• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Official Trip Report Cozumel, Cenotes, Holbox Island

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

Heading to Coz in Aug. My first trip there...keep up the reports and suggestions.
Shaun aka ScubaScar

If you have not booked your trip let us help you save money as well as have a great experience. If not then consider us the next time or join us on one of our great group trips! :welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

:welcome: HEIDI!!!! That was a great recap of our adventure! I'm more will jump in as they return...6 or so stayed in Cancun an extra day to celebrate Jerry's birthday and see the ruins. Fingers crossed they got out before Alex hit!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#18 JetsamJunkie

JetsamJunkie

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN, Wreck, parts of others
  • Logged Dives:I dunno... 400?? I'm bad. I don't log.

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:50 PM

I got bumped till 5:30 Saturday afternoon. It was beginning to rain steadily by then. I was glad to have the last seat. Flights were running late but running.

HEY,,, I heard about Flicker on the trip. Do you want our pics on there or on this site? Video will come later this week. :teeth:

Life's about letting go.

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:09 PM

Hey Ricky...glad you got out! That means Heidi got out too! :birthday:

We do want some of your pics on this site.... HERE!!! :birthday:

And if you want to add more to our flicker site I'll get the details posted and of course we have a PHOTO & VIDEO CONTEST EVERY DIVE TRIP...the details are HERE!

So thank you for posting pics um...basically EVERYWHERE! :lmao:

formerly...

#20 deepbluedreams

deepbluedreams

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:195

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:41 PM

Just getting my land legs back after the trip to Cozumel, Cancun and Holbox Island. We had so much fun, my stomach still hurts from laughing. :thankyou: All of the accommodations made for us were wonderful, especially Holbox Dreams. One of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been on. We were only a few blocks from all the restaraunts, our favorite was a place called Marakuy'a, The Spanish word for passion fruit, which, by the way, makes incredible margaritas! :thankyou: We had such a great group with us, some I know will always be friends. The diving in Cozumel was beautiful, lots of creatures, great water temp, and way too good food! This was my first trip with SingleDivers, but I know it will not be my last! :thankyou: By the way, Kamala, you rock Lady! :cheerleader:

#21 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:08 PM

The dives were great!
The Cenotes were great!
Holbox and the whalesharks were great!

Best of all.... the folks who went on the trip were a great bunch!! We had so much fun and laughed so much.

Thank you, Kamala. You done good! :cheerleader:

#22 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

Where to start!!

I'll second all the great comments on the dives, the people and the accommodations. I arrived in Cozumel on Friday about noon and took a van to Casa Del Mar where they greeted me like a long lost friend. Several people that work there remembered me from the trip in October with SD. I had a shore dive on Friday and then three a day Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. The DM's and crew were great and allowed us run times over an hour in length. Our longest was an hour and 17minutes long. The sites are varied enough to keep me interested for a week. From the deep swim throughs and massive coral formations of Palancar and Columbia to the flatter sites with rock and roll high speed drift dives to shallow patch reefs great for macro photography.

On Wednesday we left Cozumel on the ferry to Playa and took vans to the town of Talum and Xibalba dive shop. They supplied the tanks and in water guides for our dives in dos Ojos cenote. The cenote is absolutely spectacular. The water is gin clear and just beautiful. At the cenote we split up into 4 person teams each with a guide. We were never more then 30 seconds from the surface but the dives were 40+ minutes in length with very little repeat passages. My team had two great dives, with good spacing and communication along with very good buoyancy and in water positioning. Our guide commented to us on that and on our second dive took us on a bit of an extended “not on the standard tour” excursion into an adjacent room off the gold line to see the Halocline where a submerged saltwater layer can be seen as light distortions in the water. very surreal. I have several cavern dives in Florida and after this I am now convinced I need to get my cave card!!!

After the cavern dives we got back in the vans and went to Holbox. Got a bit wet on the ferry ride to town but we took it all in stride. The town of Holbox was a great place to decompress. The shops, restaurants, bars and food were top shelf! The streets aren't paved only sand. There are a few (very few) small trucks and no cars on the island. the main mode of travel is by knobby tired golf carts. Several of us rented one on Friday to do a bit of exploring and general cavorting about. (the names are withheld to protect the innocent). On Thursday we snorkeled with the whale sharks. That was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. The one I dropped in on was at least 30 feet long and it moved with the slowest most deliberate motions, displaying a conservation of energy I have never witnessed before. We dropped in front of them two at a time with a guide for about a 1 minute encounter. They move with effortless power and deceptive speed that made it hard to keep up with them even with just snorkel gear on.

Bright and early Saturday morning we loaded back up into the boats for another “bracing” boat ride to the mainland. At this point we split up into the group going to the airport in Cancun and the group doing the tour of the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza. Pricilla, Brenda, Jang, Silvia, and I went on the tour and it was amazing! I knew of the pyramid and the ball court and some other buildings but I had not the least bit of an idea the scope of what is there and the level of preservation. The site covers 25 square miles. I am still in awe of what I saw there.

After the tour our guide took us to a resort near by for another great meal and another cenote that had been set up to swim in. It was 70 or so feet from the surface to the water in a huge cylindrical chamber with an overhanging roof above and long vine-like roots hanging down to get at the water. We were told the water is 150 feet deep and after looking around with a mask I don’t doubt it. There was not one place I could see any indication of a bottom. We then traveled back to Cancun for the night and then Sunday it was back to the real world.

I met people on this trip I will never forget. Thank you all for a spectacular trip and memories that will last a lifetime!!

Anyone who went on this trip and took pictures I'll trade a cd of my pictures for a cd of your pictures. all you have to do is ask

Jerry

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#23 deepbluedreams

deepbluedreams

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:195

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:41 AM

The dives were great!
The Cenotes were great!
Holbox and the whalesharks were great!

Best of all.... the folks who went on the trip were a great bunch!! We had so much fun and laughed so much.

Thank you, Kamala. You done good! :lmao:

Hey lady , I have no idea how, but some very familiar pink crocs ended up in our room that last night. It must have been when they unloaded the van. Anyway, they are safe and sound, let me know where you want me to send them. It was great meeting you. And thank you so much for everything.

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:12 AM

WOW! Look at some of the great pics by Jerrymxz.... :lmao:

The star of the show...
Posted Image

Dancing with Divers....
Posted Image

Jerry and his harem... :lmao:
Posted Image

Anchor Hanging...
Posted Image

formerly...

#25 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

3 minute video:
Another one:
More: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnn3fjjpe2c

Edited by TexasDiver, 08 July 2010 - 11:56 AM.

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:22 AM

3 minute video:

Thanks for the video! WOW!!! You are really turning into a pro at this!!! :cool1: And thank you for the awesome plug...:respect: :thankyou:

formerly...

#27 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:41 PM

in process

#28 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

TexasDiver..... Fantastic!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

#29 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

Hey lady , I have no idea how, but some very familiar pink crocs ended up in our room that last night. It must have been when they unloaded the van. Anyway, they are safe and sound, let me know where you want me to send them. It was great meeting you. And thank you so much for everything.

Hmmmn..... you mean these??? Attached File  crocs.jpg   9.64KB   29 downloads

Thanks, kiddo! I'll send you a PM. -cat fish

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:43 AM

3 minute video:
Another one:
More: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnn3fjjpe2c

Craig thank you for the great videos! If you post each one as a new one then people will know you added some great content. Otherwise they will miss the add'l videos if they are only in your old post. I do like the idea of keeping one as a master list!

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users