• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Chase Visa Gift Card can be used internationally

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:14 PM

Have you traveled internationally with a gift? card that is like a credit card, only it doesn't tie into any of your accounts. I discovered that there is a Chase Visa Gift Card and here is what it says:
"The card is a prepaid card that carries an amount determined by the purchaser of the card at the time of purchase. The card can be used to purchase goods and services everywhere that Visa debit cards are accepted. Each time the card is used, the amount that is spent will automatically be deducted from the remaining balance. The minimum value is $25 and the maximum is $500."

I do not like to travel with a lot of cash. I'd choose traveler's checks over cash, but saw this card and wondered what experiences you all have had with it or something similar.

Thanks,
Margaret

#2 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:02 AM

Wow....never thought of that before. I will be watching to see what people say about this. Sounds like a great idea!!
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#3 Xcelratr

Xcelratr

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Diver
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:42 AM

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work internationally. The one footnote to that is that outside the US, the number of merchants that accept plastic at all drops a bit. However, I think any vendor set up with a merchant services contract that can accept regular credit cards should be able to accept a Visa or MC branded prepaid card.

Before you carry it as an alternative to cash, check two things: #1 - how does the issuer handle things if the card is lost or stolen, esp if that happens in a foreign country? Can you get a new card issued that retains your previous balance? What's the time frame? What's the dispute process if someone uses it before you report it lost or stolen?

#2 - what's the issuer's policy on foreign exchange? If a merchant in another country charges 1,000 of their local currency, how does the issuer handle the exchange rate and fees? Is the processing sophisticated enough to know to do the exchange before querying the system for an approval?

I'd be interested to hear the answers to those questions myself if you decide to pursue this.

Hope this helps.
and I've learned much from both of their styles.

#4 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:52 AM

Xcelratr:

Isn't there a growing issue with all US-issued cards overseas (particularly in the EU countries) involving the lack of an electronic chip?

Do credit-branded cards have that chip?

PPM

#5 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

"I do not like to travel with a lot of cash. I'd choose traveler's checks over cash, but saw this card and wondered what experiences you all have had with it or something similar."

Thanks,
Margaret

While window shopping at the local upscale mall, I saw this product being sold at Travelel, a currency exchange kisok. Click on below.
http://www.us.travel.../Cash-Passport/

Edited by scubaski, 02 May 2010 - 07:54 AM.

MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

I just take a Visa card that has a fairly low credit limit. I am only responsible for $50 in case it's lost or stolen, and it processes foreign exchange at the current bank rate on the date of the transaction, with no extra fees. It goes everywhere with me on a trip - I never leave it in the room when off diving. When shore diving, it goes under with me in a waterproof case!

I have never had a pre-paid card nor a debit card, although Kamala is a big fan of the pre-paid, small limit gift card to use for travel. She's traveling for the next 2 weeks (but staying dry), so she will probably chime in on this subject at some point.
Posted Image

#7 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:35 AM

While window shopping at the local upscale mall, I saw this product being sold at Travelel, a currency exchange kisok. Click on below.
http://www.us.travel.../Cash-Passport/

Thanks Scubaski on this link. I wonder why the Cash Passport cards are not sold in Nevada, Connecticut, Florida and Rhode Island. I live in Texas, so it's not a problem, but I find it odd that it excludes these states.

#8 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

I just take a Visa card that has a fairly low credit limit. I am only responsible for $50 in case it's lost or stolen, and it processes foreign exchange at the current bank rate on the date of the transaction, with no extra fees.

Thanks LLDN. That's a good idea. Is this card through your regular (checking/savings) bank, or is it a separate card not associated with yours? My bank's card and my Citibank card both have said they will add extra fees. That's one reason why I like to travel with traveler's checks, but not all places will take them.

#9 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

I just take a Visa card that has a fairly low credit limit. I am only responsible for $50 in case it's lost or stolen, and it processes foreign exchange at the current bank rate on the date of the transaction, with no extra fees.

Thanks LLDN. That's a good idea. Is this card through your regular (checking/savings) bank, or is it a separate card not associated with yours? My bank's card and my Citibank card both have said they will add extra fees. That's one reason why I like to travel with traveler's checks, but not all places will take them.

The one I usually take is a Capital One card, with a small $2k credit limit. I took my Southwest Visa by mistake to Bonaire in March, and they did not charge me any conversion fees, either, plus I got flier miles for the purchases!

I doubt the bazaars in Cairo will take my Visa, though! :birthday: So, some cash is required. Any cash I bring on a trip goes everywhere with me, along with the lone credit card.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users