• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Going 21st Century- with a router

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

Last, if you get DSL, invest a few bucks in a router with a firewall. You can get to the Internet much faster with DSL, but the Internet can also get at you faster. Don't depend on a software firewall like the one built in WinXP or Vista. Even Microsoft recommends you not rely on those products exclusively. If you get a router firewall with wireless capabilities use encryption on the link.

Okay...so I made the plunge and will move from 56k speed to 1.5 Mbps next week (I know, I know...some of you are saying...SLOW, baby, SO SLOW... but it's fast for me! :D ) I'm going with Comcast's basic internet service until I see how things go... and then make any necessary changes if I find that I want more SPEED! :P

I headed to my friendly electronics store today and stared at routers... figured I would go ahead with an N router rather than a G so that I'm prepared if and when I head for faster speeds (besides it was on sale and my inner cheapskate got the best of me). I see that it says on the box that it has a firewall... is this what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance to all my techie friends who understand it takes a bit to tug me into the 21st century! :lmao: :teeth:

#2 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:15 PM

WooHoo!!

More speed!!

you really won't believe the difference until you experience it yourself :teeth:

#3 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:24 PM

Congrats,

Now the bad news. You 'N' rated router has a wireless speed of:

802.11n = 150 - 300 MB/s

802.11g = 54 MB/s

802.11b = 11 MB/s

With your net speed being only 1.5MB/s you could have stuck with an older B model and still had lots of headroom. Now if you have two PC's on that router transferring files back and forth then life will be sweet. However, to the Internet will be limited in speed. :teeth:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#4 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:35 PM

Okay, I knew I'd get info from my techie friends here.. :D
Still haven't opened the box... and I'm guessing the small n, g, and b after the 802.11 refers to the "N", "G"...and as you mentioned "B"...
I didn't see the "B" routers in the store...

If I do go to a higher internet speed in the future and have two computers on using wifi at the same time are you saying the G will handle things up to a speed of 54 Mbps? and a N will handle 150-300 Mbps?... I knew I was overbuying, but perhaps it was a little excessive... and yet wasn't that much more than the G with the sale price...

Since I can only have one computer on the internet now at a speed of at most 56 kbps... anything looks much faster! :teeth:

• Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

Okay, I knew I'd get info from my techie friends here.. :D
Still haven't opened the box... and I'm guessing the small n, g, and b after the 802.11 refers to the "N", "G"...and as you mentioned "B"...
I didn't see the "B" routers in the store...

If I do go to a higher internet speed in the future and have two computers on using wifi at the same time are you saying the G will handle things up to a speed of 54 Mbps? and a N will handle 150-300 Mbps?... I knew I was overbuying, but perhaps it was a little excessive... and yet wasn't that much more than the G with the sale price...

Since I can only have one computer on the internet now at a speed of at most 56 kbps... anything looks much faster! :teeth:

yep that is right. The don't sell B only routers anymore. The N will make file transfers between on your wifi network really fast but the internet will not be fast enough to touch it until that router gives up the ghost. Its not a bad buy though so don't get too upset. If you decide to download a movie or music and then stream it to something else on your network then you will be glad you have it. You will never use dialup again after this.

#6 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

You could also plug into the back of the router too

I use my wireless when I'm in a part of the house other than my computer room; if I'm in the computer room, I plug in for faster speed

#7 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

The other thing is that not all devices support the old 'B' protocol, only 'G' or 'N'. So stick with what you have.

I upgraded my Tivo last fall to HD and found that the new wireless card wouldn't connect to my older network. I could give you my old one, but I would recommend to just stick with the 'N' you have.

And while it sounds like it shouldn't matter, it does seem to have made a difference, and I'm on the same Comcast service you will be on.

#8 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

Also be sure to secure, ie password protect, your router when you go through the setup. You would be amazed at the people that skip this step. If you don't you are leaving your network open to anyone that can "see" it.

#9 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:35 AM

Also be sure to secure, ie password protect, your router when you go through the setup. You would be amazed at the people that skip this step. If you don't you are leaving your network open to anyone that can "see" it.

I had 4 people in my last neighborhood that had unsecure routers. I had free internet for over a year. In my new place everyone within range has a secure network. So I had to get the cable modem and I secured my wireless router.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:24 PM

I had 4 people in my last neighborhood that had unsecure routers. I had free internet for over a year. In my new place everyone within range has a secure network. So I had to get the cable modem and I secured my wireless router.

So THAT's how you financed your dive trips last year...FREE Internet! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#11 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:10 PM

Works for me! :P

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#12 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

Well, one more week with dial up. The port at the pole behind my house is damaged... so I have to wait for that to be replaced and that work isn't done on weekends. The good news, it WILL be up next Saturday as I'm changing phone service to Comcast also... so cash is on the line if it's not done by next Saturday. Looking forward to getting up to speed! :wub:

#13 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:03 AM

That's a bit of a let down. All set to ramp up to a speedy new router and then you run into a delay. :thankyou:
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#14 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:49 PM

Yes, a bit... but I can get on the internet ... so I guess I'm just waiting to REALLY appreciate what I'll have! :)

#15 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:45 PM

I hardwired my entire house back when i built it. I will never be a fan of wireless. I can pick u at least 6 or 7 wirless networks in my development.

Which end is up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users