• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Non-metal belt buckle for travel help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

OK, I travel ALOT for a living. One of the things I HATE to do is remove my belt when I go through a metal detector. For years I have been searching for a non-metal belt buckle, but I can't find one.

Does anyone here know of any link for one? Or better yet, how I could make something like that? Thanks in advance.

(BTW, I just got back from New Orleans and will be back there in a week or so. Any SD’ers here in that area?)
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#2 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

Moose -

The belt-less approach, as it was explained to me as I stood by holding my pants up with my hand, was to eliminate the metal belt buckle from the search. We all know the zipper and the fastener are metal and MAY make the buzzer sound, depending on the equipment at the TSA station. By making everyone go through sans belt there is a lowered chance of metal detection and less delay for the "usual' traveler.

Of course, those of us who have been residual warriors (athletic, military, general stupidity warriors) what have implanted metal pins, plates, screws, joints will get the full house search regardless of a belted or beltless security gate!

If you did have a synthetic zipper, button instead of metal pant closure and synthetic belt buckle, you MIGHT make it through the metal detector. Remember, TSA personnel are supposed to be using the same level of security with all. If men have to pull shoes off to have them X-Rayed to make sure we are not carrying IEDs, women and children do too!

Let us all hope the sophistication of detection devices will improve in the future, as well as the expansion of the CBP Global Traveler program to replace the now defunct "Known Traveler" program. Just my 2 PSI...

UP Diver :lol:
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#3 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

OK, I travel ALOT for a living. One of the things I HATE to do is remove my belt when I go through a metal detector. For years I have been searching for a non-metal belt buckle, but I can't find one.

Does anyone here know of any link for one? Or better yet, how I could make something like that? Thanks in advance.

(BTW, I just got back from New Orleans and will be back there in a week or so. Any SD’ers here in that area?)

I bought some convertible pants ( legs zip off for shorts) all nylon zippers and web belt w/ plastic quick release from REI. Dicks Sport and LLBean may have same. Check out your local army/navy sports for quick disconnect nylon buckles and some 1'' web and make your own belt. I did this for 2" crotch strap for my BP.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#4 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

I bought some convertible pants ( legs zip off for shorts) all nylon zippers and web belt w/ plastic quick release from REI. Dicks Sport and LLBean may have same. Check out your local army/navy sports for quick disconnect nylon buckles and some 1'' web and make your own belt. I did this for 2" crotch strap for my BP.

Stan -

My point was that although non-metallic fasteners may be available in a full wardrobe collection .... TSA personnel will STILL start to make noise about "...lose your belt so we can scan it...". It always reminds me of a group of south-going Zax (remember your Dr. Seuss)!

UP Diver :lmao:
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#5 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:36 PM

It's almost like a game of strip-travel! I always have to take off my shiny silver starfish necklace when I go through security.....along with shoes & belt & jacket. Maybe next time, I'll do the bra-removal trick without taking off the blouse! :lmao: Wait, no, I don't want to draw that kind of attention from no-nonsense security! :lmao:
Posted Image

#6 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:37 PM

It's almost like a game of strip-travel! I always have to take off my shiny silver starfish necklace when I go through security.....along with shoes & belt & jacket. Maybe next time, I'll do the bra-removal trick without taking off the blouse! :lmao: Wait, no, I don't want to draw that kind of attention from no-nonsense security! :lmao:

maybe I'll just strip down to my boxers next time. That should get my "point" across! 8>)
Moose

#7 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:20 PM

I use Rohan shorts and trousers. Not sure if they've made it across the pond, but they come with a webbing belt which has an all-plastic Fastex buckle.

Soon you won't need to strip anyway. They're introducing new whole-body scanners that show you as Nature originally designed you, regardless what clothes you might have on. I've seen some images, and they really left nothing at all to the imagination. Supposedly non-invasive (other than your privacy) and safe.....

#8 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:56 PM

They're introducing new whole-body scanners that show you as Nature originally designed you, regardless what clothes you might have on. I've seen some images, and they really left nothing at all to the imagination. Supposedly non-invasive (other than your privacy) and safe.....

Been through a few of the new machines.....they slow the entire process down even worse, IMHO!
Posted Image

#9 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

I use Rohan shorts and trousers. Not sure if they've made it across the pond, but they come with a webbing belt which has an all-plastic Fastex buckle.

Soon you won't need to strip anyway. They're introducing new whole-body scanners that show you as Nature originally designed you, regardless what clothes you might have on. I've seen some images, and they really left nothing at all to the imagination. Supposedly non-invasive (other than your privacy) and safe.....

We had these in Iraq. Talk about a camera adding a 10 lbs! You NEVER want to see your own scan with these!

BTW, they are pretty easy to defeat if you know how.
Moose

#10 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:44 PM

Moose and LLDN I just spit my drink all over the windshield off the truck and my toughbook.

As for pants moose I will have to look in my closet but I have several pair of light weight nylon pants I use for travel that use a backpack strap as a belt and are similar to what stan described. In any case you can get the straps easily from rei and use the as a belt. I use them frequent at work with my tactical ems pants.

No comment on TSA as I'll go way over/out of bounds if I get started on TSA.

Edited by Scubatooth, 23 October 2009 - 02:50 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#11 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

Cloth or nylon pants/shorts and cloth belt with plastic fasteners and TSA has never stopped me thur x-ray or gas analizer. They do however look closely at the dive computers because of thier ability to detect ghanges in pressure and time. I just suggest they put the gas analizer wand to the carry on bag and I'm off in less the 3 minutes. I'll time it for you tomorrow BOS-->CZM.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#12 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:17 PM

Apparently that removal trick is necessary if it has a wire... or they can wand scan and sort it all out.... NAH, they would much rather torture you THEN have you go in that "little room"! :lmao: :lmao:

#13 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:12 AM

Moose,

I'm pretty sure that Botach Tactical sells some.

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users