• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Cocos Islands.... Our Member's Guide to Diving Cocos Islands!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

Many members have asked to dive Cocos Islands and have SD run a trip there. Some of our members have been here and loved it and some said it was not all its cracked up to be.

So let's build out a Member's Guide to Diving Cocos Islands!

Where have you been?
Who did you use as an operator?
Would it be suited for a large group like SD or better for small groups of individuals?
What did you see?
When did you go?
What kinds of conditions?
And did you do any land tours? If so tell us about them as well!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

Although I didn't make this trip personally [another trip I missed cuz o' my 'busted wing'], here's a couple trip reports included in a newsletter from a LDS. The dates of the trip were Oct. 25-Nov. 6, 2010, and the liveaboard was the Aggressor.

http://www.we-b-divi.../December10.pdf

http://www.we-b-divi...1/January11.pdf

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#3 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

Diving in Costa Rica is entirely different than diving in Cocos Island.

You may want to separate them out.

BTW All this information is available in Undercurrent.

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

Robin that was a typo and has been fixed.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

The only way to do Cocos Islands is by liveaboard. There is nothing on the island except for the park rangers quarters.

There are only a handful of liveaboards.

Undersea Hunter
Sea Hunter
Argo

Okeanos Aggressor
Wind Dancer (the newest and with the least experience in Cocos)

There is a 36+ hour crossing each direction so trips are usually 10+ days, that will get you ~ 7 days diving at Cocos. These crossings can be calm but more often are rather rocky, with the sea pitching.

You see sharks, sharks, sharks, rays, rays, sharks and more sharks. There are also other things like huge schools of jacks, lots of sea urchins that even contain pipefish and red-lipped bat fish, octopus, etc.

There are so many sharks that after a while you try to ignore the white-tip sharks.

Generally there are 3 dives a day and optional night dives, where you see the white-tips in extreme hunting mode.

I have been once, in 1999 on the Undersea Hunter. I haven't gone back due to inability to get a berth when I could go, or the fact that it is one of the most expensive trips around. High quality, but yet still it is expensive.

I certainly will return to Cocos Island in the future, and the only boats I'll go on would be the Undersea Hunter fleet. Okeanos scares me and Wind Dancer (although they are new in the game) I don't know enough about.

#6 Scubawishes

Scubawishes

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Certification
  • Logged Dives:200ish

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:45 AM

The only way to do Cocos Islands is by liveaboard. There is nothing on the island except for the park rangers quarters.

Undersea Hunter
Sea Hunter
Argo

Okeanos Aggressor

There is a 36+ hour crossing each direction so trips are usually 10+ days, that will get you ~ 7 days diving at Cocos. These crossings can be calm but more often are rather rocky, with the sea pitching.

You see sharks, sharks, sharks, rays, rays, sharks and more sharks. There are also other things like huge schools of jacks, lots of sea urchins that even contain pipefish and red-lipped bat fish, octopus, etc.

There are so many sharks that after a while you try to ignore the white-tip sharks.

Generally there are 3 dives a day and optional night dives, where you see the white-tips in extreme hunting mode.

I have been once, in 1999 on the Undersea Hunter. I haven't gone back due to inability to get a berth when I could go, or the fact that it is one of the most expensive trips around. High quality, but yet still it is expensive.

I certainly will return to Cocos Island in the future, and the only boats I'll go on would be the Undersea Hunter fleet. Okeanos scares me and Wind Dancer (although they are new in the game) I don't know enough about.

I need to add Cocos to my to-do list! it sounds awesome. Well, you had me a sharks. :)
~K

#7 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:31 AM

Undersea Hunter
Sea Hunter
Argo

Okeanos Aggressor

I need to add Cocos to my to-do list! it sounds awesome. Well, you had me a sharks. :)

Another thing I did not mention, is that you MUST be comfortable in strong currents, and it would be recommended to have an Advanced Open water cert.
I can not stress enough about the current... Every year divers are swept away in the current, and while nearly all are located, it is a scary thing. And also you should be able to handle a pitching sea... Pickups in the tenders are tricky at times, and the seas may be up to a few feet swells on the best day.

When I went, in Sept 1999, it rained every day. We saw sun once on one day, and the rest of the time it was raining or cloudy. But we still dived, and I loved it.
I trained in So. California with NAUI, and was well trained for the conditions there... really no different than diving in the Channel Islands in So California.

I, too, am saving up for my next time to Cocos Island. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users