• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

a forum idea....

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:53 PM

I was thinking as I was browsing thru the new posts today, and noticing how a lot of really interesting stuff can get buried awful quickly if you are not paying attention.

We have a really great forum here guys, and one that brightens my day no matter how down and gloomy it is before I get to my desk, I always know that once I log on to here and read some of the banter and comments that are going around, it always brings a smile to my face.

I was thinking though, our sport (and our world) does have a more serious side, and it would be nice to have a section of the board where we could post news articles, both good and bad, and keep them organized.

For those of us that are interested, everything is at our fingertips, and for those of us that are not interested, we could make it an opt-in forum.

Just an idea to keep the upbeat mood and banter, and friendliness of this forum front and center where it will remain the big draw, and the first thing that new members will see, but offering more depth and substance for those of us that want it.

:lmao:
Adam
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#2 mvillanueva

mvillanueva

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI. Varied diving to date: Freshwater wells, Catalina, Oahu, and Kona. And one night dive
  • Logged Dives:32!

Posted 09 September 2004 - 05:36 PM

I think that is a really good idea -- I can see how stuff can be buried quickly, and for those of us that while our time away inventing silly visuals, would give a spot within which to post those efforts without fear of distracting from other more relevant threads.
Cap'n Lobo Stripper the Peglegless

#3 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 09 September 2004 - 05:43 PM

I was thinking though, our sport (and our world) does have a more serious side, and it would be nice to have a section of the board where we could post news articles, both good and bad, and keep them organized.

I don't think our copyright rules would allow that, would they? :lmao:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#4 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 05:46 PM

I don't think our copyright rules would allow that, would they? :lmao:

A news article is not neccissarily copyrighted material. A lot would depend on HOW you posted material.

For instance, AFIK, I can post a small story saying that the USS Oriskany is going to be sunk this weekend, but I can't grab pictures of it from somebody else's site.

#5 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 05:54 PM

I wish! Excerpting (which is allowed) from: http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

What is a Copyright?

Copyright is a protection that covers published and unpublished literary, scientific and artistic works, whatever the form of expression, provided such works are fixed in a tangible or material form. This means that if you can see it, hear it and/or touch it - it may be protected. If it is an essay, if it is a play, if it is a song, if it is a funky original dance move, if it is a photograph, HTML coding or a computer graphic that can be set on paper, recorded on tape or saved to a hard drive, it may be protected. Copyright laws grant the creator the exclusive right to reproduce, prepare derivative works, distribute, perform and display the work publicly. Exclusive means only the creator of such work, not anybody who has access to it and decides to grab it.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#6 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:03 PM

I wish!  Excerpting (which is allowed) from:  http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

What is a Copyright?

Copyright is a protection that covers published and unpublished literary, scientific and artistic works, whatever the form of expression, provided such works are fixed in a tangible or material form. This means that if you can see it, hear it and/or touch it - it may be protected. If it is an essay, if it is a play, if it is a song, if it is a funky original dance move, if it is a photograph, HTML coding or a computer graphic that can be set on paper, recorded on tape or saved to a hard drive, it may be protected. Copyright laws grant the creator the exclusive right to reproduce, prepare derivative works, distribute, perform and display the work publicly. Exclusive means only the creator of such work, not anybody who has access to it and decides to grab it.

well, if that's the case, then this:

coral reef thread

is already a problem, and so is the link in your signature line.

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,724 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:03 PM

First off I think the idea of a new forum is great! Good one Adam! As for the issues with copyright material here is our policy:

Copyrighted material cannot be posted unless you have permission from the holder of the copyright to post it. This is a legal issue dealing with ownership. When we find material posted in violation we will remove it.

It is my understanding that if we link to the original source of the material that we are not in violation of the copyright laws. If we 'cut and paste' the material to our post and site that we are most likely are in violation of the copyright laws.

I will defer to Walter to address this more fully. He handles these matters for SD.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:22 PM

I wish!  Excerpting (which is allowed) from:  http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

What is a Copyright?

well, if that's the case, then this:

coral reef thread

is already a problem, and so is the link in your signature line.

Uhn, excerpts are allowed, and publications by the US govt are not covered by copyright laws.

Good idea, just not lawful - and we are too new to invite attack, I think the thinking is.

#9 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:48 AM

I think that is a really good idea -- I can see how stuff can be buried quickly, and for those of us that while our time away inventing silly visuals, would give a spot within which to post those efforts without fear of distracting from other more relevant threads.

that statement alone proves the need for it's OWN forum entitled

HUH???

seriously (from ME??) it's a good idea...news you can use kinda thing.

adam and julio can be star reporters.

#10 mvillanueva

mvillanueva

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI. Varied diving to date: Freshwater wells, Catalina, Oahu, and Kona. And one night dive

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:55 AM

When I offered support for this idea, I had no idea that the end result would be a news forum with a password -- that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Of course, the use of the word "stupid" is VERY non-PC, and I do admit I spent time searching for alternatives that would be more PC.

But in the end, "stupid" won.

What the hell is going on here? What is the issue? Do we have some type of silent majority on this board AKA form the Richard Nixon era as lampooned on "Laugh In" that are daily offended by news posts?

My gut tells me something stinks here -- this whole whing reeks like a set-up.

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 13 September 2004 - 11:07 AM

It's not a set up. It's a trial. Give it a couple if weeks, let's see how everyone feels about it after giving it a fair try. We will look at it again. If you still don't like the idea, even if you still think it's stupid, let me know.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 mvillanueva

mvillanueva

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 11:17 AM

It's not a set up. It's a trial. Give it a couple if weeks, let's see how everyone feels about it after giving it a fair try. We will look at it again. If you still don't like the idea, even if you still think it's stupid, let me know.

Walter

This is a trial? Ok. Someone has taken all the news events and effectively put them at the back of the bus. Clearly to not offend someone's sensibilities. Whose Walter? Is there a vocal group that PMs about these news articles?

I don't need a couple of weeks to try this on for size.

I think it is stupid now, and it will be just as stupid and as idiotic in the future. The IQ of this idea aint gonna magically rise.

These are policies of this board???

This reeks of manipulation and control.

#13 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 13 September 2004 - 11:53 AM

How do you really feel? Seems to have you in quite a tizzy! I mean ... this isn't as life-and-death/good-and-evil as ... say the designated hitter or artificial turf!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#14 flatwood

flatwood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Board Status:on
  • Cert Level:open water, Nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:100 plus

Posted 13 September 2004 - 11:56 AM

How do you really feel? Seems to have you in quite a tizzy! I mean ... this isn't as life-and-death/good-and-evil as ... say the designated hitter or artificial turf!

didn't bother me either :lam:
I've got 99 problems and diving ain't one of them.

#15 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:41 PM

I moved several of the most recent news threads to the News forum. That's where they belong. Eventually, they'll all be moved there. That forum may or may not continue to have a password. Feedback from our members will play a large factor in the final determination.

Ideas don't have IQs. It may be a good idea or it may be a very bad idea. We'll never know until we give it a chance to work. I understand you don't like the idea and have no interest in giving it a chance. I'll assume, unless you tell me otherwise, at the end of the trial, you are in favor of removing the password.

I appreciate your feedback.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users