• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Destination suggestions for Caribbean?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 j274

j274

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:35+

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:59 PM

OK, I know thats a very wide open topic so I'll try to narrow it down a bit. I'm visiting the Bahamas in early June. I'm also looking to book another trip to the general area either in July (week of the 5th) or August (within first two weeks).

One of my friends highly recommends Roatan. On the other hand, one of my other friends just was there recently and had a horrible experience (something to do with the group of people she was put with apparently). I belive they both stayed at Anthony's Key while there.

Another location recommended to me was the British Virgin Islands. The dives that my friends liked were the RMS Rhone and some drift dives. They also mentioned Little Dix Bay.

One of the guys in my last dive class was also telling me about how much he and his wife had enjoyed Curacao. And I recall him really liking the all-inclusive Breezes resort there. I looked at the Curacao Now! promotion going on but the only dates I found that worked for it had the package pricing ending up higher than me booking on my own. Seems like it's around $1600 for 5 nights lodging @ Breezes + airfare.

Oh, one last thing for any recommendations, I strongly strongly prefer locations easily served by American Airlines. I have Executive Platinum status on it and have gotten way too used to the free upgrades ;)

#2 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:25 AM

Hello John and ;) to our corner of the Web. I recommend you hop over to this link for some terrific destinations Kamala aka WreckWench has cooked up for 2010 and 2011. Several Caribbean trips are available such as a liveaboard adventure in Mayaguana, whalesharks in Holbox in June, Tusks and Caicos for Labor Day, Halloween in Cozumel (a repeat favorite for many members) plus many more exotic locations on the docket! :cool1:

Here's hoping you find something you like, and we'll see ya 'round the forums as well as future SingleDivers.com trips and events. :clapping:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#3 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

OK, I know thats a very wide open topic so I'll try to narrow it down a bit. I'm visiting the Bahamas in early June. I'm also looking to book another trip to the general area either in July (week of the 5th) or August (within first two weeks).

One of my friends highly recommends Roatan. On the other hand, one of my other friends just was there recently and had a horrible experience (something to do with the group of people she was put with apparently). I belive they both stayed at Anthony's Key while there.

Another location recommended to me was the British Virgin Islands. The dives that my friends liked were the RMS Rhone and some drift dives. They also mentioned Little Dix Bay.

One of the guys in my last dive class was also telling me about how much he and his wife had enjoyed Curacao. And I recall him really liking the all-inclusive Breezes resort there. I looked at the Curacao Now! promotion going on but the only dates I found that worked for it had the package pricing ending up higher than me booking on my own. Seems like it's around $1600 for 5 nights lodging @ Breezes + airfare.

Oh, one last thing for any recommendations, I strongly strongly prefer locations easily served by American Airlines. I have Executive Platinum status on it and have gotten way too used to the free upgrades :birthday:

Hi John and Welcome Aboard, The SD.com trips are a blast above and below the water. Check out the activity at this video blog http://aquabug-scubaski.blogspot.com/ .

So are you planning a Solo DIVING vacation? or a Solo VACATION with some diving? or a Family vacation and HOPE to get some Diving in? Different locations for different needs.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#4 j274

j274

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:35+

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

Hi John and Welcome Aboard, The SD.com trips are a blast above and below the water. Check out the activity at this video blog http://aquabug-scubaski.blogspot.com/ .

So are you planning a Solo DIVING vacation? or a Solo VACATION with some diving? or a Family vacation and HOPE to get some Diving in? Different locations for different needs.

That's a good question. I think I'm somewhere between a full-on diving focused vacation and a vacation that also happens to have plenty of diving opportunities. That was one thing I heard about Curacao is that there is plenty of other activities besides just diving. So if I decide I want to skip diving for a day I'll have other things to do. I don't know that I'll take advantage of all of them, but I like the flexibility. Most of my vacations are pretty loosely structured with just one small 'goal' for each day and the rest of the day to do whatever I feel like.

#5 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:50 PM

Belize is served by AA.

#6 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:08 PM

Hello scubaski,

Nice job with the video. I have an identity question. There is a man standing on the boat, talking. He has a blue top on and a hat. He looks familiar to me. Do you know the namee? Thanks. Ed

[/quote]

#7 Capt01Ron

Capt01Ron

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox Advanced. I have been diving for a long time and have been on many exciting trips!
  • Logged Dives:Aprox 300 per year. To many to log!

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

Oh, one last thing for any recommendations, I strongly strongly prefer locations easily served by American Airlines. I have Executive Platinum status on it and have gotten way too used to the free upgrades :birthday:

#8 Capt01Ron

Capt01Ron

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox Advanced. I have been diving for a long time and have been on many exciting trips!
  • Logged Dives:Aprox 300 per year. To many to log!

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

Diving in the Bahamas is really great depending on where you go and what you are want to spend. The best trip I have had was diving in Grand Turk! Not Turks and Cacios! Grand Turk is a small Island off the beaten path! The quality of the reefs and Marine life are much better than Rotan. I have been to both! The island has an intersting heritage along with what one would expect with the island catering to Divers!

I own my own boat and travel to the Bahamas when ever possible. I cruise to Bimini, Grand Bahama, Green Turtle and the Abbacos weather permitting. Nothing compared to Grand Turk!

Another fun Island is San Salvador not quite as far out of the way but fun and may cost you less!

My recommendation is Oasis Divers in Grand Turk! The British West Indies! feeding the stingrays and diving for conch was the highlight of the trip! Our dive master made a bet he could free dive down 10-20 ft and pick up 5 queen coch in each hand and make it to the surface on one breath! I got three in each hand and bearly made it to the surface because of the weight! He was able to do it and we cleaned and eat the conch!

That trip is one I will never forget along with the pristine beauty and the night dive was out of this world! :birthday:

I have a time share that I will be going to in Grand Bahama Island May 15-22 three bedrooms/3 bath! If some one wants to join you have a place to stay and can dive with the local dive operators which is what I will be doing! Sleeps eight. Fuel prices have gone up and flying is less expensive than taking my boat across! I live in Miami, Florida!

Capt Ron

Edited by uwfan, 13 March 2010 - 10:08 PM.
Remove email address per TOS

#9 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:50 AM

Belize is served by AA.

I have been to Roatan 3 times - 2 land trips and one live a board - I love Roatan - great easy diving and the people are great. I have stayed at Coco View, Anthony's and did the Aggressor boat - sadly you always run the risk of being put on a dive boat with someone you feel the urge to push over. :birthday: Thankfully in my years of diving - only once were we on a live a board like that and that was in Fiji. :birthday:

Dove the BVI's a few years ago - the diving is good - the currents can be rough. We were dropped in at the Rhone in currents that were ripping -

We are doing Belize in Aug - Aggressor is running a great deal on boats if you book in March for a trip on any boat - till the end of the year. Check with Kamala - she might even be able to get you a better deal on boat and air.

The group is right about checking out Kamala's trips - they are great! She can also book your trip for you and get some good deals as she has contacts she wors with - I know there is a trip coming up in June to see the whale sharks - if you've never seen one- check it out. We saw a pregnant one in Galapagos in Dec and WOW - what a sight.

We also loved Bonaire - great diving - I "think" AA serves them too - seems like we flew AA there from NY.

Good luck!
Known puker

#10 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:46 PM

Let me add a bit more on Belize. I'm up on Ambergris Caye (the town is San Pedro), just inside the barrier reef at the Belizean northern end (the reef goes on up into Mexico). Kamala has run several successful trips here, and has more in the offing. The diving here is easy > quite challenging, and the reef is in pretty good condition for a reef in this area. The diving can actually be as challenging as you want, as any depth is available..... And of course the Great Blue Hole isn't far away, and 3-dive day trips or longer run to it daily. We've had some pretty strong winds lately, which first of all stopped all diving and then left poor visibility. We're getting back to our normal 60-100ft viz as I write. The water is around 80-83f at the moment, and gets warmer.

The last few trips Kamala has brought the group to stay at Patojo's hotel and (integral) dive center, and the relationship has settled down to a very good one on all sides. She gets superb rates. You don't have to come here in an organised group - singles and couples (or more) are very welcome and will have a great time. If you watch air fares to Belize (or to Cancun, just up the road) then pounce when you see a good rate - there's no need to book ages in advance here. A few days is all the notice Kamala needs to ensure you have a great stay and superb diving. If anyone needs or wants instruction then Patojo himself is a very experienced instructor (or you can choose me!).

The point of this post is to tell you that this is a great very-short-notice destination. And with air fares going up and down like a yoyo, if you catch them "down" it can also be a very economical holiday. If you want to know what diving conditions are like NOW, then ask me - I live and dive here.

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:02 AM

Definitely consider Belize...Peter our local resident Brit aka now Belizian is right! Also I have another SD member doing Curacao in that same timeframe. You could room with him or just buddy up. He too is a heavy AA traveler and the diving is great in Curacao.

I'll post his info including trip and deal info I got for him. That might just work out for you! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:04 AM

And Sandy is right...we can ALWAYS save you money if we book your travel for you! Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot...but always a savings! Just tell us what you want to book and when and give us the best price you found and we'll beat it! Plus if you are a premier member and the travel is over $500 you qualify for your premier member rebate after the trip of $25 too! :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#13 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

Of all the locations in the Caribbean that are serviced by American Airlines - http://www.aa.com/i1...aribbean_aa.jsp - Dominica stands out as one of my favorite, little known about, dive locations.

I certified my niece there, and on her checkout dives, she saw sea horses, frog fish, flying gurnards, juvenile spotted drums, snake eels, jackknife fish, and pristine corals to name a few.

Definitely worth checking out, and Kamala can probably get you a good deal at Castle Comfort Lodge - Dive Dominica.

Plenty of things to do on land as well.

Edited by ScubaShafer, 06 May 2010 - 12:55 PM.

It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:09 PM

Thank you Bruce! Yes I can...the only drawback to Dominica is the 50# total weight limitations...so you have to rent gear.

formerly...

#15 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:21 PM

Wenchie, I gotta teach you how to pack LIGHT! :angel2: all your neoprene adds up.... :thankyou:

Of course, we don't have to pack tons of Tshirts for the group, and contest prizes, and....well, everything but the kitchen sink like you do!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users