• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hooded Vest vs. Hood and Vest

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

The thickest wetsuit I've ever owned is a full 5mm, and that I wore for just one trip to the Red Sea when I was told I would need it. I didn't. I have it here in Belize but I've never used it. I did have a suit with an integral hood, but after my first (weekend) trip I had it taken off. Way too restricting/constricting. I have a 2mm hood that I wear with my drysuit but at no other time. That hood does have holes by the ears, but it still restricts my hearing.

I'm still diving here every day in just my diveskin, though I was getting a bit chilly yesterday on the second dive. Today was sunny and warm between dives and underwater was no problem. We'll see what tomorrow has in store. I haven't worn a neoprene wetsuit in about five years, and I doubt if I'll start now. People on the Belize trip may have noticed that all the dive staff, including Patojo, were diving in just shorts and rashguard.

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:53 AM

Water temps in Belize this past week ranged from 81 on one dive to as low as 78 on our regular dives. The Blue Hole was notably cooler at 72 degrees on my computer but the other dives on Half Moon Caye and Long Caye were 76 and 78 respectively.

The air temps were the problem as they were in the low 70's the first part of the week and did not fully warm up until the end of the week to the mid 80's. We also had a lot of wind so people lost body core and had a hard time regaining it...hence the topic at hand.

And yes the DM's and diving staff at Patojos wore only board shorts and rash guards while the diving staff at AquaDives who we dove with for the Blue Hole and Turneffe wore two overlapping 3mil shorties.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 scrappykidz

scrappykidz

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Board Status:back on the short bus...
  • Cert Level:AOW - new diver
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:41 AM

Best advice I can give you is to go to your LDS, and try them all out in the pool! That will tell you which setup works best for you. If your LDS does not let you "try before you buy", then find another LDS! :welcome:

Where do you go in KC?

Bought fins & booties/mask/snorkel through the guy that teaches here at K-State... rolled the dice on a 3 mil shorty for my Belize trip (didn't end up using it) from a not to be named web-site. Up to 14 whole dives and have yet to be in a dive shop in Kansas... guess that places me firmly in the n00b camp...

#19 ArtRunScuba

ArtRunScuba

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver. 18 liveaboards
  • Logged Dives:675

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:46 AM

Lynn-- I took a five mile hood and a three mil vest with five mil hood and tried both. Preferred the vest and hood combo and it made no difference at all with my boyancy and weights required. In fact, in addition to keeping me warmer, it was easier to put on my 5 mil suit over it. I have also used it with my 3 mil suit and in Bonaire I may well try it with my 1 mil. I also wear the hood to protect my head from sun. Ironically even though Galapagos was much colder than Belize on our trip last week with water temps between 64 and 70 and thermoclines to 60, I used the same 5 mil suit and 3 mil vest with 5 mil hood there, plus of course gloves.

#20 PilotDiverBrad

PilotDiverBrad

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:21

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

Water temps in Belize this past week ranged from 81 on one dive to as low as 78 on our regular dives. The Blue Hole was notably cooler at 72 degrees on my computer but the other dives on Half Moon Caye and Long Caye were 76 and 78 respectively.

The air temps were the problem as they were in the low 70's the first part of the week and did not fully warm up until the end of the week to the mid 80's. We also had a lot of wind so people lost body core and had a hard time regaining it...hence the topic at hand.

And yes the DM's and diving staff at Patojos wore only board shorts and rash guards while the diving staff at AquaDives who we dove with for the Blue Hole and Turneffe wore two overlapping 3mil shorties.

I noticed the Chochrain computers that WW provided showed a higher temperature than my computer. John and I both dove an Oceanic DataMax Pro Plus II. I showed temps down to 66 on a couple of dives, but there was a definite thermocline and WW typically stayed at a higher level than I did on most dives. Eric and I discussed the difference in water temperatures we were reading. On one of those same dives Eric showed a mid 70s temp. Patajo then indicated his computer showed high 60s for the water temp matching mine.

For the week I used a 3mm full wetsuit and found it comfortable except when out of the water and we were underway back to the dock. On several of the dives when my computer would indicate low 70s to upper 60s the temp was on the cool side but not enough to effect my diving.

Lynn, since you indicated the 3mm shorty over your existing suit worked good maybe you should pack the body warmer that you have and get a hood. The best choice seems to be a layering that would allow you to remove pieces if too warm, but have enough to cover you and keep you warm if you are too cold.

#21 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

A hooded vest will give you less water movement through it than a hood and vest combination and would therefore keep you warmer.

Fit is important. It should be snug, but not tight and easy to put on. I do have Hyperstretch gloves that work rather well, but have never used a hooded vest. Style and color choice, I leave in your hands. :thankyou:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#22 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

I always wear a hooded vest under my full wetsuit whether it is winter or summer in SoCal. As fingrabber said, it kelps the water from trickling down your back better than most unhooded vests coupled with a separate hood. I do keep a separate hood and I have an unhooded vest as well, but they are not used very often. One of the problems with them is getting the hood tucked under the wetsuit properly. No problem with the hooded vest.

#23 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:05 AM

Wearing the correctly fitting exposure suit in the water is very important to keeping your core body temperature up during repeated diving.

HOWEVER, even more important is what you do after the dive to keep from getting chilled.

That means you take off your wetsuit after the dive and get yourself dry! No riding back in the boat in the wetsuit and the wind/breeze. If you have a windbreaker put it on top of your wetsuit, or even better after you take off your wet wetsuit. Putting on warm clothes, polartech will keep you warm even if it is wet!, is paramount to getting/staying warm.

So everyone, do not forget what to do between the dives to keep warm, and that will make your next dive much more comfortable.

I personally use a Henderson gold core 5 mm wetsuit for nearly all my diving, from 74 degrees up to 83 degrees. Above that temp, I go to the 3mm Gold Core. The gold core sheds off the water, so the wetsuit is dry (essentially) when I go to put it on for the next dive. SOOOOOOOO much better than putting on a cold wet nasty regular wetsuit. Oh Plus a beanie for every dive. Dive socks (yes they get wet, but not too bad) and dive gloves.

Edited by secretsea18, 20 January 2010 - 11:06 AM.

#24 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

That means you take off your wetsuit after the dive

Only if you're wearing neoprene. The diveskin I use is lined with Polartech and keeps me warm even on the boat ride back.

#25 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

That means you take off your wetsuit after the dive

Only if you're wearing neoprene. The diveskin I use is lined with Polartech and keeps me warm even on the boat ride back.

Hmmmm..... I did say "wetsuit". :respect:

#26 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:00 PM

Well, mine is made for diving and I dive in it, and it gets wet. What else is it?

#27 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

Well, mine is made for diving and I dive in it, and it gets wet. What else is it?

I believe you called it a "diveskin" on your previous post.

However, if you do not need to try to stay warm, and are fine in it, then please, by all means, keep it on.

#28 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

HOWEVER, even more important is what you do after the dive to keep from getting chilled.

That was definitely part of the problem. I didn't bring a towel with me so drying off was tough. I normally just pull off the wetsuit and put something on that's dry but the surface temps were cool when damp. So, yet more gear to get - a travel towel and something windproof to put on between dives.

Edited by lynnlchan, 20 January 2010 - 09:35 PM.

Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#29 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

That's right, it is a diveskin and it's made by a company called "Diveskins" somewhere near Los Angeles. It is very warm above water, even when wet, and surprisingly warm underwater. I find it warmer underwater than most 3mm neoprene suits, and dramatically warmer above water than any neoprene suit.

#30 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:29 AM

That was definitely part of the problem. I didn't bring a towel with me so drying off was tough. I normally just pull off the wetsuit and put something on that's dry but the surface temps were cool when damp. So, yet more gear to get - a travel towel and something windproof to put on between dives.

Lynn, FYI ,Not to change the subjectbut,I picked up one of those "Microfibre" towels.Kinda like a squeegee.Holds more water than a towel and is compact.Does a nice quick job getting dry.Fairly inexpensive. :tears:
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users