• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Strange things occuring when trying to type a post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:11 PM

Lately, for the last few days, I have had some serious difficulty with posting in the reply box.

First it was that I had none of the stuff that is above the box even be there, meaning the font, type size, bold buttons etc. I cleared out my SD cookies and that seemed to take care of that problem. Then everything was fine for a week or so, until this week, when without any apparent reason, I have no cursor position thingy in the reply box when I am typing. This makes it nearly impossible to tell where I am trying to type, and completely impossible to selectively make a post, (meaning removing unrelated print from my own or in quoted posts).

Any idea of what's going on? And what to do to fix it?

Interestingly, this problem is only on SD and not on any other programs, websites, or BBs that I belong to......

Thanks in advance,
Robin

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:41 PM

I agree! The past couple of days I have had to click on the button to switch from the rich text editor to standard, in order to edit my own post before I submit that post. Especially annoying when editing trip posts with updates! When in rich text editor mode, I cannot use any regular editing functions, including inserting, deleting, highlighting, bolding, changing fonts and colors, etc.

At least I found a way to function, if I can find my place in between all the codes in brackets!

This happens on multiple PC's, not just one.
Posted Image

#3 DiveGeek

DiveGeek

Special Projects Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Board Status:Getting back into the swing of things
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, IANTD Normoxic Trimix Diver
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:48 PM

I've had the same issue, but only with Firefox. What browser and version are you each using?
"When you shoot underwater, you have limited time, subject matter that rarely sits still, let alone cooperates, and exposure that changes moment to moment. It's a place where you have to constantly wrangle light, composition, subject and depth, and then find a way to be creative." - Eric Cheng

#4 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

I am using FireFox version 3.6.2

the problem persists even though I just received an update.

How do you change to the "low tech" version?

I've had the same issue, but only with Firefox. What browser and version are you each using?

#5 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

I've had no such problems lately, but two or three years ago I was completely unable to post for several weeks, with indications very much as you describe. No problems with any other site. I did nothing to correct it (I couldn't) and it righted itself. I assumed it was some quirk with the site's software.

#6 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

I've had no such problems lately, but two or three years ago I was completely unable to post for several weeks, with indications very much as you describe. No problems with any other site. I did nothing to correct it (I couldn't) and it righted itself. I assumed it was some quirk with the site's software.

Incidentally, I abandoned Firefox some months ago, other than trying the latest version occasionally to see if it's improved. They knew of a serious problem with loading the software which first started with the introduction of Vista (this is liberally documented on the Mozilla site), but none of the next three releases showed any improvement to me. I think that now Win7 is out they've stopped trying to resolve the problem. On my Vista machine Firefox is virtually unusable, which is most irritating because I often want to use some of the add-ons that come with Firefox and no other browsers.

What happens is that the software simply doesn't start when the icon is pressed. Sometimes it starts after several minutes if I have pressed the icon upwards of 6 or 7 times, and then all instances start which is also irritating, but if I just press the icon once or twice it never starts. Even after an hour nothing has happened. As I said, Mozilla know all about the problem but seem to have abandoned trying to solve it. Firefox works perfectly on my XP machine; I have no idea about Win7 machines, but given that there aren't riots in the street I guess that it works there as well.

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:32 AM

I am using firefox but NOT having the problems you all are having. I am probably using an older version as I HATE to upgrade to new stuff if the old works fine. However I've had so much computer work done lately that its possibly I was upgraded to a new version and not aware of it. Given I'm NOT having the problems its likely I'm still on the older version.

Sorry you are having issues...I hope it fixes itself soon as it sounds like a browser/bb interface problem.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:42 AM

It has nothing to do with the version of FireFox, because it was the same version prior to and after the issue began. I got upgraded, and it was happening both before the upgrade and after. I use Win7Pro (which I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE) and was using that both before and after, with no updates occuring just prior to this happening. Hipshot had a similar problem a few weeks ago, and I had that happen too, but clearing cookies fixed it.

How about one of the many tech folks here taking a look into it? That was why I posted to see if there is any fix.

I am using firefox but NOT having the problems you all are having. I am probably using an older version as I HATE to upgrade to new stuff if the old works fine. However I've had so much computer work done lately that its possibly I was upgraded to a new version and not aware of it. Given I'm NOT having the problems its likely I'm still on the older version.

Sorry you are having issues...I hope it fixes itself soon as it sounds like a browser/bb interface problem.

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:54 AM

I'm sorry Robin that I misunderstood your post. The tech guys here most likely can not fix it as they don't work on the code of the message board. However they are trying to see if they can replicate it or understand what may be causing it so they can better explain the problem to the real tech guys that run the message board software.

That being said I've asked them to open a help ticket with tech support and convey your post in its entirety. Hopefully they have seen this problem before and have a simple fix.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#10 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:58 AM

I am using Firefox version 3.6.2 on both my work and home PC's. Both of those computers are running on Windows XP, and both have the same editing issues. Problem started after the Firefox update.

But, it hasn't stopped me from participating on the board! Just goes much slower..... :)
Posted Image

#11 scrappykidz

scrappykidz

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Board Status:back on the short bus...
  • Cert Level:AOW - new diver
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:49 AM

WOW!!! been a while since I have used firefox at all but I would have to say that it is choking on the rich text control in php.

Clean install of 3.6.2 off the Mozilla site
XP SP3

No cursor, <ctrl><home> <home> not working and if I highlight text, the cursor is not within the highlighted text... ie- can not type over, the insertion point stays at the end of the doc.

This looks like an issue between the browser and the text control, definitely not SD caused, but my guess would be that anyone site using this version/build of the message board using this version of the rt control is having the same issue with users using updated Firefox.

can get my xp update list for anyone that needs it, NOT having the issue in IE 8.0.6...
might try a safari install later :lmao:

So Robin, definitely not you. Looks like you can go to http://www.mozilla.c.../all-older.html to downgrade.

Have not tried, but worth a shot.

Tray

<edit> Used add and remove programs to uninstall 3.6.2 and used the above link to get 3.5.8 installed. Works.
So a workaround rather than using an alternate browser would be to downgrade firefox... not optimal, but a fix until the issue is resolved.

Edited by scrappykidz, 25 March 2010 - 07:57 AM.

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:04 AM

Thank you Tray...hopefully that will work for anyone affected until IPB can resolve the underlying isssues. kamala

formerly...

#13 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

My desktop install of Firefox automatically updates and I'm on 3.6.2. The only change I've noticed is that there is lag time between typing text and its appearance in my post. My laptop install dopes not do automatic updates of Firefox and it seems to be working fine. The last few automatic updates have created problems for me, although nothing really serious (as long as you don't count the frequency of crashes in 3.5.8, which occurred at the rate of many per day!).

#14 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:44 AM

Robin

are you using any add-ons with FF. I found out a couple of my plug ins were causing problems so i had to delete one and stop two others as there are known issues with 3.6.2.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#15 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:18 PM

I am using NO plug-ins or add-ons here.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic