• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Anyone Key West March 9-13??

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jetdoc

jetdoc

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced diver
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:35 PM

I'm looking to dive Key West in March 2011 and need a buddy. I'm from Wisconsin so I cant wait to see blue water with vis more than 3 feet and water temp greater than 40 degrees!! I want to dive the Vandenburg and open for anything else including a shark dive if possible. I would like to dive as much as possible on that Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday. If anyone has any info that might help me plan, that would be great. Such as places to stay, dive operator sugestions etc. Been through PADI rescue diver and starting Divemaster. Only been diving for year and a half but I'm a very cautious and safe diver. Thanks in advance Travis

#2 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

Hello Travis,

I just signed up for the Truk / Palau trip for April 2011. I am figuring that I will do a quick trip somewhere to get a few dives in prior to that trip, and a March Keys trip may work out for me. It is a bit early to commit to it right now, but I will keep it in mind. Ed

I'm looking to dive Key West in March 2011 and need a buddy. I'm from Wisconsin so I cant wait to see blue water with vis more than 3 feet and water temp greater than 40 degrees!! I want to dive the Vandenburg and open for anything else including a shark dive if possible. I would like to dive as much as possible on that Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday. If anyone has any info that might help me plan, that would be great. Such as places to stay, dive operator sugestions etc. Been through PADI rescue diver and starting Divemaster. Only been diving for year and a half but I'm a very cautious and safe diver. Thanks in advance Travis

#3 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:24 PM

Rainbow Reef is a good dive op out of Key Largo. I'd bet folks are wondering - do you have any flexiblity in your schedule?
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#4 jetdoc

jetdoc

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

Yes I do. I would like to go Feb, March, April at the latest. Im researching now to find out the best time to visit the area. Anyone know?? Reasonable places to stay? I'm very open to schedule change. I just want to dive! Thanks in advance!!

#5 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:03 PM

Yes I do. I would like to go Feb, March, April at the latest. Im researching now to find out the best time to visit the area. Anyone know?? Reasonable places to stay? I'm very open to schedule change. I just want to dive! Thanks in advance!!

The site has a load of folks from FL who are familiar with the area. I'll ask a Islamorada friend but someone will probably beat me to it. Are you set on FL? I'd join you but opted for the Saba trip. The MN cold starts to get me down by early Feb. and I love doing a trip around then.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#6 Bubbles

Bubbles

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:28 AM

Rainbow Reef is a good dive op out of Key Largo. I'd bet folks are wondering - do you have any flexiblity in your schedule?

I too recommend Rainbow Reef for Key Largo.
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:56 AM

Hey JetDoc...just how flexible are you? Can you join us on our Saba, St Kitts, St Marteen trip? Multiple islands...one boat and 5 dives a day in a totally relaxing but pampered lifestyle????

If so consider joining Lynn and I HERE!!!

Just click on this link for the details. Maybe you can join us! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 jetdoc

jetdoc

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:24 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. Now looking at the last week in February. Im trying to stay away from spring break!! Found good prices on flights and rental car from Miami. Still trying to figure out which dive operator to use.. Any help is good.. Thanks

#9 jetdoc

jetdoc

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

Been doing more research on my trip and had some comments from people about the weather in January and February in Florida. How is the diving at that time? Anything to worry about as far a vis or water conditions? Thanks

#10 pault

pault

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:master diver naui 570+ dives
  • Logged Dives:570+

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:44 PM

have you final detalis on your planned trip? could your dates be moved to april ?I am a retired diver with a very flexible schedule. I am a non smoker light drinker , intermediate level diver (850 dives) certified master ,tec ,wreck and solo diver. I prefer to dive solo.Would any of that work for you ?

#11 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:06 PM

HiYa, My GO TO operators for Key West based on my last visit on The Van'B about Sept '09 would be:
Captians Corner for dive op. Nice boat, lets you dive your own profile with buddy, cheap EAN. Be advised the do not have a store front or parking, they use a Tiki Hut by boat and figure on $10 for parking. Heres the link
http://00003zb.dev.r...net/default.htm

I would stay at the Blue Marlin Motel. 1 street north of Duval at oppisite end of party central about a 20 min. walk from Mallory Sq. No problem except after a hard nite of drinking.
Here's thier link:
http://www.bluemarlinmotel.com/
or across the street at Spanhish Garden Motel
http://floridakeys.net/spanishgardens/
both of these motels near by southern most point.
I'd wait until later in March for a trip.
Need more info on cheap places to crash on the keys or dive ops, just post.

Of course a group trip with SingleDivers.Com for more diving per day is the way to go.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#12 DivingNole

DivingNole

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:136

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

I can't make the Keys this time around, but when I was down there in August I dove out of Key West with Lost Reef Adventures. Had a great experience with them and felt they were safety conscious, which was a bonus since I had a previous not-so-great dive trip with another op down there. I did their Vandenberg trip, as well as a couple of reef trips.

#13 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

IMHO the Vandenberg is the ONLY reason to dive Key West (unless you go out to the Dry Tortugas, but then you'd be in the Dry Tortugas and not Key West). I use Subtropic http://www.subtropic.com/ as they allow you to double-dip the Vandy. I'd love to join you, but I'll be diving Indonesia during that timeframe.
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users