• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Currency exchange

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:03 PM

Hello all!

Leaving for an extended overseas stay in OZ and was wondering if it makes more sense to do a currency exchange here in the US for AUS Dollars or when in Australia?

...and would that be true for other currencies as well?

PPM

#2 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

Hello all!

Leaving for an extended overseas stay in OZ and was wondering if it makes more sense to do a currency exchange here in the US for AUS Dollars or when in Australia?

...and would that be true for other currencies as well?

PPM

There are always banks/money changers at airports, or even better an ATM at the airport nearly everywhere. The only time I ever take foreign currency at the airport prior to the flight, is when I know I am arriving at a really late hour at my destination or I know I need $$ prior to getting through immigration (such as when you have to pay for a visa on arrival, as when in PNG for example.)

I would just make sure the ATM card works in that country by asking about it from your bank.

Have a great trip!

#3 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:19 PM

I've read that it's cheapest to use the ATMs to get foreign money, cuts out the commission the exchange places charge.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#4 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

Tell your CC company where and when you're traveling - it really bites the big one when they freeze your card in BFE.

They do all charge like 3% or so, so you're not getting a free ride, just hopefully something closer to the published exchange rate than a local merchant will give you.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#5 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:25 PM

I would get some cash from my bank before leaving. Always good to arrive with local $$ in your pocket.

Give the bank a little notice before you leave but it shouldn't take them long to get your OZ cash.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#6 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

I just returned from OZ and PNG. I got the PNG money from my bank here and when I got to OZ I wished that I had done the same with the OZ money as the exchange rate while there was terrible.
I would get it from your bank here and take it with.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#7 Xcelratr

Xcelratr

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Diver
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:14 PM

I just returned from OZ and PNG. I got the PNG money from my bank here and when I got to OZ I wished that I had done the same with the OZ money as the exchange rate while there was terrible.

Jim

QFT

#1 - Assuming you deal with a commercial bank that does f/x, you'll generally get the best exchange rate from your bank. Yes, they build their fee into the exchange rate, but they're the only ones that have a long-term investment in keeping you happy by giving you a good deal. Just shop exchange rates a little bit before you go talk to them, and don't be afraid to haggle a bit. Exchange rates are generally tiered, the more $ you exchange in one transaction, the better the rate is. If you're only going to convert a few hundred or thousand, ask them what the rate is, then ask to speak to the branch manager. Tell him/her in very polite terms how long you've been with the bank, what accounts you have, how much you love being a customer of theirs, and ask him/her to call the f/x desk and get you a better exchange rate because you're such a great customer. I think you'll find that rate will be competitive with what you've found.

Fair warning - many f/x sites and listings in newspapers publish the $1 million+ rates, so if you're only exchanging a few grand, those rates probably aren't quite as good as what you'd get.

#2 - You might or might not be able to use ATMs in other countries. Some other banks have adopted smart cards that contain their readable data on a chip, so their ATMs are built to read those and cannot read a US card that has data on a mag strip. Also, realize that you'll probably be taking such small amounts out of the ATM each time, that by the time you pay the foreign bank's ATM fee and your bank's non-network ATM fee, the exchange rate ends up being unfavorable. However, there is some value in only having small amounts of cash on you at any given time. Do keep in mind, however, that you're putting your atm card info and PIN into a machine in a foreign country. The potential for fraud is probably higher and the hassle involved in getting your money back if you are defrauded is probably considerably higher.

#3 - Using your credit card wherever possible is a good idea. Your cc company will charge about 3%, but some give you whatever was the most favorable exchange rate over the course of the statement period when they post the transaction. It's also a lot less of a problem for you to dispute a charge on a credit card where it's just a charge to your account, versus a debit card where the cash is actually gone from your checking account.

And do notify your bank(s) and credit card issuer(s) where you'll be and when so that their anti-fraud software doesn't lock your card when you try to use it. And make sure you take non-800 #s for your banks with you. Most toll free numbers don't work from outside the US.

Hope this helps.
and I've learned much from both of their styles.

#8 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

Jim

QFT

#1 - Assuming you deal with a commercial bank that does f/x, you'll generally get the best exchange rate from your bank. Yes, they build their fee into the exchange rate, but they're the only ones that have a long-term investment in keeping you happy by giving you a good deal. Just shop exchange rates a little bit before you go talk to them, and don't be afraid to haggle a bit. Exchange rates are generally tiered, the more $ you exchange in one transaction, the better the rate is. If you're only going to convert a few hundred or thousand, ask them what the rate is, then ask to speak to the branch manager. Tell him/her in very polite terms how long you've been with the bank, what accounts you have, how much you love being a customer of theirs, and ask him/her to call the f/x desk and get you a better exchange rate because you're such a great customer. I think you'll find that rate will be competitive with what you've found.

Fair warning - many f/x sites and listings in newspapers publish the $1 million+ rates, so if you're only exchanging a few grand, those rates probably aren't quite as good as what you'd get.

#2 - You might or might not be able to use ATMs in other countries. Some other banks have adopted smart cards that contain their readable data on a chip, so their ATMs are built to read those and cannot read a US card that has data on a mag strip. Also, realize that you'll probably be taking such small amounts out of the ATM each time, that by the time you pay the foreign bank's ATM fee and your bank's non-network ATM fee, the exchange rate ends up being unfavorable. However, there is some value in only having small amounts of cash on you at any given time. Do keep in mind, however, that you're putting your atm card info and PIN into a machine in a foreign country. The potential for fraud is probably higher and the hassle involved in getting your money back if you are defrauded is probably considerably higher.

#3 - Using your credit card wherever possible is a good idea. Your cc company will charge about 3%, but some give you whatever was the most favorable exchange rate over the course of the statement period when they post the transaction. It's also a lot less of a problem for you to dispute a charge on a credit card where it's just a charge to your account, versus a debit card where the cash is actually gone from your checking account.

And do notify your bank(s) and credit card issuer(s) where you'll be and when so that their anti-fraud software doesn't lock your card when you try to use it. And make sure you take non-800 #s for your banks with you. Most toll free numbers don't work from outside the US.

Hope this helps.

Some questions for you.

1. I live in NYC and bank with CitiBank. I am not able to get foreign currency at my bank (unless I order a minimum of > $1000.).... Where do you bank? There is no way I would walk around or even put into the hotel safe several thousand $$. Remember that you are only allowed to leave the country with $10,000 without making a filing of leaving with that amount of currency. Much safer and wiser to get several smaller amounts via the ATM in country.

2. What countries have you had difficulty with using your ATM? All ATMs in countries I have visited have worked with my ATM card. It is necessary to have a 4 digit PIN.

3. I don't recommend using the CC for ATM withdrawals, as it is considered an advance. Using cc for purchases, good choice. Some CC don't charge extra fees, like Capital One...

#9 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:31 PM

The chipped credit card seems most popular in Europe, particularly France. I had no problem in France pulling money out of an ATM. We did piss off a French toll taker by going into a exact change/Credit Card lane at a toll booth to discover that it required the chip, but that was the only time it presented an issue.

Also, I haven't found a lot of ATMs overseas that charge for using that bank's ATM, unlike what we have here in the States.

#10 Xcelratr

Xcelratr

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:09 AM

Some questions for you.
1. I live in NYC and bank with CitiBank. I am not able to get foreign currency at my bank (unless I order a minimum of > $1000.).... Where do you bank? There is no way I would walk around or even put into the hotel safe several thousand $$. Remember that you are only allowed to leave the country with $10,000 without making a filing of leaving with that amount of currency. Much safer and wiser to get several smaller amounts via the ATM in country.
2. What countries have you had difficulty with using your ATM? All ATMs in countries I have visited have worked with my ATM card. It is necessary to have a 4 digit PIN.
3. I don't recommend using the CC for ATM withdrawals, as it is considered an advance. Using cc for purchases, good choice. Some CC don't charge extra fees, like Capital One...

1. I live in CA and bank with a community bank here. I have purchased (and deposited upon return) Yen and Euro, and was never told there was a minimum. Given Citi's global status and the fact that you're in NYC (as opposed to a small town in Nebraska or similar) I'm surprised to hear that's their policy. While I'm not interested in showing up on DHS or IRS's radar either, simply having to report taking more than $10,000 out of the country doesn't mean you can't take it. However, with the amounts you're talking about, that's neither here nor there. You need to be comfortable with the amount of cash you have with you, and if your travels will allow you steady access to secure ATMs that you know your card will work at, and that's what you're comfy with, I certainly wouldn't discourage handling it that way.

2. My most recent experience was in Japan earlier this year. Most of the ATMs would not read a mag-stripe card, they were only built to read the "smart cards" that have the chip. It is my impression that much of the rest of the Pacific coast of Asia is the same way. I found that the ATMs in 7-11 stores would read the mag-stripe US card, so I used those while there when I needed to. I believe the smart cards are prevalent in continental Europe, too. But that info is hearsay, not based on personal experience or good research.

3. I agree entirely that ATM cash withdrawals with a credit card are a cash advance and should only be used in extreme emergencies because of the interest rates that are charged. I used my Cap One Visa extensively while I was in Japan and they charged a 3% fee on every transaction. But their exchange rate was relatively favorable, so using the card ended up being roughly the same expense as the other options.

While it sounds like Citi's f/x policy may be a pain, the good news about you banking with them is they have a massive global retail network and you can find their branches and ATMs all over the damn place. If you contact them about the countries you're visiting, they (hopefully) can tell you about their locations and whether you're going to have ATM access while there.

Hope this helps.

#11 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:48 AM

For me in the Pacific rim.... the ATMs work fine in:
Philippines (although there are limited withdrawal amounts, which seem to be less than $100 equivalent)
Singapore
Indonesia
Mexico
Costa Rica

In Europe (all this year):
England
Spain
France
Italy

Anyone know where you get that form to declare your $10,000 in currency when leaving the country? (Just wondering, as I don't think I would need this option ever...)

#12 Xcelratr

Xcelratr

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:56 PM

Anyone know where you get that form to declare your $10,000 in currency when leaving the country? (Just wondering, as I don't think I would need this option ever...)

Here.

#13 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

Verbally declare it. Then they verbally inform you it has been seized because you are a suspected A) Terrorist B) Drug dealer C) Money launderer. A rather simple system.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#14 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

Verbally declare it. Then they verbally inform you it has been seized because you are a suspected A) Terrorist B) Drug dealer C) Money launderer. A rather simple system.

I think the best way to deal with this, is to simply get money from the local ATM when it is needed! Skip dealing with forms, and Customs... :bye:

#15 Xcelratr

Xcelratr

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:42 AM

Yeah, cuz our gov't is obviously big on "verbal" anything, lol. If we don't have a form for everything, what will the beauracrats do to maintain job security?

If you want to take currency, take it. Declare it and get on with your life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users