect. Does one top all of this.. oh yes,,, we get to do it again tomorrow....LOL
Sea Turtle advocate!

#2 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

What good news!!! :birthday:

I leave April 25th for Utila!! I will be at The Mango Inn. It will be my first trip to Utila. What is the water temp like?? What type of wetsuit are you using?? Do you have any suggestions for good lunch places to eat ??

I hope the whale sharks hang around for us!!! :birthday:

Edited by ScubaSis, 31 March 2009 - 03:14 PM.

Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#3 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:19 AM

I am currently on Utila, staying at Deep Blue Resort. Having a fabulous week of diving. We have jumped with the Whale sharks 6 times already. I saw my first Batfish on this trip. A large toadfish, several eagle rays, turtles, electric ray, many seahorses just to mention a few. But of course the Whale Sharks... what can I say. They are awesome... The weather has been nothing short of perfect. Does one top all of this.. oh yes,,, we get to do it again tomorrow....LOL

What-no pictures??? :cheerleader:
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#4 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:29 AM

Hey Parrotman! Sounds like you're having an awesome trip thus far, that's way cool! So hello to the whole Deep Blue gang for me, okay! Thanks!

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#5 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

What good news!!! :birthday:

I leave April 25th for Utila!! I will be at The Mango Inn. It will be my first trip to Utila. What is the water temp like?? What type of wetsuit are you using?? Do you have any suggestions for good lunch places to eat ??

I hope the whale sharks hang around for us!!! :birthday:

The water temps have been a consistent 81 degrees. I only use a skin although most on the boat are diving with wetsuits. Could not tell you what mil they are. A skin has been plenty for me. I asked Shirley here at Deep Blue about the restruants, she says Piccalos, La Prata and of course Mango Inn are the best places in town.
Sea Turtle advocate!

#6 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

Whale Sharks again today. We jumped 4 times today. One of them was quite a large male. He circled around to take a look at us, then went around the boat and came back for another pass.. wanted to see if we were good to eat maybe...Lol! just kidding... What a great week this has been. Could be this is why Utila is one of my favorite dive destinations.
Sea Turtle advocate!

#7 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

Thanks Parrotman!! I hope you are still having a great time!! I'm sure you are..... :birthday:

#8 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

Whale Sharks again today. We jumped 4 times today. One of them was quite a large male. He circled around to take a look at us, then went around the boat and came back for another pass.. wanted to see if we were good to eat maybe...Lol! just kidding... What a great week this has been. Could be this is why Utila is one of my favorite dive destinations.

Parrotman, when you jump for Whalesharks are you in scuba gear or just snorkle gear? Also please ask around on chances of seeing Whalesharks in November when I'll be on island.
Safe and Fun Diving. Thanks Ss
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#9 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

Parrotman, when you jump for Whalesharks are you in scuba gear or just snorkle gear? Also please ask around on chances of seeing Whalesharks in November when I'll be on island.
Safe and Fun Diving. Thanks Ss

We jump in snorkel gear. Scuba with them is not allowed here but in reality, you would not want to anyway. We jump in deep water and they do not stick around for a real long time so it is easier to snorkel with them. November is not a time where there are common sightings. They have seen Whalesharks every month for the past year, but not frequently during the off months. The season is right now and then again in Sept.

Yesterday while we were looking for Whale sharks we had watched some Marlins breaching while hunting. It was really cool to see that.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#10 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for the posts..this place is on my todo list in the future..

#11 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

I'm on my way home :-( what a fun week. Everything worked on this trip even the flights and for anyone that has flown to Utila, you know that it can be a real adventure. Since this was one of the Whaleshark research weeks, we had presentations from several people that are doing Whaleshark projects. That was very interesting. Any one sitting on the fence about going to Utila should make the leap. I have been several times over the last few years but I must say that the diving this trip was really execeptional. Both for what we got to see and for the visibility. Some of the best vis that I have seen in the Carib in a long time.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#12 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

Oh I'm getting excited....just 21 days till Utila!!! Thanks so much for the reports....I hope it's still the same when we get there!! We are going to take the Catamaran over from Roatan....I hope we made the right choice on that. Should be a real adventure for sure!!! :teeth:

#13 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:11 PM

Oh I'm getting excited....just 21 days till Utila!!! Thanks so much for the reports....I hope it's still the same when we get there!! We are going to take the Catamaran over from Roatan....I hope we made the right choice on that. Should be a real adventure for sure!!! :cheerleader:

You will still be in the season for whalesharks. Who are you going to be diving with? Some of the shops in town are on a very tight schedule and do not spend a lot of time looking for the sharks.

The Cat over from roatan should be fun. Expect a bumpy ride but it should be fun...
Sea Turtle advocate!

#14 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

:cheerleader: Thanks for the reports. Sounds like an amazing week. Whalesharks are the bomb-dot-com, aren't they???? I'm glad you had such a great trip! Now post some pictures! :wavey:
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#15 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

Oh I'm getting excited....just 21 days till Utila!!! Thanks so much for the reports....I hope it's still the same when we get there!! We are going to take the Catamaran over from Roatan....I hope we made the right choice on that. Should be a real adventure for sure!!! :D

You will still be in the season for whalesharks. Who are you going to be diving with? Some of the shops in town are on a very tight schedule and do not spend a lot of time looking for the sharks.

The Cat over from roatan should be fun. Expect a bumpy ride but it should be fun...

I tried to see who the dive op is but could not find it. I did read on The Mango Inn's site that the boat captains take time on each dive to the North side to look for signs for the Whale Sharks. Hopefully this will be the case!! :twist:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users