• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2011 New Year's Personal and Diving Resolutions

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

Its time to start fresh...make changes and welcome in a new year while exiting the old one. Its also time to make New Year's Resolutions.

So do you make them? Have you already broken them?

What are yours???

Mine...

1. Redo the work I lost on the 2010 Nutrition and Fitness Challenge - Recycled from 2010
2. Get all of 2011 trips locked in and posted for booking by Feb 1, 2011
3. Get all my holiday thank you's done by the end of the first week of Jan - have half of them done already!
4. Implement more automation on the site so it easier to use and more efficient specifically add an online trip booking system, get the old homepage back up and running, work with a consulting team to make the site more navigatable for new members.
5. Go to the doctor to do a series of wellness tests to see if I have any health issues I need to take care of. - Went yesterday and had a full wellness exam. Should have the results back in a week. I also have a dermatology appt for the 10th to look at a place that may be skin cancer.
6. Drop the 'extra pounds' my selling my home and moving to SC gave me. - Will invite others to shed the pounds with me!
7. Get a major medical health care plan for serious accidents.

Oh yeah...dive more in 2011! ;)

Edited by WreckWench, 05 January 2011 - 11:06 AM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

How can you dive any more?!?!?! You are always on an exoctic SD trip. Luckily your passion and your business meet.
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hee! Hee! You can never dive too much! ;)

But we used to do 22-24 trips a year and last year we only did about 15 so for 2011 we have 18 planned. THAT is what I mean by 'dive more'.

As for combining my passion and my career...about 9 years ago when this thing started I decided that I would not sit back and dream about all the exciting things I would do when I retired. I would like to say I gave up job security, health insurance and financial security to pursue my dream but actually they gave me up during the telecom bust. I initially retrained and opened a small nutritional business while my diving hobby kept my sanity. So while I still do not have health insurance nor financial security, I chose to risk it all and follow my dreams. The only reason I was able to do so was I had lived off peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and top ramen soup for almost 2 years prior in an effort to pay off all my credit card debt and so was able to live for only the price of my house payment and utilities. (I had already paid off my car and 9 years later are still driving the same car.)

In the early years of SD I survived doing nutritional counseling and ebaying. Fortunately I had streamlined my life and lost the urge to always have something new, bigger and better so I was happy with nothing other than watching my baby grow. And while I am poor in material possessions and other measures of wealth, I am wealthy in experiences and the joy of living life in the moment.

Now SD is a nearing her preteen years it will soon be time to totally revamp her. Be watching for your chance to help with that in the next couple of years. ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:10 AM

A wise friend just reminded me that I REALLY need to get a major medical plan in the event that I am hurt in an accident, etc. He is right but here is the rub...

I need YOUR help to find one. It seems I only find junk, ripoffs or these 'fake' plans.

If ANYONE knows of a good, reputable major medical plan that a self employed person can use PLEASE tell me about it! :thankyou:

p.s. And if its from a member... bonus! ;)

formerly...

#5 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

Blue Cross/Blue Shield is headquartered here in KC, and they advertise a "Blue for You" plan. You might look into that....but whatever you choose, make sure it covers you internationally, since you spend a LOT of time out of the country.
Posted Image

#6 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:13 PM

OK:

Diving----- Easy====> More!!! More!!!! And I have done that via Cozumel with some friends in February and Truk Palau with this group in April/May. Yeah baby!!!! :wakawaka: :wakawaka: :wakawaka:

Personal--Continue to get healthy. Finish shaking this mystery illness. Finished 2010 well by being in the gym 4 days a week. Keep that up.

Rebuild social life. Most of my social circle are moving away this year. :tears: Kind of depressing really. Not that I will loose their friendship just their proximity.

Learn something new. Not sure what, but something. Surfing? Spanish? Web Design? Piano?

That's all I wish to publish.

Bring on '11 may it be a damn sight better than '10!!!

Edited by ev780, 05 January 2011 - 07:28 PM.

"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#7 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

Health insurance might be reason for a new thread.

Educate yourself about "HSAs" Health Savings Accounts... they are for high-deductible plans. Sort of like an IRA but it is set aside for medical costs for high-deductibles. The great news is if you dont need it, then that money continues to grow and you can use it as a retirement plan. Do NOT confuse with FSA plans.

New year resolutions
  • complete the underwater digital photography course and then take the underwater photography instructor course.
  • Teach more E.F.R. courses.
  • Play victim in PADI rescue course a minimum of twice.
Resolution Commandment for Januray 2011 is to finish this book I have been working on for two years.

#8 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

Does anyone know of any health insurance plans that would be available to me, a Brit living in Belize. So far I've not been able to find one. It has to be affordable, and in the event of something serious and longterm happening to me has to get me to the UK, where for the time being at any rate health care is free. It needn't cover anything minor, say up to $5000.

#9 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

WW,

you might look at United Healthcare too; my employer-sponsered plan covers me out of the county...don't know if an individual plan would too but it's worth a look

#10 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

Resolutions...tricky little things... always slipping out from under me.

The good news, I did manage to lose some weight last year, I seem to be in a different decade of weight and would like to drop 10 more pounds this next year.

So, resolution one is to eat healthier to drop weight and get completely well in 2011.

I can be a clutter bug so resolution two is to organize the paper that is "necessary" (figure out what should be "necessary" first, LOL!)

Last resolution is more of a hope, to be well enough to dive on a SD trip... need a bit more healing for that one! Hopefully I'll see some SD friends sometime this summer!!

#11 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

This year my resolutions revolve mostly around health/fitness:
-continue 2011 as a nonsmoker - it's now been 4 weeks without a slip so I am optimistic
-at least 5-6 servings of fruits and veggies a day. I've been hitting 4-5 servings most days recently so I just need to work a *little* harder
-64+ ounces of water each day
-generally eat more whole foods and less (or no) processed foods
-exercise more
-get some more dive training/build some skills!
-take a few dive trips (not as many as 2010 due to vacation constraints :-( )
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#12 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

-continue 2011 as a nonsmoker - it's now been 4 weeks without a slip so I am optimistic

Congratulations, Kate! You're past the physical addiction now, so now all that you need to do is get STUBBORN and refuse go pick the habit back up. The mental addiction is the toughest part to beat, but it CAN be done, as many of your SD friends can attest!! You can call me anytime if you're at a breaking point, and I'll talk you out of it. :D
Posted Image

#13 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

If ANYONE knows of a good, reputable major medical plan that a self employed person can use PLEASE tell me about it! :thankyou:

There is the Simon Plan. For only $199 a year, I give you a fancy card to charge 100% of your medical expenses too. Then when the hospital calls I send them 6 pounds of paperwork and endlessly send back submitted copies for more corrections, addendums and information. If that fails, "The check is in the mail" works well. ; )

As for New Years resolutions I will be debt free this year. First time in a long time. ;)

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#14 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

Congratulations, Kate! You're past the physical addiction now, so now all that you need to do is get STUBBORN and refuse go pick the habit back up. The mental addiction is the toughest part to beat, but it CAN be done, as many of your SD friends can attest!! You can call me anytime if you're at a breaking point, and I'll talk you out of it. :D

Thanks Tammy. So far I just keep telling myself it's not an option, so I'm not even letting myself entertain the notion of "Maybe".. i think that's what messed me up before. I do appreciate the offer.

So what is/are other people's new year's/dive resolutions?
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#15 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

Mine is typical.....I'm finally going to shed as much excess weight as possible. I had a co-worker come give all my exercise equipment a thorough tune-up in December, and I started the new life-style on 1/1/11. (I really HATE the word "diet" and think it's a misnomer in this context, anyway). I have many pounds to lose, but I'm losing about a pound a day here in the beginning. Some will say that's too fast, but I am in the fitness industry and I got my ACE certified personal trainer creds years ago, and my doctor is part of this journey.

I'm hoping to require a lot less lead in my BC on future dive trips! Getting rid of the 'bio-prene' will help.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users