• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

New Airbase Would Destroy Coral Reef

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 wreck_maniac

wreck_maniac

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:41 AM

New Airbase Would Destroy Coral Reef and Essential Dugong Habitat

Date: Thursday, September 09, 2004 AD - 01:13 AM
A coalition of hundreds of US and international conservation groups representing more than 10 million people sent a letter today to President George W. Bush and Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi urging the two leaders to cancel a plan to construct a new air base on top of a coral reef near Henoko, Okinawa, the feeding ground of the last remaining Okinawa Dugong (sea cow). Biologists believe building this landing strip could doom these gentle marine mammals to extinction.

The plan calls for Japan to build a new military base for American use atop coral reefs--effectively destroying the remaining habitat of the gentle dugong in Japan. The 1.5 mile-long airbase would also permanently disrupt one of the most biologically diverse areas in the Pacific.

The coral reefs in question provide important habitat for numerous rare wildlife species including the endangered dugong, a Japanese cultural icon related to the manatee, and three species of sea turtle. Local residents voted against the airbase project in a referendum, but Japanese and US authorities are ignoring their voices.

A coalition of US and Japanese conservation groups went to court in September 2003 to stop the project. The case is currently being heard in US District Court in San Francisco. The lawsuit asks the US Department of Defense to comply with the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) by publicly assessing the impacts of the proposed project on the Okinawa dugong.

The NHPA requires US agencies to assess the impacts of their activities on cultural icons of foreign nations. Because of their significance to Okinawan culture, dugongs are included on a Japanese government list of protected cultural properties.

"The Department of Defense has a legal duty to protect the cultural resources and national monuments of other nations, especially our allies," said Martin Wagner of Earthjustice, who is representing the coalition in the United States. "The Okanawa dugong is a cultural icon and national monument in Japan. This vanishing species deserves the same protection and respect that we give to the Washington Monument or bald eagle."

The letter sent today was signed more than 400 organizations representing more than 10 million concerned citizens worldwide.

"Construction of the new airbase would cause severe ecological damage to one of the most diverse ecosystems on earth," said Peter Galvin of Center for Biological Diversity who organized the letter campaign. " For this reason, conservation groups around the world are asking President George W. Bush and Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi to cancel the base construction plan and protect the Okinawa dugong, a creature recognized as a national monument in Japan."

To view the letter and signatories visit: http://www.earthjustice.org/

Source: Center for Biological Diversity
~dale

NC Wreck Divers Dive the Graveyard of the Atlantic

#2 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for the info, Dale. Alas, many nations act in an extremely short-sided fashion when it comes to protecting our environment.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#3 Sylvia

Sylvia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:2

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:10 PM

Dale,

Please keep us informed on this with regards to any new developments.

Thanks.

#4 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the info, Dale. Alas, many nations act in an extremely short-sided fashion when it comes to protecting our environment.

Earthjustice has made a career of going after the military and supporting such groups as ELF, ALF and PETA. They also have a reputation of presenting extremely one-sided and seriously inflated views of what would otherwise be called facts in pursuit of a rather left sided political agenda. They have even been referred to as a "domestic terrorist" organization. As such, a bit of caution in believing what they say is in order. I wonder what the military's side of this story is?

#5 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:24 PM

We might disagree about Smurfs and lighting technologies, Richard, but I wholeheartedly stand behind what you just said.

#6 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:31 PM

indeed, there are always two sides.

and somehow i seriously doubt that in this day and age any nation would intentionaly destroy the "last remaining" habitat and breeding ground of an endangered species which also happens to be one of their "cultural icons"

and yes EarthJustice is on the extreme left, and was the actual original parent organization for ELF.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#7 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:52 PM

We might disagree about Smurfs and lighting technologies, Richard, but I wholeheartedly stand behind what you just said.

Thanks, I've never been accused of being a tree hugger.

Love a fish, feed a shark a tree hugger!
HEhehehehehe

#8 Wildcard

Wildcard

Meeting folks

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:What's a log?

Posted 10 September 2004 - 01:06 AM

Some people will believe anything they read, even if it is absurd.

#9 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:16 AM

Imagine that, an ‘eco-friendly’ group stating only one side of an argument! What’s next, mass media manipulating the news?

#10 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:56 AM

sometimes it's easier to hug 'em when they're lying on the ground.

#11 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 07:48 AM

Imagine that, an ‘eco-friendly’ group stating only one side of an argument! What’s next, mass media manipulating the news?

Agreed! What's next?

I know! What if they even stoop so low as to try and influence a presidential election by promoting false documents and fake news! Noooo....they'd Never do that....they're honest and unbiased!!! (please read with intense sarcasim.)

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 September 2004 - 08:22 AM

sometimes it's easier to hug 'em when they're lying on the ground.

Girl I don't know what is funnier....hugging a tree on the ground or feeding a shark a tree hugger! :welcome:

You BOTH just made my day! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#13 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 September 2004 - 08:37 AM

Agreed! What's next?

I know! What if they even stoop so low as to try and influence a presidential election by promoting false documents and fake news! Noooo....they'd Never do that....they're honest and unbiased!!! (please read with intense sarcasim.)

Two-way street, guys, two-way street. Guess we just have to take BOTH sides with a grain of salt- that's the way life is- everyone has their own agenda...

I have to admit, I am a "tree hugger" from way back when- served on the board of an environmental group, got arrested a couple of times for civil disobedience. Some of my views have changed over the years but I still have that bias that kicks in. But, you are right, all of you, & I would be interested in hearing "the rest of the story."

Am I forgiven now??? :welcome:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#14 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 10 September 2004 - 09:51 AM

for what? huggin' trees?
it's ok with me, sistuh....unless you go huggin' MY tree!!!!!

:welcome:

#15 wreck_maniac

wreck_maniac

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:DM

Posted 10 September 2004 - 10:33 AM

I got your tree right here :banghead:

I did find this "news article" to be a bit dramatized, but thought it'd ruffle some feathers ;)
~dale

NC Wreck Divers Dive the Graveyard of the Atlantic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users