• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

St Thomas Diving...Been There? Like it? Wanna Go?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:02 AM

Has anyone been diving in St Thomas? Did you like it? Love it? Why or why not? Where did you stay/dive? Would you go again? Anyone up for going?

Let us know what you think about this great dive destination! :cheerleader:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:14 AM

Never been....Always wanted to go to those Islands. Now wondering with the times if it might be safer than Cozy!!!
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#3 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

Dove St Thomas while on a cruise through there in 2005.

I remember it as being quite pleasant, but the time constraint of a cruise ship schedule was always looming in the background.

Would I go back? Yup. :cheerleader:

I believe that if it were possible to dive there in an unhurried fashion it would be an even better experience.

PPM

#4 scubachick43

scubachick43

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:101

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

OH!! BOY, I am IN on this one. I have always wanted to go to the Bahamas (mispell sorry).

#5 Sara_the_Brown

Sara_the_Brown

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW - Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:22

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

Has anyone been diving in St Thomas? Did you like it? Love it? Why or why not? Where did you stay/dive? Would you go again? Anyone up for going?

Let us know what you think about this great dive destination! :D

I went last summer (end of June, first part of July) as cruise stop and had two really nice, easy dives with the great folks at www.stthomasdivingclub.com. The weather wasn't the greatest - some clouds and earlier rain made viz not so great, but other than that, no complaints. The folks knew the area, the history and creatures very well. I had a friendly run-in with a nurse shark at the old navy barges and learned how to spot rays hiding under the sand. I wish I had more time to spend there exploring the island itself and would go back if ya'll planned a trip there.

#6 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

OH!! BOY, I am IN on this one. I have always wanted to go to the Bahamas (mispell sorry).

With respect, St Thomas is part of the USVI ( US Virgin Islands)----- NO PASSPORT REQUIRED......Diving maybe better on St Croix or St. Johns but both have less of a tourism intrastucture. I'd be interested in more details location and timeframe
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#7 scubachick43

scubachick43

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:101

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:04 PM

With respect, St Thomas is part of the USVI ( US Virgin Islands)----- NO PASSPORT REQUIRED......Diving maybe better on St Croix or St. Johns but both have less of a tourism intrastucture. I'd be interested in more details location and timeframe

The last geography class was 4th grade, so forgive me. And that was many Moons ago :lmao: . COOL thanks for the info. I guess I should have stated the USVI. :wakawaka:

#8 Rocky_B

Rocky_B

Getting started

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech
  • Logged Dives:110

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

Actually did my first dive there about 5 yrs ago. St Thomas Dive Club at Billongo (think thats how its spelled) Bay. It was a Discover Scuba class. There was a little motel in the bay right next to the dive shop. Since being there, one of the instructors passed due to illness (I think his name was Bill). It was a great location logistically. The boat moored right out front of the motel at the dock. The dive shop was 20 yards from the motel. If memory serves, we dove the Cartanza and a shallow reef for the introductory class. As far as activites in the close vicintity, I cant say there were any. All in all, a very enjoyable place.

#9 divzac

divzac

Diving Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor / Captain. I either dive or drive often in the Palm Beaches
  • Logged Dives:I kinda got lazy after a couple hundred

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

It could have been due to the operator that I threw a dart at but I had a HORRIBLE time. I signed up for the deep wreck dive and they took us to the "lagoon" area. It was obviously "dove out" and no life home, and had litter on the bottom. Sooo funny, the guide took us on the same path both dives LOL like we wouldn't know. Then for a bonus he threw in a wreck in the last 15 minutes in 18fsw. That's when I saw the HERD of "BOBs" come by. You lknow, those air pocket helmet scooter thingys........

I also dove all over St Croix and had a much better time. Plenty of life and great pier dives with all of the small critters you could think of. Really nice beach dives too. I cant think of the name right now but had a great time. Tool an excursion to the other side "Fredrickstead" for the big pier but dive mostly on the "Christianstead" side........zach
I wanna be the person that my dog thinks I am

Check out the SPREE...come dive with us!

charlies@singledivers.com

#10 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

Let us know what you think about this great dive destination! :teeth:

I went last summer (end of June, first part of July) as cruise stop and had two really nice, easy dives with the great folks at www.stthomasdivingclub.com. The weather wasn't the greatest - some clouds and earlier rain made viz not so great, but other than that, no complaints. The folks knew the area, the history and creatures very well. I had a friendly run-in with a nurse shark at the old navy barges and learned how to spot rays hiding under the sand. I wish I had more time to spend there exploring the island itself and would go back if ya'll planned a trip there.

Sara,I am a new memeber here.I was in St Thomas in July for a week.i Dove with a great shop BlueIsland Divers,which is in Crown Bay..Yes,the Navybarges,the Kennedy,The Shoal etc.Water temp was great,Vis 50'+,depending on currents. I saw a few Barracuda & Lobster.Food,people etc were friendly.Stayed at the BestWestern.Have fun. :P
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#11 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:11 PM

I'm heading to St Thomas and sailing a catamaran around the BVI's for Thanksgiving week with family/ friends (still a little space left!). I can only dive once each day according to the captain (logistics of tank refills). I'll be sticking around somewhere in the area for the next week for "proper diving" and report back what I find.
Diving; My zen space.

#12 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:26 PM

I'm heading to St Thomas and sailing a catamaran around the BVI's for Thanksgiving week with family/ friends (still a little space left!). I can only dive once each day according to the captain (logistics of tank refills). I'll be sticking around somewhere in the area for the next week for "proper diving" and report back what I find.

:D I wish the $$ was available.No Pressure,The shop As I mentioned in my comment to see is Blue Island Divers,They are located in Crown Bay.See Tony boat capt. or T J the owner. I think their rates are good & the sites were just as nice.Any other ???'s.ask away. Greg@ihpil

Edited by Landlocked Dive Nut, 29 October 2009 - 02:23 PM.
Removed your personal email, per TOS

Greg

#13 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:04 AM

Are you back yet??? :birthday: I am looking for a place to go this year and had these islands in mind. How was the trip????
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#14 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:03 AM

Are you back yet??? :cool1: I am looking for a place to go this year and had these islands in mind. How was the trip????

Hey, :thankyou: for asking, yeah I was back,back in July . I had posted sommewhat of a report after I returned.I did alot of Wreck Diving.I worked with Blue Island Divers,they are in Crown Bay.Nice shop. Reasonable on prices. i would go back in a heart beat,stayed at the Best Western.The meals at the locals is where the food gets expensive.I did just return from the Mayan area of Mexico.Did the Cenotes.Awesome!!! :cool1: Anyway ,if you have aspecific ?,ask away.
Greg

#15 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:10 AM

Sissy, if you want to go to the USVI, the diving is best on St. Croix!!

St. John has the prettiest beaches and nice snorkelling but is the most expensive of the three islands. St. Croix has the best diving and you can find some great deals on hotels & diving, and St. Thomas is known for shopping and being overcrowded (and lots of litter on the ground when I was there....I hope they've fixed that problem!).

You can fly to San Juan PR and then straight to St. Croix, too. I rented a car while there, did my boat diving with SCUBA (St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures) which is a great dive op, and they GAVE me, at no extra cost, full tanks to do afternoon shore diving with. It's quite a surface kick out to the reef from shore, but worth it! The west end pier dive at night is awesome!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users