• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010-07: Dive on History...NC's Graveyard of the Atlantic July 2-6, 2010

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#196 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

Graveyard of the Atlantic MAP.

#197 sparky103

sparky103

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

Notice:

I have made some changes in the first post to clarify your packages. There are a lot of extras for this trip, so if you see anything that doesn't look right, don't panic please, just send me a PM and let me know.

These are a few things I changed:

1) If you are driving in I put you down for the 3/3 package with the extra day instead of the 4/3. No need to pay for the airport transfers if you are driving.

2) If you have chosen S/O for the extra day, the cost is $125.00. The $65 price is for d/o.

3) There is always a chance that WW has not notified me yet of any possible payments that you may have made. If the numbers don't look right, send me a PM and let me know. I will get your payments verified.

4) If you have requested cert classes, those are not included in the first post. WW will let us know what classes are available and the prices.

5) Richard - Don't know yet about your s/o request, so your pkg is subject to change.

6) Kate - I will be contacting you.

Can I please panic anyhow? :D
There's a fine line between stubborn and stupid. Pete Dexter

There's hope,  just not for us. Franz Kafka

When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself. jacques-yves cousteau

I rise every morning torn between the desire to save the world, or to savor the world. E B White

In three words I can sum up life: It goes on. Robert Frost

#198 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:42 PM

Graveyard of the Atlantic MAP.

Thanks for thinking of that!!!

Here is a link to some additional information I found interesting...

http://www.nc-wreckd...shipwrecks.html

I'm a dork and bought a book about the NC wrecks, so I "read up" on the U-352 before I dove it last weekend... definitely adds flavor to the dive for me, knowing the history!
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#199 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:10 AM

Can I please panic anyhow? :thankyou:

:thankyou: You're not that kind of guy Sparky!

#200 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:17 AM

Week from today and WE'RE DIVING!! :thankyou: :thankyou:

• Guests

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

So does anybody know the water temp at depth in NC this time of year? Gotta pack the right suit!!!

#202 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

So does anybody know the water temp at depth in NC this time of year? Gotta pack the right suit!!!

Scott

I had 77 deg at 114 feet on memorial day. I expect a couple degrees either side of 80. with the gulf stream near by it does vary but that should get you in the ball park. I dive a 3mil but I take a hooded vest and a beanie to give me options.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#203 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

IMPORTANT TEMPERATURE UPDATE:

The Gulf Stream has arrived but not fully yet. However it can sweep in overnight in these parts. As of this past weekend aka yesterday and Saturday the temps were 80-83 AT THE SURFACE and 75-77 AT THE BOTTOM so there is still a thermocline depending on the wreck. For many if they plan for the warm water they are fine the reason is once you leave the bottom the warmer water will feel VERY WARM and you may be too hot doing your safety stop. Also keep in mind the bottom is usually only the last 20-40 feet on a 100 ft dive so you will come into warm water fairly soon. Plus the warmer waters could arrive this week meaning it will be top to bottom 80 degrees.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#204 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

IMPORTANT LOGISTICS UPDATE FOR THE WEEK:

Hey gang...let me share a little insight into the psyche of this trip.

1. The first boat to a dive wreck is the BEST BOAT. It has the first choice of where to hook into the wreck and will choose the premier spot on the site/wreck. WE WANT TO BE THE FIRST BOAT ON ALL THE WRECKS WE DIVE.

2. Unless we have weather or seas issues...if another boat is on a wreck then we will NOT dive that wreck but rather will move to another site. HOWEVER we will dive it if the conditions make it the most optimal site to dive SO WE WANT TO BE THE FIRST BOAT ON A WRECK...it gives us more flexibility.

3. Most people want to do a different wreck on each dive. However several factors could influence you doing 2 dives on the same wreck. Those are weather and sea conditions i.e. if we do a 2nd dive on this wreck we'll have good conditions home but if we move to another wreck we'll have a bad ride home. Or this wreck has no other boats on it but the other wreck as 3 on it already. Or the diving was soooooooooooooooooooo awesome on this wreck and its not normally this good so its not worth the risk to move to lesser conditions. All in all its a bit of a crap shoot but we maximize seeing as many different wrecks as we can AS WELL AS the best ones. :birthday:

4. While on the subject of which wrecks we will dive here are the ones I am planning barring no weather issues:
a. The U-352 German U-Boat - signature NC wreck. Can easily be seen and enjoyed in 1 dive.
b. The USS Schurz - Sunk in 1918 and argueably the best wreck other than the uboat. Also a signature NC wreck and is a perfect wreck to dive twice if needed.
c. The Spar ONLY because it has become a signature sand tiger shark wreck. Can easily be seen and enjoyed in 1 dive.
d. The Caribsea as its is only 80ft so will give more bottom time AND it is always teaming with sharks. The vis is usually a few feet less as it is an 'eastward' wreck vs a 'southern' wreck but it is beautiful and easy to dive and makes a lovely dive for 2 dives if needed.
e. The wreck formerly known as the Papoose but now the Hutton. This USED to be the big sand tiger wreck as it was deeper but the sharks have chosen other wrecks for their playgrounds. It is a lovely wreck and BIG and can accommodate several dives on it but it is also deeper and farther out. If the seas are rough we will not do this wreck or if people are not getting enough bottome time we may skip it to maximize total diving time.

5. Some background on the wrecks...those considered 'inshore' wrecks such as the Indra, Suloide the wreck formerly known as the Hutton which is now the Papoose, etc are usually 2-3 degrees cooler than the offshore wrecks and vis is usually 5-20 ft less depending on how far the gulf stream has come into shore. So basically they are the not the optimum wrecks we plan to dive however any wreck is a good wreck if its diveable, So we save these wrecks for those weekends where we can't get offshore due to weather or conditions. This is not usually a problem for the 4th of July weekend but the weather can change in a flash so you never know.

6. In order to be the first on a wreck you have to either have the fastest boat and be willing to burn the extra fuel or you have to leave a bit earlier. While our boat is one of the faster boats in the area (it is not the absolute fastest)...we do not like to burn fuel needlessly so choose to leave a bit earlier instead. ALL boats leave within 30-60 minutes of each other so even 30 minutes is huge. We have traditionally left the dock at 6:30am and had our pick of the wrecks. This will be our plan for this trip as well. That means we have to be on the dock at 6am (5:45 the first day to get lead, tanks etc.) and the dock is 1.5 blocks from the hotel...totally and easy walk. Everyone will receive a 5:30 wake up call (5:15 the first day) and you are encouraged to talk to your roomie and work out your personal schedule between you. (Several of us will be in the 'bunkhouse' which is my favorite room in the hotel and we'll do our own planning but are usually on the early wake up call.)

7. BIG BOY AND GIRL DIVING...this venue is NOT a party venue. It is a serous venue and is one of the world class wreck and sharkdiving adventures you can have. YOU WILL BE A BETTER DIVER AFTER DIVING IT!!! So I ask the following of peeps:
a. If you wish to party a bit ....arrive in Atlantic Beach EARLY and start EARLY so you can hit the rack EARLY as we have to get us REALLY EARLY aka 5:15 the first day and 5:30 each day after!!!!
b. After you have made it thru the first day and if you have enough energy then plan to celebrate more then. Do not be surprised if you are ready to crash around 9pm or shortly thereafter. THIS IS NORMAL and even happened in Cozy this past week which is an easier destination.
c. Heavy drinking/partying and serious diving DO NOT MIX. This is a serious but fun diving venue...and this is still in my top 3 venues in the WORLD along with Galapagos and Wakatobi and right up there with Red Sea and Fiji. But to enjoy it you MUST BE WELL RESTED so you won't get sea sick. You MUST BE WELL HYDRATED and hopefully WELL MEDICATED WITH SEA SICKNESS PILLS JUST IN CASE!!! Rarely will you be ill underway but once we stop for a couple of hours to do a wreck you often will get queasy...so the meds, + light food + lots of hydration + LOTS OF REST will keep you feeling wonderful.

There is a DIRECT CORRELATION BETWEEN THOSE WHO LOVE NC WRECKDIVING AND THOSE WHO HATE IT AND IT CORRELATES PERFECTLY TO THOSE WHO WERE SEASICK AND THOSE WHO WERE NOT. Those who were sick hated diving here or at best could take it or leave it. Those who felt good loved the diving or at least had a great trip and would mark it off the bucket list.

8. FOOD...due to our early departure we will have BREAKFAST on the dock with coffee and juice in the morning starting at 5:35am. Breakfast will consist of fruit, granola bars, juice, some sort of muffin or donut and SOMETIMES a sausage biscuit if I can find them at Sam's club. So pls grab breakfast on the way to the boat if you are not an early riser. LUNCH will be on the boat each day we are diving. It will consist of ham and turkey and cheese for sandwiches, mayo & miracle whip, mustard (regular and spicy) both dark and light bread and usually a veggie tray the first day and possibly the 2nd day depending on availability etc. We will have some fruit for lunch, chips, cookies and other snacks for between dives such as pretzels, trailmix, candy, etc. We will have LOTS OF WATER, an assortment of sodas including diet and regular which I will query in the special forum preferences on sodas. We will do one COOKOUT ON THE DOCK on Saturday after our first day of diving and it will consist of steak, chicken, pork, fish...each of which will be marinaded individually. We will have potato salad, cole slaw and steamed veggies on the grill. If all goes well we'll have homemade deviled eggs but I can't guarantee this. (If I have full vegetarians pls let me know so I can plan to have boco burgers etc in addition to the veggies, slaw and tater salad.) We will also have a full complement of beverages including some beer and wine. We'll query wine and beer preferences in the private forum as well.

9. ARRIVAL TIMES: If you plan to arrive in Atlantic Beach early (before the group arrives) pls let me know so those rooms can be prepared early. The group will hopefully arrive from RDU between 7-7:30 and we'll shoot for dinner at 8pm. If this is too late for you then you can plan accordingly. Our last arrival is right at 3pm and it will take 3-3.5 hours to get there plus we have to get the bags of the last person so safely assume 7-7:30 pm arrival. If you are driving and have NEVER DOVE NC BEFORE then plan to arrive no later than 9pm. If you have dove NC before and driving then plan to be at the hotel NO LATER THAN 11pm so you do not disturb your roommate. If you arrive VERY LATE your room will be left unlocked so you can slip in for some rest but you will be VERY UNHAPPY THE NEXT DAY WHEN YOU HAVE TO GET UP SO EARLY. (Note: If you go without sleep YOU WILL GET SEASICK...I promise you. So do not push your rest...you need it!)

I will post the hotel info again in the next post for those driving in and for those needing emergency contact info.

10. DIVING INFO...This venue will not as said before have a dive master leading you on the dive nor one inwater other than myself. So it is imperative that you and your buddy work out a dive plan for the wreck. Keep in mind that compasses are of limited value due to all the metal of the wrecks throwing off the readings. So natural nav is best. We will show you a simply star or hub and spoke pattern which you should already know if you have ever done the SD Rent-A-Buddy program. We use that navigation pattern for these wrecks ALL THE TIME. The u-352 is the only real exception as we normally anchor on one end and you go to the other end 200ft and then turn around and go back an you are at the anchor. Many wrecks are HUGE and you can not navigate them this easily. Again using a star pattern from the anchor swim out a ways and turn around and come back. Then go in another direction and swim a ways and then turn and come back. If you do this over and over you will cover A LOT OF GROUND, you will always know where the anchor is and you will never get lost.

One note: most of these wrecks do not have many penetration opportunities however if you wish to penetrate AND you are properly trained please let us know and we'll see if we can allow it. :welcome:

More later...gotta get some other stuff done.

KEEP CHECKING THIS THREAD AND THE PRIVATE FORUM FOR ONGOING DETAILS!!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#205 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

Availability Update:

Ok its been a zoo lately and I really need to get people using the site vs email but the divemaster's wife took the last spot on the trip while I was in Mexico and Christine took the (1) diving only spot that Richard aka ScubaVazz paid for so he could have a single room.

The trip is now OFFICIALLY FULL!

We can open a waiting list in case I don't receive payments but we should be full. -ww

formerly...

#206 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

9. ARRIVAL TIMES: If you plan to arrive in Atlantic Beach early (before the group arrives) pls let me know so those rooms can be prepared early. The group will hopefully arrive from RDU between 7-7:30 and we'll shoot for dinner at 8pm. If this is too late for you then you can plan accordingly. Our last arrival is right at 3pm and it will take 3-3.5 hours to get there plus we have to get the bags of the last person so safely assume 7-7:30 pm arrival. If you are driving and have NEVER DOVE NC BEFORE then plan to arrive no later than 9pm. If you have dove NC before and driving then plan to be at the hotel NO LATER THAN 11pm so you do not disturb your roommate. If you arrive VERY LATE your room will be left unlocked so you can slip in for some rest but you will be VERY UNHAPPY THE NEXT DAY WHEN YOU HAVE TO GET UP SO EARLY. (Note: If you go without sleep YOU WILL GET SEASICK...I promise you. So do not push your rest...you need it!)

Hello Kamala,

I am going to arrive mid to late afternoon. I will also most likely take care of my dinner instead of waiting to eat around 8:00.

Ed

#207 ArtRunScuba

ArtRunScuba

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver. 18 liveaboards
  • Logged Dives:675

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

I plan to arrive there in middle to late afternoon as well and want to eat earlier than 8 pm, so I will look for others who want to do so too; I will turn on my cell phone right before arriving in my car
Rodney

Edited by Landlocked Dive Nut, 28 June 2010 - 05:57 PM.
removed cell phone # per TOS (use Special Discussion forum for that)

#208 scubachristine

scubachristine

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

BOOKING TEMPLATE - Christine
Payments To Date: Paid $964
Pkg Configuration 4nites/3days or 3nites/3days: 4/3
D/O or S/O: d/o
Nitrox (choose 80's or 100's and rentals or fills): Nitrox 100
Extra Days/Nights: no
Documents: - ___SD Waiver - _____SD Survey see docs
Dive Insurance Policy# & Provider:
DAN 2182223
Trip Insurance MUST CHOOSE ONE OPTION BELOW:
a. I have trip insurance that covers this trip already.
b. I will purchase trip insurance to cover this trip.
c. I will not purchase trip insurance and will accept all losses accordingly.
Flight/Drive Details: Arr: Delta 1122 Fri 7/2 at 2:57pm into RDU; Depart RDU Tues 7/6 Delta 1069 6:05pm
Other: Mea culpa - I'm sorry for being so behind about getting this posted! - job change and travel. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Kamala - do you have any Cochrans available?

#209 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:22 AM

Kamala - do you have any Cochrans available?

Me, too please, if available after Christine.
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#210 KellyDiver

KellyDiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cert Level:aow and nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:24 AM

I would like a Cochran as well, if they are available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users