• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hooded Vest vs. Hood and Vest

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

After the Belize trip, I've decided I need yet more gear. :cool1: I'm considering a hooded vest, or a hood and a vest. I'd like to hear (read) the pros and cons. I'm also open to other suggestions. I have a 5/7mm wetsuit, a 5mm wetsuit, a 5/7 mm hood, a 3mm beanie and some other pieces that probably aren't relevant. I should have taken the 5/7 on the trip but only had the 5. I warmed up with a loaner hood (thanks to Cmdr. Clownfish) and a 3mm shorty from the dive shop.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#2 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

After the Belize trip, I've decided I need yet more gear. :D I'm considering a hooded vest, or a hood and a vest. I'd like to hear (read) the pros and cons. I'm also open to other suggestions. I have a 5/7mm wetsuit, a 5mm wetsuit, a 5/7 mm hood, a 3mm beanie and some other pieces that probably aren't relevant. I should have taken the 5/7 on the trip but only had the 5. I warmed up with a loaner hood (thanks to Cmdr. Clownfish) and a 3mm shorty from the dive shop.

:hiya: ,Lynn.Personally I have a Farmer john 7mm 2 pc & the hood is separate.i don't think there is a right or wrong here.Imo,I would have the hood separate,that way ,should it not be necessary you can remove it.Unless theres something I'm not aware of.I peronally don't care for the heavy duty mm. Rather be in a 3mm shorty :diver: ,"THINK WARM THOUGHT'S".I'm gonna try my luck in Lake Michigan this year,"SUMMER"= WARMER.Being a, sorry Tammy,"Landlocked Midwestern'er".Trying to open my option's locally,until $$ can fly me south etc. crossing my fingers on north Carolina Wreck trip..Good Luck with your opinion poll.

Edited by Greg@ihpil, 18 January 2010 - 03:14 PM.

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#3 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:21 PM

it depends on how cold the water is

if it's in the 80's, I use a beanie; if it's lower than that, then I prefer a hooded vest; the hooded vest keeps water off the back of my neck and adds a little more neoprene to my core; I also don't have to worry about water running down my back either;

the down side to either a hood or hooded vest is I can't hear what the dive boat crew is saying to me when I'm climbing up the ladder, with a beanie, it's much easier to pull a side away from the ears

and then there is the whole debate of putting the mask strap under the hood or over the hood :diver:

#4 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

:hiya: ,Lynn.Personally I have a Farmer john 7mm 2 pc & the hood is separate.i don't think there is a right or wrong here.Imo,I would have the hood separate,that way ,should it not be necessary you can remove it.Unless theres something I'm not aware of.I peronally don't care for the heavy duty mm. Rather be in a 3mm shorty :diver: ,"THINK WARM THOUGHT'S".I'm gonna try my luck in Lake Michigan this year,"SUMMER"= WARMER.Being a, sorry Tammy,"Landlocked Midwestern'er".Trying to open my option's locally,until $$ can fly me south etc. crossing my fingers on north Carolina Wreck trip..Good Luck with your opinion poll.

I should have mentioned - living in MN I'm fully suited for diving here with a 7mm core warmer for over the 5/7, the 5/7 hood, gloves, full booties, etc. I'm looking for options to warm up on trips to warmer climates. Belize was the first trip I've been on that I had a hard time with the water temp of 78 and the air temp below that and no sunshine to warm up in. :D
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#5 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

Lynn -

Sounds familiar.... I start with a 2/3 mm shortie and pretty much dread going to a full 3mm. I haven't needed to take the 'final step' lately (shortie under the full) to act as core warmer. I too have a hood, but realized that it really limited my field of vision. To look left and right I have to spin my whole body! Although the hood is a 3 or 5mm Hyperstretch, it still, well, is too confining.

For most instances, if I think I am going to chill I go with a beanie (but have a backup Scap in a 3X ugly red paisley color so you always know it is me...). Kimmie is on the money with the advantage of a hood keeping your neck warm, too. For me it is my Opie-style ears, not my neck that chills.

Regarding keeping warm when you are in the air during surface intervals, as you exit pull on the legs of your wetsuit to release any trapped water, then just leave the suit on. A 3,5,7 mm wetsuit is a whole lot of extra insulation, even to you svelte Scandahoovians from the Cities! You might want to check out a dive coat, too (overkill for this guy)!

I do understand your need for layers though. The coldest August I have ever experienced was the one I spent on staff in Detroit Lakes, MN after my sophomore year as undergrad! I get cold thinking about mornings it was 32F in the first week of August! Let's just say I knew I was a LONG way from Texas!

UP Diver
:diver:
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#6 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

I like the options approach. I do not own a 7mil wet suit of any flavor. My new Whites fusion dry suite fills that nitch very well. I have a 3mil one piece and a 5mil hooded vest. I wear that combo down to about 68 F then go to the dry suite. if I get warm in the 3mil and 5mil hooded vest combo I can pull the hood down in the back. I can wear my beenie as well for a bit of protection and warmth if I want to. the last piece I have is a .5mil skin. So with combinations of these 4 pieces I am comfortable from 68 to 85 F. I also keep notes in my dive log as to the water temps and what I was wearing and whether I was cold or not.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

The only real advantage I can see to a hooded vest over a hood is it is one less piece of equipment if you want both so its easier to keep up with. I tried a hooded vest first and hated it. A separate hood is hard to get in an out of but a hooded vest seems like its about 5 times harder to me. That made up my mind real quick. Plus you can take a hood off without removing half a wetsuit real easily.

Then again what do I know... apparently I dive naked now :diver:

#8 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

The only real advantage I can see to a hooded vest over a hood is it is one less piece of equipment if you want both so its easier to keep up with. I tried a hooded vest first and hated it. A separate hood is hard to get in an out of but a hooded vest seems like its about 5 times harder to me. That made up my mind real quick. Plus you can take a hood off without removing half a wetsuit real easily.

Sorry I forgot the fact that my hooded vest is a hyperstretch type!! makes a huge difference between hyperstretch and straight jacket!! :hiya:

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#9 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

I like the hooded vest for the same reasons Kimmie mentioned. It keeps cold water from getting down the back of your suit. Then sometimes a beanie is all you need.

As for the mask strap, I've tried it both ways. When I wear my mask over the hood, there is more of a tendancy to break the seal and get water in my mask. It's no fun if you have to clear your mask several times throughout your dive.

#10 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

Scott -

I have never been in the true Comando mode diving, but don't try to tell me you have never gotten to the lake and found you are missing your trunks! Being resourceful, you take the fallback position of diving in your underwear. Only when you get out does the realization strike you that an hour drive home in wet undergarments (and NOT dry suit underwear) does the 'comando' mode come into play...

Come on now, fess up!!!

UP Diver
:hiya:
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#11 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:38 PM

Belize was the first trip I've been on that I had a hard time with the water temp of 78 and the air temp below that and no sunshine to warm up in. :diver:

So water temp this past week 78', what was the air temp??.

I just returned from Aruba water temp 79-80 '. Air 85. Most dives 45 mins. and I was cold end of every dive, Wearing my standard 3mm with beenie. I'm going to try my 5/4/3 this weekend in Rincon. Funny how only 3 or 4 degrees can make a big difference at 83' I'm comfy.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#12 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:46 PM

Belize was the first trip I've been on that I had a hard time with the water temp of 78 and the air temp below that and no sunshine to warm up in. :diver:

Air temps started in the low 70s on Sunday warming up slightly each day. On Friday we had full sun and much warmer temps probably mid 80s. The Blue Hole water temp was 73 according to my computer, others registered even cooler.

Great input everyone. Keep it coming. :hiya:

#13 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Best advice I can give you is to go to your LDS, and try them all out in the pool! That will tell you which setup works best for you. If your LDS does not let you "try before you buy", then find another LDS! :diver:
Posted Image

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:18 PM

Scott -

I have never been in the true Comando mode diving, but don't try to tell me you have never gotten to the lake and found you are missing your trunks! Being resourceful, you take the fallback position of diving in your underwear. Only when you get out does the realization strike you that an hour drive home in wet undergarments (and NOT dry suit underwear) does the 'comando' mode come into play...

Come on now, fess up!!!

UP Diver
:hiya:

fortunately for the rest of the world, my commando diving exists only in Lynn's mind. I am far too scared of snapping an moray eels to be a human lure.

#15 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

Scubaski

I just returned from Aruba water temp 79-80 '.

Really "I'm just saying" :diver:

Kimmy those are really good points

the hooded vest keeps water off the back of my neck and adds a little more neoprene to my core; I also don't have to worry about water running down my back either;

the down side to either a hood or hooded vest is I can't hear what the dive boat crew is saying to me when I'm climbing up the ladder, with a beanie, it's much easier to pull a side away from the ears

You can put holes in the hood around your ear area to help solve that problem.

Sandy and Tammy those are good points as well !

Me.... I like having the option to switch to a hood or not wear one.. it all depends... O ya mask over the hood.

I hope this helps Lynn

Edited by Bubble2Bubble, 18 January 2010 - 09:24 PM.

Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users