• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

a forum idea....

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 mvillanueva

mvillanueva

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI. Varied diving to date: Freshwater wells, Catalina, Oahu, and Kona. And one night dive
  • Logged Dives:32!

Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:48 PM

Nevermind. Tempest in a tea cup. No one asked -- at least publically -- for a password protected news area.

I can see whatever issues that made this whole move necessary are not going to come to the surface.

It really does not matter.
Cap'n Lobo Stripper the Peglegless

#17 triggerfish

triggerfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 13 September 2004 - 01:52 PM

walter, as you know, i agree with michael. making password protected makes it seem like something is being 'hidden'.

a section for news is great.

people can CHOOSE whether or not to read it.

#18 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 13 September 2004 - 04:35 PM

Well, since I kinda instigated the s%^&-storm, I should probably clarify my motivations in this.

Yes, I did post this suggestion after a discussion that occured off the board.

NO, I did not intend to "hide" or in any way cast a disparaging light upon news articles in any way, shape, or form.

My intention was to make people aware that we probably needed a few more catagories for the various forums, to keep things organized.

As far as "password protecting" the forum, I tend to agree that that is probably not the best way of doing it, but, if you look at it slightly differently, instead of looking at it as it is asking for a password, think of it as aking whether YOU want to filter this out of your "view new posts" link.

Pleasing everybody all the time is pretty much an impossible task, but by being able to pick and choose the threads that come up on your screen, can help to please more of the people more of the time.
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#19 texasdiverdude

texasdiverdude

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave, Trimix
  • Logged Dives:774

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:16 AM

If the volume of posts is becoming unmanageable then provide more forums and let people go where they want. If they want to see all new posts then let them filter it themselves.

If it's a brand management issue I think the same philosophy still applies. It's a forum after all...where you exchange ideas, and that needs to be understood fundamentally. You can't create utopia on the web...too many people, ideas, and opinions.

Passwords are not needed...people can make their own decisions. I don't think we need a "big brother" to make the decisions of what we see. No offense to any of the administration/moderator folks.

#20 zendiver

zendiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:28 AM

None taken TDD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users