• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hurricane Charley

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 August 2004 - 08:09 AM

Patience is important at this time.

We have many many members in the affected areas. Most of these members are safe and well. Some of them have no electric power, some of them have no telephone service. Many of them have no internet access.

There's no reason to believe our members are injured or in danger.

In some cases, it will be weeks before we hear from some of our members. The problem we're having is mainly one of communications. Don't jump to conclusions. I have not heard of any of our members who are injured or in danger. Patience is important. Many homes are damaged, many people are waiting out of town, in hotels or in emergency shelters. We will be hearing from our friends as communications become available to them.

Patience is important. I'll let you know as I hear from folks, I hope you will do the same.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#2 zendiver

zendiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 16 August 2004 - 08:30 AM

There have been a few people showing concern of a couple of our members, Blue Angel and her daughter Emmawolf. Has anyone seen or heard from them since the hurricane. Someone has tried calling them and hasn't been able to get in touch with them. If you have heard from them or seen them on the board this past weekend, please let us know.

Zen, is there anyway to see if BlueAngel or her daughter Emmawolf have logged on since Charlie? Both were in the path, Emmawolf lives near Captiva Island which was torn in half. I have 3 phone numbers for Blue Angel and have not been able to get through.

[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#3 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 16 August 2004 - 08:35 AM

Ok, first off, I would suggest, like Walter, that nobody jump to conclusions until we know the status of our members. It's true, they are probably fine, just cut off from communications.

I suggest we use this thread to post messages if we have heard form members along the east coast that may have been affected by the hurricanes.
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#4 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 16 August 2004 - 08:37 AM

Thank you for the information. Please keep us updated and let know if there is anything we can do.
Gar
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#5 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 August 2004 - 08:41 AM

I've left a message for Kevin (idive2) on his cell & will let you know if I hear anything from him. And, yes, patience is important, Walter, but if one of our members is temporarily homeless, I'd like them to know that they can come stay with me rather than a shelter.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#6 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 16 August 2004 - 01:20 PM

Blue Angel just left me a voice mail that she is okay but Emmawolf lost her roof and has no power. She is going over to help out and will not be joining us in FLL.
I tried calling her back to see if there was anything I could bring down but I'm not even getting her Sprint voicemail. :-D
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#7 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 August 2004 - 02:07 PM

Thanks, Ray! They will be in my prayers.

I have also heard from Kevin- he's OK, too. :cool2:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#8 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 16 August 2004 - 04:09 PM

Walter glad to hear you are oK.

There are currently 180 Cingular and 140 Sprint cell towers down in the central Florida area. There are still 500,000 people in the Orlando area without power. And many are not expected to have power until next Saturday. All of Polk county where Blue Angel lives is without power. There are several Orlando members I still haven't heard from, and Walter is right patience. After returning to work today, I learned I am located in one of the major damage areas in Orlando. In the area I live, if you didn't lose any shingles you are doing well. It is interesting driving toward Disney you would hardly know there had been a hurricane.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#9 wannadive420

wannadive420

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 16 August 2004 - 04:37 PM

Thanks everyone for the update. Let's be patient and wish for the best.

#10 Sylvia

Sylvia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:2

Posted 17 August 2004 - 03:45 PM

Has anyone heard from Matt in Ft. Myers???

#11 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 17 August 2004 - 04:56 PM

I was wrong Blue Angel lives in Highlands county south of Polk.

I just heard from scubawes1, he now has power.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#12 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:10 PM

I drove through both Polk and Highlands counties yesterday. Both were hit pretty hard. Charlotte, of course, was hardest hit.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users