• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Married-Buddiless Divers on Singles Trips?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:03 PM

I have wondered about this idea, and even opposed it at times. I wondered if the married person was really giving in to latent "wish I wasn't so tied down" feelings, was on the prowl, or whatever? I asked this question of a feller on another forum:

(1) You're wife wouldn't mind you going off to paradise with a group of singles, acting like singles often act when hundereds of miles from home?

(2) You'd rather go with Singles than a mixed group - from your LDS or local club?

The answer was so obvious that I never thought of it, and I don't think anyone ever explained it to me. I feel like someone just turned a light one for me.

Sounds good to me. not a problem with the wife.

As for the mixed group the problem is exactly what you describe. {When the diving is over, the couples gather for dinner and activities, and the single guy becomes an outsider.} Although married, the trip ends up a group of couples and i'm the third wheel.

In my defense, I have not been married in decades, so I have only a vague memory of that experiment. But now that I see, heck yes - Single Marrieds are fine with me.

Unmarried Couples are a different deal, though. What about them on a Singles trip?
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#2 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:40 PM

Me thinks you have too much time on your hands and think too much!!!

Unmarried couples wouldn't be buddy-less then would they??? But nothing says they can't come on one of our trips!! Anything that fills the seats eh?
Sempar Partus!!

#3 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 01:55 PM

Me thinks you have too much time on your hands and think too much!!!

Unmarried couples wouldn't be buddy-less then would they??? But nothing says they can't come on one of our trips!! Anything that fills the seats eh?

Oh, this is something I've argued over - and now I feel badly that I may have not been polite enough to single-marrieds.

"Anything to fill a seat" is below this board, though, unless we sponsor a trip that the members don't support. :dltears:

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#4 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 13 September 2004 - 02:00 PM

i think 'anything to fill seats' does happen.

i have no problem with anyone coming on the trips

#5 KConner

KConner

Getting started

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water, working on DIVE CON
  • Logged Dives:57

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:14 AM

My experience with LDS trips, is that everyone has a buddy at the point that they sign up.

And I DEFINATELY notice that the couples do couple things when not diving, so you have two choices, let them invite you along out of charity, or give them some privacy..and hang out by yourself.

Buddyless divers ARE single, from a Camaraderie standpoint, albeit not a romantic one.
"When you finally see qhat goes on underwater, you realize that youve been missing the whole point of the ocean. Staying on the surface all the time is like going to a circus and staring at the outside of the tent. [Dave Barry]

"From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life." [Arthur Ashe]

#6 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:20 PM

In my defense, I have not been married in decades, so I have only a vague memory of that experiment. But now that I see, heck yes - Single Marrieds are fine with me.

Unmarried Couples are a different deal, though. What about them on a Singles trip?

So I'm I'm to understand correctly, since I have recently started seeing someone who is a diver in Dandy Don's world we wouldn't be welcome on any trip you happened to be on?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#7 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:02 AM

Another problem with picking up a buddy on an LDS trip is that you have no clue who the person is or if the diver is competent. Depending on your own training and experience level, if you are buddied with a less than competent diver, you may be in a potentially dangerous situation. I've been there, I know.

Going on a trip with people you kind of know (people from SD for instance) helps this situation somewhat. Hopefully, you will eventually dive with those people more often and get more familiar with each other's abilities and skill levels. At least the buddy situation isn't a one-shot. You may have a dive buddy and a good friend for a long, long time. The friend part is even more important.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#8 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:14 AM

So I'm I'm to understand correctly, since I have recently started seeing someone who is a diver in Dandy Don's world we wouldn't be welcome on any trip you happened to be on?

Danyd Don's World? Is that something like Wayne's World? :wacko:

Hey, I just now got someone to explain why Single-Marrieds would want to go on a Singles trip. I try to keep an open mind, and I'm grateful for that new understanding.

I offered this as a question: "Unmarried Couples are a different deal, though. What about them on a Singles trip?" Sorry if you took it otherwise.

:wakawaka:

#9 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:34 AM

you'd BOTH be welcome on any trip I was on, jamie...and i'd kick the ass of anyone who objected.

not that i have any strong feelings in that respect...

#10 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:38 AM

Hey, I just now got someone to explain why Single-Marrieds would want to go on a Singles trip. I try to keep an open mind, and I'm grateful for that new understanding.

it gives the diving half of the couple the freedom to enjoy his/her activity without having to entertain the other half. there is nothing so miserable as watching a couple (married or not) arguing about the diver wanting to dive, and the other wanting to "see the island". or shop. or whatever.

#11 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:14 AM

But, I'm gonna' catch hell anyway, whichever way I look. :wakawaka:

#12 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:37 AM

that's why god put you on this earth, don.

gives us somebody to pick on.

#13 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:18 AM

Jamie, as TF said, you & Wendi would be most welcome on any trip that I participate in & I think that th majority of sd.com members would feel the same. Even though this is a site for single/buddiless divers,I hope that most of us, as people & divers tend to be inclusive rather that exclusive.

Personally, I would welcome any divers that want to join us on trips, no matter what their status. The best part of sd.com trips is the camaraderie that we experience while diving together & hanging out afterward. That camaraderie is not, & should not be, limited to just singles. Most of my best dive buddies are married or attached. We still have a great time diving together & then hanging out but then they rightfully go home to their SO. Sd.com simply gives us singles more options to meet & make new friends.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#14 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:35 AM

well said, sistuh

#15 flatwood

flatwood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Board Status:on
  • Cert Level:open water, Nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:100 plus

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:40 AM

well said, sistuh

I agree with you tf ( that makes me nervous lol) and marvel. I dive with groups to meet new friends and dive buddys. :wakawaka:
I've got 99 problems and diving ain't one of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users