• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

WANTED: LONG wetsuit for shortie lady!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SirenaCansone

SirenaCansone

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Cert Level:Snorkeler, Scuba Groupie
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

Here's the problem: When I look at the size charts of swimsuits I'm in one size for height and one OTHER size for weight. Not all short women are a size 4 :bye: ! I need a 3m m even for warm water since I have a temperature issue and need to stay warm. I am currently snorkeling in a large KIDS shortie! If anyone has a suit they think might fit OR a recommendation of where to get one, please let me know.
"When I die, I might as well die alive!" Harriet McBryde Johnson.

"Don't tell me what I can't do!" John Locke 

#2 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

Wetsuits... can be tricky... though for me it seemed dress size matched wetsuit size fairly closely. I went in to several dive stores and tried on wetsuits - tight fit is important but not so tight as to cut off circulation. I'm not sure I qualify as "short" as I'm about 5' 6" and I had an incredible opportunity to get a custom made wetsuit last summer in Bali. But my off the rack 3mm is a great fit though and it was simply a process of elimination for me to try different brands, different material types, and different sizes.

Good luck on your search!

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:40 AM

If you decide to go the custom route...we can now import those awesome wetsuits from Bali to the US. I will have pricing and details in a month or so.

Otherwise do as uwfan suggests....try try try on and try some more until you find something that fits you! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:50 AM

I had the same issue as you when looking for an off-the-rack wetsuit.

I bought a ScubaPro Everflex wetsuit late last year. I am a 42" chest, but the suit I got was listed for a 50" chest to accommodate my height. It was tight to put on the first time, but it will conform to your body shape as you wear it and as a result keeps you very warm. Now that it is fitted to me, putting it on is simple and it fits perfectly. The one I got was the full length version, but it is the same material in the shorty. The materials used inside also dry quickly.

There are seals at the ankle and wrist to restrict water exchange and a soft seal around your neck which is comfortable.

I noticed that all of the staff at my dive shop wore the same model wetsuit and I am quite happy with it. Go and try one on but wear it for at least half an hour before making up your mind.

Hope that helps.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#5 Rachel

Rachel

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:162+

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

I am 5 feet tall and definitely not a size 4. I got a Pinnacle size Medium Short wetsuit that fits me pretty well.

#6 SirenaCansone

SirenaCansone

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

Well, I discovered last night that my loyalty was getting in the way. I was only trying stuff on in "my" dive shop and when NONE of the suits fit me "my" divemaster told me "I can order you a custom". I figured he

knew what he was talking about and that I had an unusual body type or that I was too chubby for a regular suit (my height says I should be a TWO for cryin' out loud!). Wrong on both counts. On a whim I went to a different dive shop last

night and the guy took ONE look at me and said: "You're a size 10". After I stopped laughing I tried on the suit he suggested. HOLY MOBY DICK! It was a discontinued Henderson style and it fit like a glove. Well, almost. It was about 3/4 of

an inch long at sleeve and ankle and somewhat constricting across the Mae West area but it gave me a lot of hope because it's the best fit I have had yet. And SO much easier to put on! He's ordering some newer Henderson styles soon and

I'm going to try them on to see if I can find an even better option. I will also try to find some of the suits suggested here. :cheerleader: I'm curious about those Bali suits. Any pics or links? Sounds like the Dolce and Gabbana of women's

wetsuits. Oooh! :birthday:

Edited by SirenaCansone, 04 June 2010 - 07:51 PM.

#7 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:04 AM

Try a Henderson Hyperstretch or something similar. Size charts are difficult to go by.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

• Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

Congrats, you found how to deal with dive shops BEFORE you lost a $1000+. Loyalty is good, but dive shops are very low profit outfits and need to push what they have. Most people don't figure that out until they have lost a lot of money on stuff they shouldn't have bought.

Here are the Bali wesuits:
http://www.nemowetsuit.com/

#9 SirenaCansone

SirenaCansone

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for the link! :)

Congrats, you found how to deal with dive shops BEFORE you lost a $1000+. Loyalty is good, but dive shops are very low profit outfits and need to push what they have. Most people don't figure that out until they have lost a lot of money on stuff they shouldn't have bought.

Here are the Bali wesuits:
http://www.nemowetsuit.com/

#10 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:40 AM

I will endorse the Henderson wetsuits too. I am very tiny.. pretty sure I am shorter than you. I lucked into Hendersons very early in my diving life because my diveshop carried them. I have gone through the titanium hyperstretch line and also the aquasuedes... from 3mm up to 7 mm and have NEVER had to alter any of them. AND they fit my height as well. And I do have CURVES!!! Definitely not skinny. I have worn from a size 4-6. So I would encourage you to look at those. I wear my full length 3mms on all my warm water dives as well. Just a wimp. My shop just stopped carrying Hendersons recently because 1. several other lines have come out with stretchy suits now... so the Hendersons are no longer so unique, and 2. the hendersons tend to be expensive. They now carry the Aqualung flex suits or something like that and are trying to talk me into those. So try on many different suits, concentrating on the stretchy or flex styles. Do not try any "regular" wetsuits. If all else fails. and you can't find anything in town, try leisure pro or some of the online stores that will let you order several, try them on and return the ones that don't fit.

And if absolutely you need to shorten arms or legs, there are several places that specialize in wetsuit alterations at reasonable prices. Your shop should be able to recommend one, or look online. PM me if you have any other questions.

Good luck

Rosa

#11 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:10 AM

If all else fails. and you can't find anything in town, try leisure pro or some of the online stores that will let you order several, try them on and return the ones that don't fit.

One tip with Leisurepro - call to get better pricing. They offer a better price via phone, one they can't advertise on the net.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#12 SirenaCansone

SirenaCansone

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:26 PM

Eureka! I got a Henderson thermoprene 3mm full WOMEN'S wetsuit. I took one look at the shape on the rack and realizd I was trying on mostly men's suits in the other dive shop. NO WONDER they didn't fit. The guy at the new place handed me the suit, sent me to the dressing room....perfect! A little long in the extremeties but he told me I could just fold them under. I LOVE THIS SUIT! Thanks for all your comments. I'm learning from all of you.

#13 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

Glad you found the right suit for you! :thankyou:

We're always glad to help other divers on this board. Stick around...at some point, your 2psi will make a difference to another member!
Posted Image

#14 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:37 AM

Wonderful!

The other shop was putting you into men's wetsuits? I'm a strong advocate for women's specific gear in almost any sport. There's a manufacturer here in MN that makes great motorcycle gear but to get anything women specific you have to have them make it for you ($$), men can buy off the rack. I refuse to shop there. :thankyou: I figure I have to put my money where my mouth is.

#15 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:17 PM

We're always glad to help other divers on this board. Stick around...at some point, your 2psi will make a difference to another member!

It's ALREADY happening! Thanks for mentioning the tip about folding the sleeves under. I recently got a 5mm suit and apparently with my height and weight, I need to grow my arms another 12 feet. :thankyou:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users