• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

GOING TO ROATAN in August

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SirenaCansone

SirenaCansone

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Cert Level:Snorkeler, Scuba Groupie
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hi. THought I'd post this for the heck of it. Just booked a trip today to ANTHONY'S KEY RESORT in Roatan. :bye: I booked the snorkel package but I'm going to do the "Explore Scuba" while I'm there...pushing ever onward in my quest to get out of "Bubble Watchers". Has anyone ever been to this resort? Is anyone going there in August?
"When I die, I might as well die alive!" Harriet McBryde Johnson.

"Don't tell me what I can't do!" John Locke 

#2 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

Hi. THought I'd post this for the heck of it. Just booked a trip today to ANTHONY'S KEY RESORT in Roatan. :bye: I booked the snorkel package but I'm going to do the "Explore Scuba" while I'm there...pushing ever onward in my quest to get out of "Bubble Watchers". Has anyone ever been to this resort? Is anyone going there in August?

I just got back from Roatan. My last trip we stayed at Anthony's Key. This time we stayed at a B&B in the West End. I posted a review of my trip in the reviews section.

The instructor at AKR is a guy named Bish. Nice guy and I'm sure he will take care of you as far as the Explore Scuba goes. If you get a chance, do a Dolphin Encounter. I'd definitely get a superior room in August, whether its on the hill or on the key. And get insurance just in case as its hurricane season and while Roatan is south, you never know.

I saw your post on wet suits. The water temps were 84 degrees this time of year and will be at least that warm on the top of the reef when you are there.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by georoc01, 02 June 2010 - 09:13 PM.

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:43 AM

Hey the next time you want to book a dive or snorkel trip...let SingleDivers.com do it for you. We have the buying power of over 6000 and you have the buying power of 1 or 2! We can SAVE YOU $$$ as long as you tell us where, when and how much you found it for! :bye:

p.s AKR is a great resort...and do as George says if you can! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 SirenaCansone

SirenaCansone

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the tips. I just sent my CC info in this morning and paid for a Standard Dockside (I'll check things out with you next time WreckWench. Thanks!) I think I'll be okay. I don't break a sweat til it's up in the 90s and then I'm usually quite comfy with a ceiling fan. I LOVE the heat! If I'm dying in Roatan I'll remember that GeoRoc and WreckWench warned me! :birthday: The water temp is good to know though. 86 is fine for me. I won't need the suit but I think I'm going to get a skin because of the sun. Twice a day, every day...? I'm sure my dermatologist would NOT approve!

I don't know how this post will look cuz I'm still getting the hang of it. I don't quite understand what the diff is between the "quote" and "reply" choices. Forgive the newbie.

Hi. THought I'd post this for the heck of it. Just booked a trip today to ANTHONY'S KEY RESORT in Roatan. :birthday: I booked the snorkel package but I'm going to do the "Explore Scuba" while I'm there...pushing ever onward in my quest to get out of "Bubble Watchers". Has anyone ever been to this resort? Is anyone going there in August?

I just got back from Roatan. My last trip we stayed at Anthony's Key. This time we stayed at a B&B in the West End. I posted a review of my trip in the reviews section.

The instructor at AKR is a guy named Bish. Nice guy and I'm sure he will take care of you as far as the Explore Scuba goes. If you get a chance, do a Dolphin Encounter. I'd definitely get a superior room in August, whether its on the hill or on the key. And get insurance just in case as its hurricane season and while Roatan is south, you never know.

I saw your post on wet suits. The water temps were 84 degrees this time of year and will be at least that warm on the top of the reef when you are there.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

#5 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:07 AM

Don't want to be a downer , but trust me, you don't want a standard dockside room. The bugs will eat you alive and the heat and humidity will be a real bummer. I went there two years ago and the bugs were just about unbearable. Now mind you, I travel the Carib extensively and I have never had a bug problem like I did at AKR. A buddy of mine got so bit up that he ended up having to go the medical clinic for treatment.

Call them and pay the upgrade of for a room with airconditioning. Even if you do not use the air, the rooms are sealed against the bugs. You will be glad you did.

J
Sea Turtle advocate!

#6 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

Don't want to be a downer , but trust me, you don't want a standard dockside room. The bugs will eat you alive and the heat and humidity will be a real bummer. I went there two years ago and the bugs were just about unbearable. Now mind you, I travel the Carib extensively and I have never had a bug problem like I did at AKR. A buddy of mine got so bit up that he ended up having to go the medical clinic for treatment.

Call them and pay the upgrade of for a room with airconditioning. Even if you do not use the air, the rooms are sealed against the bugs. You will be glad you did.

J

DITTO - I stayed in a room up on the hill - but still NO a/c - in August and it took me 3 nights to be able to sleep - I love hot too - I'm from the south - but LORD - that was awful - the sheets stuck to you - the sand fleas AT ME ALIVE and I wore 100% DEET - there is a TON of sand at AKR - and the little beasts are every where - even in the hammocks!!! Other than that................I loved it - the diving is great - the resort is spread out and very nice - when I was there (not sure if it's changed) the dining area was quite the hike - 60-70 stairs UP and 60-70 DOWN. I did not worry about weight gain! :cheerleader: Enjoy -
Known puker

#7 SirenaCansone

SirenaCansone

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

Okay....that's a lot of votes for AC and one from a nice Southern gal who's used to heat . I'll call up this week to see if they can upgrade me. I made a mistake of ignoring advice on my trip to Cozumel and I learned my lesson after a week spent next to a kiddie pool! :) :dance: :teeth:

J

DITTO - I stayed in a room up on the hill - but still NO a/c - in August and it took me 3 nights to be able to sleep - I love hot too - I'm from the south - but LORD - that was awful - the sheets stuck to you - the sand fleas AT ME ALIVE and I wore 100% DEET - there is a TON of sand at AKR - and the little beasts are every where - even in the hammocks!!! Other than that................I loved it - the diving is great - the resort is spread out and very nice - when I was there (not sure if it's changed) the dining area was quite the hike - 60-70 stairs UP and 60-70 DOWN. I did not worry about weight gain! :birthday: Enjoy -

O

#8 SirenaCansone

SirenaCansone

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

Well, there are no AC cabins available. Guess my next post is going to be a query about effective BUG SPRAYS! :cool1:

#9 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:34 AM

Well to start..Cactus Juice - http://cactusjuicetm.com/ Its what is sold on the island and is reef safe, and has a nice coconut smell. I like the combo with sunscreen

I also bring a product with 100% deet at night. Its bad for the reef, so if you are going diving, don't wear it. But in the evenings, it works really well.

Bring some type of cortisone for after bite care. I bring the Cactus juice post bite product too. They also sell a product on the island called rid of the itch.

#10 SirenaCansone

SirenaCansone

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:58 AM

SO FAR...I've got AVON "Expedition" Bug Guard, Skin So Soft, and "After Bite". I'm going to get Cactus Juice too. Everyone has me really scared because I know I'm a "bug magnet". I'm Italian and I tell people the mosquitos like me because my blood tastes like lasagna! If there's ONE thing I learned in Girl Scouts, it was "Be Prepared"!

#11 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

SO FAR...I've got AVON "Expedition" Bug Guard, Skin So Soft, and "After Bite". I'm going to get Cactus Juice too. Everyone has me really scared because I know I'm a "bug magnet". I'm Italian and I tell people the mosquitos like me because my blood tastes like lasagna! If there's ONE thing I learned in Girl Scouts, it was "Be Prepared"!

cactus juice works pretty good. Don't know about the bug guard but I can tell you from experience that Skin So Soft does not work on Roatan bugs. At least not on me it does not. I have scars on my legs from the bug bites I suffered several years ago while staying at Coco View on Roatan. The only thing that worked for me on the last trip was Deep Woods Off. Some of my friends used Cactus Juice and said it was ok.
Sea Turtle advocate!

#12 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

We were in Roatan last September, the mosquitoes were awful. And something I was not used to, they bite you all day long! DEET was the only thing that worked for me and I still got bites. I think they just get used to the taste:)

#13 SirenaCansone

SirenaCansone

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:38 AM

I'm starting to think that I'm going to need another piece of luggage just for all the bug stuff! My order of Cactus Juice is on the way! Thanks for all the info. :wakawaka:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users