• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

UPS...no not the shipping company...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

For all businesses and anyone that uses a computer for anything more than cruising the internet, a vital piece of equipment is a U.P.S. ( Uninteruptable Power Supply ) with very very good surge suppression.

Also you should practice "single point grounding". In other words, EVERYTHING connected to you computer is plugged into the UPS and nothing else. If any ethernet or phone lines are connected, they should go through the protection system built into (or bonded to) the U.P.S.

I took the simple route. My DSL modem and wireless router are plugged into a UPS into which the DSL phone line is plugged for protection. Then all other computers have individual U.P.S. and only use wireless connections. Even the desk lamps are plugged into the U.P.S. system. Lightning in Florida is not describable and it is unbelievable until you spend a summer on the west coast of Florida. Another reasons all of my computers are set up individually because that elminates "contagious catastrophic failure". I am unlikely to lose more than one system during one event.

And while typing this, I reminded myself to test the U.P.S. It's nice to know I have three kilowatt-hour of standby !

And a reminder to everyone using VoIP telephone service, you should have that plugged into a U.P.S. to maintain telephone service as long as possible.
  • shadragon likes this

#2 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:47 AM

For all businesses and anyone that uses a computer for anything more than cruising the internet, a vital piece of equipment is a U.P.S. ( Uninteruptable Power Supply ) with very very good surge suppression.

Posted Image - Bravo. A UPS also reduces the chance of a disaster caused by brown-outs, power fluctuations and failures. I have used many brands of UPS over the years and have found APC brand to be bullet proof. Every major data center on the island uses APC UPS's.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:50 AM

I use APC for the server here at work. They're not cheap, and they do eventually die, but they do have an exchange program. I just paid $600 to replace our server battery backup that has a 5 hour life. They give you a return shipping label, so you don't have to pay to return the bad battery.

During storm season, at home I unplug expensive or vital things that I'm not using.....computer, big TV, microwave, treadmill, etc. We have some pretty wicked storms here in the Midwest, too.
Posted Image

#4 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

I don't know enough about UPS devices. It's well known here that they only protect against a limited range of what can go wrong, and the only way to be safe is to disconnect. I have had several desktop computer motherboards fried when there were monstrous voltage surges (from the normal 110 up as far as 440), and the UPS didn't react fast enough. I think the only safe UPS is one I designed myself, and was very simple. I bought a high-capacity lead acid battery (one designed for starting large diesel engines on big boats) and powered my accounting system computer via an AC generator run only from that battery. The battery could run the computer & peripherals for several days. At night I disconnected any electronics and connected a battery charger. I even had a battery charger fried some time ago when there was a massive voltage surge here, though generally they're pretty tolerant. Fridges and washing machines fail regularly, though I've personally been lucky.

One reason I stopped using desktop machines several years ago. I only ever use laptops now, with their inbuilt protection. I've never had a laptop damaged by voltage/power surges, even though they've often been connected at the time.

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

It seems UPS's have 2 roles...

1. Power your device for a period of time if the power goes off
2. Protect your devices in the case of power surges etc.

Do they provide other benefits? What size do you need? Is the size you need merely related to how long you need the device to run if there is a power failure?

And as an aside...if I have an APC that has failed but I did not get rid of it can the battery be replaced or do you replace the whole unit? If the latter I'm guessing there is a warranty period that has probably passed in my case due to moving etc. But just curious if anyone knows.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

The guys at APC are great, and can help you figure out which model you need to suit you. The size will depend on how many things you're hooking up to it, and how long you want it to run those things if required.

I don't know how their warranty works, as I have never had a problem. I do know that when you have a bad unit, you replace the entire thing. I don't think you want to muck about inside the casing.
Posted Image

#7 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

I believe they normally have a standard battery of a type inside, but prevent you replacing it yourself. I see no reason why you couldn't just replace the battery when it wears out, but they ensure you can't do that. I suspect APC can afford to give good customer service because they make enormous profits from these things.

#8 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

It seems UPS's have 2 roles...

1. Power your device for a period of time if the power goes off
2. Protect your devices in the case of power surges etc.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.

Don't forget automatically shutting your PC down safely with the choice of rebooting after power is retored as well. :)

I believe they normally have a standard battery of a type inside, but prevent you replacing it yourself.

Sorry Peter your assumption is wrong. You can replace any APC battery yourself. Other manufacturers make it hard to do, but not them.

To size your UPS properly just go here
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#9 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

I wish I'd known, as I threw away two defunct APC UPS boxes a year or so ago. It wasn't remotely obvious that the battery could be replaced, and others I'd had in the past certainly weren't replaceable, so I didn't check very hard.

#10 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

I wish I'd known, as I threw away two defunct APC UPS boxes a year or so ago. It wasn't remotely obvious that the battery could be replaced, and others I'd had in the past certainly weren't replaceable, so I didn't check very hard.

Been using APC since 1994 exclusively and they always have user replaceable batteries. They take trade-ins as well on defunct gear (even other companies UPS gear last I heard).

#11 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

What about disposal? I always trade them in because it's very difficult (and expensive) to dispose of a large battery around here (or tires, or leftover paint, etc). Can't just toss them in the trash.
Posted Image

#12 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:06 PM

Toss it in someone else's trash then :teeth:

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Thank you Simon! That is good news on user replaceable batteries AND the right size for the job.

I care less about the equipment running after a power failure now that I have a 8-9hr battery on my computer. I do care about power surges though.

When I had fish tanks I DID care about how long life support would run without power so I bought a few fairly large APC UPS's. Now they need new batteries and I'm thrilled I can just replace the batteries rather than buy a new UPS. :wakawaka:

Another new year's resolution getting closer to completion! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

Glad APS batteries are user replaceable. I've had several of them, but didn't replace the batteries. I needed to upgrade the rating anyway. The one before my current one was a Belkin. It didn't have user replaceable batteries and when the battery died, Belkin informed me they were no longer in the UPS market. Grrr.

#15 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

Are there any UPSs made that have an external battery that is simply plugged in? For me and I suspect many people that would be an ideal solution. If you needed more capacity you could simply connect a larger battery or more than one in parallel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users