• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Strange things occuring when trying to type a post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

As I said, it has been happening both before and after the update to 3.6.2 which occured yesterday AFTER I made the initial post. So that would be an unlikely reason. I also subscribe to another BB which uses a similar appearing board, and I get no problems there. This is definitely annoying, not being able to see where the cursor is located. :lmao:

#17 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:59 AM

Hi Robin,

Download Chrome via Google and see if the same thing happens. It is a small browser and works well on laptops and low power machines.

See if the issue is there as well.

I am using 3.5.8 FF and have no issues. Clearing your temp files may fix it and setting your browser of choice to clear files on exit will definitely help. Dr Bill, if your machine is crashing then there is probably an issue with your Windows install.

The following links may help:

General Windows XP Tweaks

Links to free scanners

Bitdefender has a free online scanner that can find all sorts of nasty things. When your system starts doing weird things, run that first. Tip: If you cannot get to that site, you definitely have issues as something on your machine is stopping you from going there.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#18 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:06 AM

Hi Robin,

Download Chrome via Google and see if the same thing happens. It is a small browser and works well on laptops and low power machines.

See if the issue is there as well.

I am using 3.5.8 FF and have no issues. Clearing your temp files may fix it and setting your browser of choice to clear files on exit will definitely help. Dr Bill, if your machine is crashing then there is probably an issue with your Windows install.

The following links may help:

General Windows XP Tweaks

Links to free scanners

Bitdefender has a free online scanner that can find all sorts of nasty things. When your system starts doing weird things, run that first. Tip: If you cannot get to that site, you definitely have issues as something on your machine is stopping you from going there.

OK, in Chrome it works fine. I did clear out cookies, in Firefox. Interestingly, I have no problems posting in Wetpixel, and they use the same BB format as SD. How weird, that suddenly, for no apparent reason I was unable to see the cursor.
I have a purchased copy of BitDefender... (it was free from Frys.com, as the purchased cost is rebated with a visa card :birthday: )
Simon, what do you think that I get problems with SD but not with, say, Wetpixel, even though it's the same BB company? Different version?

Thanks for the help.

PS Are you ready to accept guests in your little island get away yet??? :birthday:

PPS.... Down grading to Firefox 3.5.8 also works. Guess there is something incompatible in the 3.6.2 version that is incompatible with this BB, and not with others from the same provider (or whatever you call the company that runs the server thing).

Thanks again!

Edited by secretsea18, 26 March 2010 - 08:18 AM.

#19 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:48 AM

OK, in Chrome it works fine. I did clear out cookies, in Firefox. Interestingly, I have no problems posting in Wetpixel, and they use the same BB format as SD.

Maybe the same program, but most definitely not the same version. Wetpixel does not advertise their version, but it is not the same version. That may be the difference.

PS Are you ready to accept guests in your little island get away yet??? :birthday:

Been accepting guests for some time. Strange that the same volume of people did not visit when I was in Eastern Canada. :birthday:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#20 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

OK, in Chrome it works fine. I did clear out cookies, in Firefox. Interestingly, I have no problems posting in Wetpixel, and they use the same BB format as SD.

Maybe the same program, but most definitely not the same version. Wetpixel does not advertise their version, but it is not the same version. That may be the difference.

Been accepting guests for some time. Strange that the same volume of people did not visit when I was in Eastern Canada. :dance:

As I recall, you did not have an online invitation when you lived in the tundra. :birthday:

• Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

Try deleting your cache and see if that clears it up. That seems to be clearing up the problems for most people.

#22 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:07 AM

Firefox version 3.6.3 installed on my home PC first thing this morning. The first reply I made, in Fordan's birthday thread, I was able to post in the rich text editor mode and see my cursor, and change the formatting of my text. Subsequest posts, that ability was lost and now I'm back to standard editor to be able to see my cursor and be able to edit (this is where I see all the [b] [color] codes.....it's tough to edit some of the trip threads in this mode, but I'm getting better at it!)

Just wanted to post an update.....

I think I'll try to roll back to a previous version of Firefox soon, if they can't get this fixed. Can someone tell me how to turn off the automatic Firefox updates so if I do roll back, I don't end up with the new version again?? :wakawaka:
Posted Image

#23 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

First off, how do you go to the other posting format?

I much rather the upgraded version of Firefox, and only have problems posting on SD, and on no other internet forums whatsoever, even others that use the same BB company/format of the BB... what ever it is called.

That said, I think that SD needs to get the BB company to update the BB, cause why are all the other BBs OK, and SD not???

#24 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

When you click on ADD REPLY and the box opens up, look at the upper right corner of that box....you should see a button that when you hover over it, you see "switch between standard and rich text editor". Click that. You will be able to see your cursor, type & edit & insert formatting & smileys, although they will look like code. After you post your reply, you will be able to see all the fonts, colors & smileys (so you know if you got the codes in the wrong place!)
Posted Image

#25 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

When you click on ADD REPLY and the box opens up, look at the upper right corner of that box....you should see a button that when you hover over it, you see "switch between standard and rich text editor". Click that. You will be able to see your cursor, type & edit & insert formatting & smileys, although they will look like code. After you post your reply, you will be able to see all the fonts, colors & smileys (so you know if you got the codes in the wrong place!)

Thank You! I can see the cursor, and will use this until this gets fixed, whatever it is that is broken right now.

:thankyou:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users