• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Official Trip Report Cozumel, Cenotes, Holbox Island

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:we're supposed to track of that @#!$ ?

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:56 AM

Hey everyone we are packed and ready to get on the ferry to dive the cenotes!!!! It's six am and we're diving today... Don't you wish you were here? Nanny Nanny boo boo!! :pray:
Make sure you never run out of Erica!

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

Got free wifi at the hotel in Holbox as well as our hotel in Cozy. :diver:

Everyone has been having a blast...at least they all appear to be and that's my story I'm sticking too! We met a new member in Cozy who has already joined the site and another one who will join when she gets back to SF where she is a reporter.

We got stickers at the Cenotes photo shop and the bathroom and the entrance to the whole cenotes (VERY COOL!!)

We'll be looking for places for stickers in Holbox so stay tuned!

Our first day of snorkeling with the whalesharks yielded a pod of dolphins...1 manta and a couple of whalesharks. One stayed with us most of the day and let us play with him over and over and over. :D

More later...

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

I saw another manta ray, and it breached the surface and leaped into the air! Wow!!!!!!!

#4 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:41 PM

It sounds terrific...keep the reports coming!!
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#5 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

SingleDivers.com members swimming with a whale shark. (90 seconds)

Cozumel parrotfish makes sand! (30 seconds)

Edited by TexasDiver, 27 June 2010 - 11:24 AM.

#6 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

very cool! I love being in the water with Whale Sharks.... interesting observation however. The big guys that I have been in the water with in the Bay Islands seemed to have much more massive bodies where as this one seemed long and streamlined. I wonder if there is a difference in the sharks compared to the area that they are sighted in. So little is know about these great creatures.
Sea Turtle advocate!

#7 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

I saw another manta ray, and it breached the surface and leaped into the air! Wow!!!!!!!

That is SUPER COOL!!!!!! :D :diver: :diver: :dance: :o :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

*Sigh* I really considered going on this trip, but decided to spread the vacations out, so I'm going to the Cozumel Halloween trip. Will have to add Holbox to my bucket list.

-Margaret

#8 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

Per our discussion on the boat this morning, here is the link to my post about trip cancellation insurance. My comments are not definitive; you should read the insurance policies yourself (not just the sales and marketing materials) and make your own determination. http://www.singlediv...a...st&p=273860

#9 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:52 AM

Very nice video, thanks for sharing!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#10 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hey SD coz divers ,Tell us which Cenotes location you go to.The whale shark video is great to watch.Thats in my bucket as well..
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#11 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

That is SUPER COOL!!!!!! :) :) :) :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

*Sigh* I really considered going on this trip, but decided to spread the vacations out, so I'm going to the Cozumel Halloween trip. Will have to add Holbox to my bucket list.

-Margaret

Margaret, I am in the same situation. But I'm sure we will have a good time over Halloween in Cozy too!

#12 ScubaScar

ScubaScar

Getting started

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:06 PM

Heading to Coz in Aug. My first trip there...keep up the reports and suggestions.
Shaun aka ScubaScar

#13 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:04 AM

Heading to Coz in Aug. My first trip there...keep up the reports and suggestions.
Shaun aka ScubaScar

Buy travel insurance! The last time we tried to go in August, Hurricane Dean intervened and made us bail out of the trip after only a couple of days..

#14 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:32 AM

Margaret, I am in the same situation. But I'm sure we will have a good time over Halloween in Cozy too!

Oh, WE WILL have an awesome time! :) :) :cool1: :) :cool1:
Wish everyone could join us! As so many people will be facing colder weather near that time, some sunshine and great diving will do us some good. For me, living near Houston, it's the same weather, but with the bonus of diving.

#15 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

Hey SD coz divers ,Tell us which Cenotes location you go to.The whale shark video is great to watch.Thats in my bucket as well..

I'll let you read this trip report...enjoy!

Well the gear has been cleaned and is hanging to dry and the clothes are washed drying… so I guess it’s time to share some thoughts on the trip with the Best of Mexico!!

I arrived on Thursday a couple of days early to add a couple extra days diving to the trip. I was still spinning from end of school year projects that always come up but started Friday morning with two dives. The dives were great and the company was good too – chatted with my boat mates and I discovered a group from my school district had come down the week before and were finishing up their diving days on Friday and Saturday. We dove Palancar Gardens and San Clemente. I especially liked the coral formations of Palancar Gardens.

Friday brought Jerrymxz, rkymtnwy, Deep Blue Dreams, ... er, and someone else I'm forgetting (Jang? Coral? both of you??) in for more early dives and we did Palancar Caves then Columbia Shallows. Both were terrific dives and I especially liked the shallows with big crabs and lobsters, turtles, eels, and rays. The rest of the early divers did a third dive but I called it an day to let my body do a bit of catching up.

Saturday brought the rest of our divers to the water except for catfish who arrived our last diving day in Cozumel. We had more great dives including another couple of passes at Palancar Gardens, Santa Rosa Wall, Yucab, Columbia Wall, and Delilah. Sunday’s third dive was Punta Tunich – um, it went by fast! LOL! We dropped in on no current only to find ourselves ripping along in current that gave us all quite a ride and our thrill seekers a fantastic time. We finished off our Cozumel dives Monday with another pass at Palancar and Delilah, and for those who did the third dive of the day a much more sedate dive at Chunkanaab with a very puppy-dog like mutton snapper.

Tuesday we headed out on the ferry and on to the Cenotes. While some of us dealt with equipment issues, we had some fantastic divemasters who took care of us so that we could do our two dives – Barbie Line and Bat Caves. Kudos especially went to my divemaster Jairo who handled both my SPG that was blowing a major amount of bubbles as well as another one of our divers who had an octo also blowing bubbles. The dives themselves were quite spectacular – stalactites and stalagmites and various formations were quite incredible to see in this unique environment. I’ve been in caves before but these cavern areas were quite fascinating especially being able to be much closer than you often are in a cave environment when you see the formations. The area where the bats make their homes was also fascinating.

Once we finished our Cenotes dives we headed north to Holbox. The island itself was beautiful with white sand beaches. Wednesday and Thursday brought opportunities to snorkel with the whalesharks and being so close to those animals was quite an incredible experience. Good food and a birthday celebration for Jerrymxz finished a great trip!! Wish you all were there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users