• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

An SD Mermaid in a competition....

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

Looks like the race is getting tight and everyone needs to keep on the ball on this one.

personally the guy that caught the wrasse by swimming fast enough should be be DQ because that is harassing/causing stress to the wildlife which is major No No (and a Disqualification) in photo competitions around the world

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#17 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:27 AM

I'm voting every day. Terrific! (And, Tooth... yes, I agree with you about the guy and the wrasse. Yuk!)

#18 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:28 AM

Sometimes a single voice can make a difference. An accidental touch is one thing, but catching & wrangling with the wrasse really goes too far IMHO. Even if photoshopped, it sends a horrible message! I found a "contact us" in the Support area of the web site, and sent them the following email:

I cannot believe that you allowed a photo of someone handling & harassing a Wrasse into your Slingshot fin contest! And this guy claims to be an instructor?? He evidently does not believe or teach the divers credo: "take only pictures, and leave only bubbles". This guy should have his fins taken away, IMHO, and if he DOES win your contest, you should keep it quiet. I hope this photo is NOT indicative of how you intend to market your fins!

Tammy Hauk
Kansas City, MO

I'm not a crusader by any means, but sometimes you just have to express your opinion!
Posted Image

#19 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:39 PM

Sometimes a single voice can make a difference. An accidental touch is one thing, but catching & wrangling with the wrasse really goes too far IMHO. Even if photoshopped, it sends a horrible message! I found a "contact us" in the Support area of the web site, and sent them the following email:

I cannot believe that you allowed a photo of someone handling & harassing a Wrasse into your Slingshot fin contest! And this guy claims to be an instructor?? He evidently does not believe or teach the divers credo: "take only pictures, and leave only bubbles". This guy should have his fins taken away, IMHO, and if he DOES win your contest, you should keep it quiet. I hope this photo is NOT indicative of how you intend to market your fins!

Tammy Hauk
Kansas City, MO

I'm not a crusader by any means, but sometimes you just have to express your opinion!

Everyone need you to vote as melena is now a 100 votes behind.

Amen LLDN

also you mind posting that email address cause i would like to send one in as well. I will go dig up the email address but could you post it so others could send in there comments to the promoters of this contest. My email is going to be a little more indepth but its along the same lines as what you put LLDN

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#20 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

Everyone need you to vote as melena is now a 100 votes behind.

Amen LLDN

also you mind posting that email address cause i would like to send one in as well. I will go dig up the email address but could you post it so others could send in there comments to the promoters of this contest. My email is going to be a little more indepth but its along the same lines as what you put LLDN

I don't know if posting this is within TOS or not -- we'll see if it gets moderated out!

The only Email I could find in their Contact Us area is: support@aqualung.com

I hope they forward all emails they receive on this subject to their marketing dept!
Posted Image

#21 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

My vote for today (just now) has Malena 97 votes behind those shmucks with the Napoleon Wrasse.

C'mon peeps! We gotta help Malena win!

I hadda edit cuz apparently I need glasses er sumpin'...

Edited by Victoria, 17 May 2009 - 01:08 PM.

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#22 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:24 PM

LLDN

there is also the webdiver@aqualung address as well that i will be sending a email to, but this is so wrong considering that this photo violates the major rules as set forth my EPIC http://www.epicphoto...regulations.htm (which is the same set of rules all of the major prestigious photo competitions use as well) and this photo alone violates rules 2,3, and 5. BTW EPIC stands for The Environmentally aware Photographic Image Competition.

#23 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:55 PM

Go get 'em, 'tooth!
Posted Image

#24 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

the email is out the door, now lets see what response it gets. Ill given them till the end of tuesday before I do anything else. Till then everyone vote as many times as you can on as many computers as you can.

#25 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

To those from the outside looking in seeing this.

Im not going after the other front runner because there in competition with a cute mermaid ;). The reason i take exception to the other front runner is because it goes against everything i believe in as a photographer who seeks to shoot the UW environment as i experience it, not in how i can set it up "to get the shot" that would look great. Rather this is wrong from a conservation stand point in that this interaction causes harm to the animal that leaves it open to being injured or killed by other animals on the same level or higher in the food chain.

This divers actions also violate the rules EPIC put forth for photography and videography competitions and have been adopted and are currently used by some of the most prestigious competitions around the world below the surface as well as above. Finally when i was getting certified it was drilled into my head by my instructor that "you take only photos/video, leave only bubbles, and never ever harass/harm the wildlife".

Working in the studio is one thing where i have compete control but when photographing wildlife the ultimate goal is to get the shot, but to get the shot without altering the natural state of things.

Okay now back to your regularly scheduled programming

#26 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:03 PM

I just voted again. At this time, we're 62 votes behind.

Rick

;)

The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell

#27 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:55 AM

I voted again!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#28 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:48 PM

Go get 'em, 'tooth!

Well someone at aqualung read the email, but no response yet (may need to turn up the heat alittle if i dont get a response soon).

come one everyone melena needs your votes shes behind again by 74 votes.

#29 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

I've been voting too!! I hope it helps!!!
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#30 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

I didn't see the Napolean Wrasse in the competition any more. Was it pulled?

Rick

:lmao:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users