• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Editing difficulties

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

Following my Windows Vista failing big time and irrepairably, I converted to Windows 7 (after a week of 7 I desperately want to go back to XP, but that's another matter!).

I also now use the latest version of Firefox as my default browser (I couldn't with Vista as it took minutes to load).

I am now finding consistently that when I attempt to quote a post I cannot, and when I persist Firefox simply closes and I get a Firefox error message. It's now happened at least 15 times without exception. I have no problems doing similar things in other forums with Firefox, and I have no problem with this forum when I switch to Google Chrome as the browser. Just SD and Firefox - whether Win7 is a factor I have no idea because I didn't use Firefox with Vista.

Any ideas?

#2 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:54 PM

what version of firefox? When I first switched, LOTS of sites had 'lots of problems'... I never "fixed" any of them, they just went away before I went back to internet explorer. Been using firefox for .....hmmmm.... dunno.... a year?

Did you just install it? Check for updates?

XP here. (And its why I won't buy a new computer. After 10 years, microsoft finally got XP running very well and now we can't get it anymore !)

#3 drifter

drifter

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

Peter,
I just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 and am using a brand new installation of firefox (version 3.6.8) to reply to this. Can you copy and paste the error message that it is giving you when this happens? Also, can you describe what you do when you attempt to quote a post? I'll try and figure out what's up, but I am not getting the same results with my set up.

Following my Windows Vista failing big time and irrepairably, I converted to Windows 7 (after a week of 7 I desperately want to go back to XP, but that's another matter!).

I also now use the latest version of Firefox as my default browser (I couldn't with Vista as it took minutes to load).

I am now finding consistently that when I attempt to quote a post I cannot, and when I persist Firefox simply closes and I get a Firefox error message. It's now happened at least 15 times without exception. I have no problems doing similar things in other forums with Firefox, and I have no problem with this forum when I switch to Google Chrome as the browser. Just SD and Firefox - whether Win7 is a factor I have no idea because I didn't use Firefox with Vista.

Any ideas?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
"Not all those who wander are lost."
~JRR Tolkien

#4 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

Any ideas?

I've had the same issue and been told to delete my cache but that doesn't work (for me). I can delete the cache, reboot, then go back in and still have problems editing. What does work for me is to use "quick edit" instead of the other option (which is Full Edit).

Edited by Kate P, 19 August 2010 - 03:31 PM.

How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#5 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

As I said, I'm using the latest version of Firefox - 3.6.8. Inadvertently I used Firefox to access SD just now, but when I tried to start this reply the input box appeared but refused to accept any input. Then when I pressed a navigation key Firefox simply closed - there is no error message I can quote. There is no doubt that this is happening EVERY time I try to input to SD from Firefox, and NEVER when using Chrome. And with NO other fora. I have seen NO exceptions.

For the record, the Win7 I'm using is the Ultimate version, and in all other respects seems to be working properly. It was only installed a week ago. For several reasons I really don't like it and am desperate to go back to XP if I can, but this is the only actual problem I have come across so far - and this doesn't seem to be related to the OS, though I suppose it could be. The computer is a Toshiba about 18 months old.

I can't think of anything more useful to add. In the past I found Firefox unusable (not just with Vista, but also for the last couple of years I was using XP). Now it's again my preferred browser - except for when I'm browsing SD!

Edited by peterbj7, 19 August 2010 - 05:35 PM.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,725 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

This topic seems to have arisen once already...I think it was Robin aka secretsea18 that was having the original problem. Tammy aka LLDN also seems to have the same issue as well.

Thank goodness I am not having it but I may not be running the newest version of firefox.

I think Robyn was able to deinstall the newest version of Firefox and install an older version and it solved it. There is a thread on this...and it should be in this subforum.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

My brand new PC has Windows 7 Home Premium, and I use Firefox 3.6.8. I can do quotes & edits, but most of the time everything works better if I am working in the mode that shows all the codes (switch between standard & rich text editor button in the upper right corner of your Reply screen).

Question....did you UPGRADE to Windows 7, or was in a brand new installation of the operating software? Sometimes that makes a difference to the IT guys.
Posted Image

#8 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

My laptop totally died (wouldn't boot), so there was no OS to upgrade from. It was a totally new installation of Win7 Ultimate, onto a freshly reformatted HD.

#9 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

My laptop totally died (wouldn't boot), so there was no OS to upgrade from. It was a totally new installation of Win7 Ultimate, onto a freshly reformatted HD.

I use Firefox (now on 3.6.8) and had to switch to the standard mode to get it to work properly otherwise I had similar problems to what you reported. I think it was around version 3.5 the problem started but the tip from LLDN kept me from getting too frustrated (couldn't reply but could copy / paste / post then sort of edit).

Since you have Windows 7 Ultimate you can download Windows XP mode - it's a virtual copy of Windows XP.

This will walk you through installing it and when done can run Windows XP SP3 in a window:

http://www.microsoft...c/download.aspx

It's worked for me on everything I've tried so far and it doesn't cost anything extra :P

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#10 drifter

drifter

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

Peter,

If you've done the cache clearing trick, another thing you might try is reinstalling firefox from scratch. (Be sure to save your bookmarks before doing this!).

Scott
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
"Not all those who wander are lost."
~JRR Tolkien

#11 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:37 PM

Since you have Windows 7 Ultimate you can download Windows XP mode - it's a virtual copy of Windows XP

Theoretically yes, but there are hardware requirements that my computer apparently doesn't meet. So far I've been unable to get XP running, though I haven't given up.

Scott - I've only just installed Firefox and in all other respects it seems to be working fine. I had this problem the very first time I used my new Firefox on my new Win7.

#12 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:13 AM

Hi Peter,

A fresh install is a good thing as it eliminates many causes out of the gate, but still quite a complex thing to track down. I have seen a MS Office file take down an Exchange server before. :P

Have you tried here on the FF support site? It lists common issues with the browser and plug-ins. You can start there. See if you can get a Crash ID as described in the article.

You can also try running FF in Safe Mode to see if that helps.

Rolling back to a previous version may fix issues in the short term, but will put your PC at risk from past vulnerabilities.

Tracking down issues (especially on Windows platforms) takes time. Thanks for providing the detailed info so far. We will fix this in time. Firefox 4 is currently in Beta so hopefully that new version will play nicer with your system. That is several months away though.

Cheers.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users