• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

From Weight Loss to Weight Maintenance

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:11 AM

Hi everyone. After several months of sensible eating and regular exercise, I am within a few pounds of my target weight. :angel2: :diver:

I don't want to lose much more, so I am trying to find the best way to slow and stop the loss without gaining again?

Any tips?

Edited by Mermaid Lady, 30 August 2009 - 07:12 AM.

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#2 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:20 AM

Hi everyone. After several months of sensible eating and regular exercise, I am within a few pounds of my target weight. :angel2: :diver:

I don't want to lose much more, so I am trying to find the best way to slow and stop the loss without gaining again?

Any tips?

We should compare notes. I'm off 45 with about 10-15 to go, so I'm having the same thoughts. Never one to do conform to sensibilities - I used the medifast semi-starvation route, so my eating has been nowhere close to "sensible". My doc told me to read the South Beach diet to get some ideas of healthy eating.

MORE importantly - I'm getting in the pool to see how my lead weighting will change. I used zero in FW, and 4 in salt before I started unless I was diving steel vs AL80. The last time I dove was at -20# in FW and I didn't notice any change. I don't expect to make a change in FW, but am hoping I can lose the 4 in SW.

My guess is you'll need less lead than before.

My wetsuit was getting pretty worn anyway, but I'm postponing a new one until I see how my thermal tolerance has changed - if any. I am a little worried that without the Elephant Walrus layer, I'm going to need more MMs than before.

Edited by Capn Jack, 30 August 2009 - 07:23 AM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

Congrats on nearing your target! Never an easy thing to do, especially for those of us "of a certain age", due to a slowing (or dead-stop!) metabolism.

Typically, as you near your ideal weight, your body will slow/stop your weight loss. Your body also acclimates itself rather rapidly to certain levels of exercise, which is why we plateau and get frustrated during the weight loss attempt.

Not knowing what your exercise regimen has been, it's tough to tell you what to do there. I will say that you should continue to exercise throughout your life, to try to maintain your muscular levels (after age 40, we can lose up to 10% of our muscle mass each year if we don't do something to stop the loss!) Muscle mass is a main factor in your metabolic rate. Do various strength training things 2-3 times per week (you can be creative here, not just lifting weights), along with 30 minutes of cardiovascular training 3-4 days per week as a weight-maintenance routine.

Most diets like Atkins or South Beach recommend that you add small amounts or types of foods that were prohibited during your weight loss cycle, until you find that "happy medium" - no more weight loss, but no weight gain either. This is a trial and error system that requires you to weigh yourself at least weekly to you can back away if you gain a bit.

Just my 2psi, coming at it more from the personal training side than the nutrition side! I'll leave that to our resident expert!
Posted Image

#4 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:50 AM

Congrats Teresa, Capn and Others :diver:

Any tips?

Teresa I dont know of any Silver bullets or Miricle cures.. A really Good friend of mine said this..

..sensible eating and regular exercise...

:hiya:

There should be a balance between Comfort Food and Comfortable Living IMHO.
I found that plain ol Cold Water...Yep Cold Water makes your metabolism run faster, just like when your diving, your body starts using up carb's and energy to compensate for the change in temperature, I'm not sure if the body really cares where the Cold is coming from, it just reacts to the change. Eating healthy can get boring :angel2: But if You Plan your dinning and dine your planning and keep those junk foods in the store where you saw them, you and you and You to should be fine.

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#5 Morish Idol

Morish Idol

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Cert Level:in the process of completing my OW class.

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

weight loss to weight maintenance is a touchy thing i believe. when you are trying to loss weight you try and eat less calories then what you burn by working out, walking, whatever exercise you are doing. weight maintenance is more in line of what can i eat that will keep me at or just below what i am burning off. and of course each person is different so what works for one may not work for another.
i would say to continue whatever exercise you are doing and continue to watch your portions. and try to make sure that you are near or less calories then what you are burning. and also dont forget to treat yourself to something special once a week. help keep you on that heading.
and yes i am trying to loose weight myself. so far i have lost 20 pds. still would like to loose more but not sure to what number i am going for. thinking 20 more would be fantastic.
i am trying to eat more often in the day then just one or two times a day. and also i drink alot of water a day. probably close to 2 gallons a day.. more or less..lol.
so congrats on achieving your target and contiuned support on maintaining that target. i believe that is the hardest part of any diet.. reaching and THEN maintaining your target.

#6 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

Maintaining a hot body is easy.

There are 3 components to the plan:
  • Dive
  • dive more
  • return to step one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users