• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

I'm coming to Dallas!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:51 PM

I'm coming from sunny Belize to your area for only my second ever visit! The first time I got food poisoning (at Subway of all places) and missed Kamala's mum's Thanksgiving dinner (I really loved staying in my hotel room for two days solid, though perhaps liquid would be a better word.....).

I'm bunking down with Stan Eker for the duration, and will be at the Texas Dive Show on the SD stand both days. Sadly I can't find my driver's licence and I'm not going to be able to drive unless it turns up. So I'll be grateful for any lifts in those three weeks (I fly out again on Wednesday 9th March). If anyone's going to be in the DFW airport area any time around 5pm on Wednesday 16th February I'll be grateful for a lift - anywhere! I'm scheduled to land at 4:10pm, and I reckon your nice Immigration people will want my company for most of an hour.

One question that perhaps someone can advise on. I need to get a US SIM card for my phone, a prepaid one. But it must be one that works internationally, so when I'm back in Belize I can keep it current by making the odd call or text message. The last card I had turned out not to work here and I lost all the credit I'd put on it. Can anyone in the know suggest something suitable? And how I can get such a card soon after landing?

Edited by peterbj7, 23 January 2011 - 10:53 PM.

#2 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:54 AM

Look forward to meeting you and hoisting a pint!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:05 AM

Hey Peter! I wish I was still in big D as I could help you out but we have so many awesome members in Dallas I'm sure someone will take pity on a car-less ex Brit Belizian needing help to get to internet access, an eyeglass store, Bank of America and several other places on your list! Stan works odd hours so without a driver's license you will be challenged. And he lives is very deep south Dallas where so few people use the internet the company tells him that it must be him since no one else has reported any problems.... :banghead:

Sadly people in his neighbor's line of work don't use the internet much to solicit business, acquire cars and other personal property and sell pharmaceuticals to the masses.

And I'm not sure he is near reliable public transport...I'm trying to find out. Stan works near the airport (I think in Arlington) but he has to leave the house at 11-11:30 am and he gets off work at 9pm.

Let me think on this some more... one good thing is I'll see you at the Texas Dive Show! :cool1:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

Peter, I would help, but will be on the other side of the globe by that date.

Have fun while in DFW--and stay away from Subway unless vetted by a local!

PPM

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:27 AM

John I told him that! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#6 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

I can't see that far in the future - but if I'm in town - I'll be at the airport - I'll keep you posted with my work schedule - I spend a good bit of time on the road.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#7 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

Thanks!

#8 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:13 AM

Can anyone help with advice on the phone SIM card? I just want a prepaid SIM card that I can use internationally, so I can prevent it from dying when I'm in Belize.

#9 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:06 PM

You should be able to buy one at any of the mobile carrier stores around Dallas (and possibly in the airport but I haven't been through there in a while). I haven't purchased just a sim card either but googling it shows all of the major US carriers sell them (Verzon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint).

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#10 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

After spending HOURS on the internet trying to find what service providers exist and what each offers, it seems to me that an AT&T prepaid service is best for me. But I have two residual questions that I cannot find answers to on their site:-

(1) they charge me $2/day of usage, and I can top up in various ways and by various amounts. But how do I get the SIM card in the first place and is there a charge for the card or for activating it?

(2) Is there an AT&T shop inside DFW airport, so I can buy the card and start the service as soon as I arrive?

#11 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

I now have a phone SIM card that will work in the US. Still no driver's licence though :tears:

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

Thank you Butch!

I guess we need to add one more place to his list of stops! kamala

formerly...

#13 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

The phone card issue is solved, thank you. Still haven't found my drivers' licence though.....

On my return journey to Belize via Cancun I've decided to make a couple of excursions. A couple of nights at Chichen Itza, magnificent Mayan ruins that I've never so far visited. I'll be staying right in the ruins themselves so am really looking forward to that. Then I'll stop for a couple of nights at Tulum, down the coast from Playa del Carmen in Mexico. I'll only have one complete day there and want to see the ruins, but I'm wondering if anyone who has dived there can recommend it? If so, why? And what dive center would you recommend?

#14 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

If anyone's going to be in the DFW airport area any time around 5pm on Wednesday 16th February I'll be grateful for a lift - anywhere! I'm scheduled to land at 4:10pm, and I reckon your nice Immigration people will want my company for most of an hour.

So far so good. As of today I am not leaving DFW next week - so will meet you outside immigration - there's only one way out.

Where do you need to go from the airport? Just want to let SWMBO know how late I'll be so I don't get perforated coming in the door. 00 Buck really stings....

What flight are you on?
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#15 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

MANY thanks Jack!!! I'll PM you my various details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users