• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Losing weight pouches

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:16 PM

This last trip to Key largo I lost two weight pouches one each on different sides. They both came out on my left side. I am diving a seaquest pro qd plus with the sure lock weight system. I was just wondering if anybody was familiar with this system and has had any such problems?
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#2 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 02 April 2004 - 07:49 PM

Gar
I have one of those BC that has quick release weights. but to be honest i store about four LBS in the zipper locked pouch's and have the tried and true weight belt for most of my ballest. i always thought if i had to dump my weight in a hurry i would have to buy the quick release pouchs again to replace the one's i dumped. where i live that would be a hassel.

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#3 Narwhal

Narwhal

Director of Training

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:17 PM

Those sure-lock weight pockets seem to have been misnamed. And I was considering a Pro QD for an instructional BC.. I think I'd better have another look. I know the Aqualung rep pretty well. I'll ask him if he has any complaints similar to yours. According to a blurb I received from DAN awhile back, one of the causes of accidents involving rapid ascent that they mentioned was quick-release weight pockets accidently releasing. This year's line of BCs from most manufacturers seem to have buckles or some way of making them harder to get rid of. Maybe we are heading back to weight belts. Hmmmmm, I used them for forty years before I went weight integrated--maybe I was wrong to switch.
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."
Thomas Jefferson
"There is nothing more terrifying than ignorance in action."
Goethe
"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep, voting on what to eat for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote."
Thomas Jefferson
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
H.L. Mencken:

#4 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:12 AM

I use a ProQD+ as one of two primary rigs. Mine was bought before the sure-lock system came about so it uses velcro. I lost weight pouches on a couple of occasions until I started to put more weight into my "non-ditch" weight pockets in the back of the BC to minimize what I put into the front pockets. The fact of the matter is that with the velcro, if the weight pockets get too thick (are holding too much lead) they will not secure as well as they should and will tend to come out. Now, I don't carry more than eight pounds in each ditchable weight pocket as a general rule of thumb. Maybe, it's superstition but I haven't lost a pouch since :cool2:. Maybe the sure-locks have a similar issue with how much weight that the snap will take before it gives. Just my two psi worth.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 05 April 2004 - 04:05 AM

Personally, I prefer a weight belt. There's nothing about weight integrated I find desirable.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:02 AM

I'm with you on that Walter. A weight belt lets you keep the weight closer to your body and distribute, also easier to hand up to somebody in a boat. It might take two steps but both steps are lighter and easier to do then giving them a weight integrated BC. My two PSI worth.

- Chuck

#7 warren_l

warren_l

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:800+

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:44 AM

I've stopped using my weight pouches altogether as the velcro has been coming off and loosening. I suppose I could get the fixed, but I've basically been using the trim pockets and a little weight in my front zippered pockets. But I do hold about half my weight on a belt (thus ditchable) as well as using steel tanks. Works great.

#8 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:56 AM

Personally, I prefer a weight belt.  There's nothing about weight integrated I find desirable.

I use a weightbelt instead of my integrated weight system too.

Of course my belt is PINK which makes it all the better!! :cool2:

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:32 AM

I think Brian is right...there seems to be a weight limit before you run into issues with losing your lead...how much were you carrying in the pouches?

I also find that in my bc the weight pockets are right next to my gear pockets and due to all the rubber I wear to stay warm...I use more lead then most. As a result it is hard to get to my gear.

I'm looking at a dry suit which means more lead and I think I'll go back to a belt so I can free up my pockets for more goodies that I don't want dangling off my bc. No pressure even modified his weight pockets to create additional gear holding pockets and I think the idea is great!

However I might also add some pockets to the back of the bc to hold some lead as well!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#10 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:16 PM

I saw Gar's pouches, and they came lose much too easily - much easier than my new Oceanic Probe BC. I know I carry too much stuff when I board a boat, but I was glad that I had an XS Scuba weigth belt to loan him. I think he told me that his LDS was going to take care of the loses well, too, which is good news.

Most dive operators will furnish web belts for those who want them, but I don't think I've ever seen any furnished with Keepers. The little half twist on each weight doesn't work well, either. If there's any chance that you may ever find yourself using a web belt, I hope you're carrying some keepers in your bag...

don
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 06 April 2004 - 08:35 PM

Weight integrated BCs are often difficult to rerig after you've dumped weights. They are often difficult to dump weights. They are difficult to switch tanks unless you remove the weights first, so you either have to put up with them being a PITA while switching tanks or before & after switching tanks. I'll stick with a belt.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 jeadiver

jeadiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:28 AM

I've never seemed to have a problem with this, although I rarely use a bunch weight in the ditchable pockets. One of the things I learned when I was having problems wth a cummerbun once was that the Velcro closure can quickly become dirty with sand and other crud. Once I cleaned both sides out with an old toothbrush it held much better.

Edited by jeadiver, 07 April 2004 - 08:28 AM.

#13 DiverDoug

DiverDoug

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Instructor

Posted 08 April 2004 - 09:14 PM

I have been using a SeaQuest Pro QD since it first came on the market. Never had a problem losing a weight pocket nor any trouble changing tanks. Love the weight integration because the back pockets help me adjust my trim to stay horizontal in the water. A weight belt makes it too easy to stay vertical.

For those who carry a lot of weight to offset rubber, I have suggested to several students and dive buddies adding some of their weight to the tank band. It's the same two inch webbing. It keeps it off your hips and helps again with your trim.

Just my $0.02.
"It is dangerous to be right, when the government is wrong." - Voltaire

#14 tenhigh

tenhigh

Getting started

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced OW

Posted 09 April 2004 - 12:02 PM

I'm with DiverDoug. I also have an original ProQD and have never lost a weight pouch. I really dislike weight belts and haven't worn one since I bought my own gear. I like just about everything about the weight integrated system but especially the way I can adjust my horizontal trim. The one negative is that the wt. pouches take up room in my BC pockets. I had to remove a pouch underwater recently on a trip in Key Largo to get my flashlight out. Not a problem though to take it out and replace it during a dive.

#15 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 15 April 2004 - 01:55 PM

Appreciate all the good input. Especially the part tenhigh mentioned about having to take his weight pouch out to get at his flashlight. I was taking my camera in and out of the pocket on the side where I lost the two pouches. I was thinking maybe this contributed by forcing the pouch forward. The pockets kind of sit back a ways and are not the easiest things to get in and out of. I mentioned this to my LDS where I purchased the BC and they said they didnt believe this caused it. Most of the instructors there dive similar BC's and none have ever had a problem. We called the manufacture and ran thru their tests and all seemed to work fine. even so SeaQuest sent me a brand new BC and an extra weight pouch for the one I lost so I was pretty happy at their response. If it happens again I'm dumping them and going back to a weight belt. Thanks again.
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users