• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

next trip to ????

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scrappykidz

scrappykidz

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Board Status:back on the short bus...
  • Cert Level:AOW - new diver
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

So back from my trip to Costa Rica, getting a bit bored and beginning to look around for my next trip...

Settling on a round-the-world freighter cruise (general cargo, not container) with a 6 month to year break in Singapore/Thailand/Indonesia/Malaysia. This is not a hand waving exercise, I have an exit stategy mapped out for work and am getting ready to put down some deposits...

SO... interested in any ideas or advice, must sees/do etc???

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,647 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

You could start this April in Truk then go to Palau and keep going! I know this great group that has a few spots left and is LOADS of fun to travel with! ;)

But seriously...this group has tons of experience in diving the part of the world you want to dive and can make some great suggestions.

If your focus is diving then stick with indonesia and perhaps part of the South Pacific. If you want to sightsee etc then the other destinations will come into play.

Some of the most amazing diving in the world is in Indonesia and I would/will go back in a heartbeat! Thailand is good but about a 2 or 3 compared to Indonesia for variety, diversity, and overall WOW factor. And Indonesia spans a huge diving mecca so you can spend all your time in that area and not tire of it or the diving.

For bang for the buck Thailand is good but many parts are overdove. Indonesia is great. Fiji is great.

Give us better insight on what you want to accomplish and we can give better suggestions. ALSO SD can book anything you find cheaper for you! So saving money on a trip this big will come in handy!

If you want SD to book this trip or part of the trip for you we'll move this to our I Need An SD Buddy forum and help see if we can get members to join you for part or all of your sojourn!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

So back from my trip to Costa Rica, getting a bit bored and beginning to look around for my next trip...

Settling on a round-the-world freighter cruise (general cargo, not container) with a 6 month to year break in Singapore/Thailand/Indonesia/Malaysia. This is not a hand waving exercise, I have an exit stategy mapped out for work and am getting ready to put down some deposits...

SO... interested in any ideas or advice, must sees/do etc???

Dive with me 2 resorts, 2 islands, 2 weeks Fiji April 16 - 30! I'm already booked so the bures are available.

#4 scrappykidz

scrappykidz

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

TexasDiver - too soon for me... But ty for the heads up - Have a blast!

#5 scrappykidz

scrappykidz

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

Kamala...

If Truk & Palau were next year or if I could get out this year, I would go in a heartbeat. As I get closer to the trip and things firm up, I will keep you posted. Maybe you can plan a SD trip to Indonesia for Fall of 2012 ;)

More info...

I am working on my "early retirement" - or take a year + and blow through some cash - however you want to look at it...

I finish my History degree next May and want to take a bit of a break before I start teaching western civ to a bunch of punk @ss kids in BF community college.

So I am looking to book 1/2 of an around the world freighter cruise... only 1/2 because I think I want to get off in Singapore and spend some time in SE Asia. Not willing to book the homebound leg, because I have no idea when I am coming back...

The "to do" list so far is...
2-4months volunteer work - into Northern Thailand but may split it up and do a couple of months in Thailand then Cambodia or Vietnam
Pick up a CELTA cert (International House in Phuket Thailand)
Might get a Dive Instructor tag while I am there
1 year of teaching English in Thailand... followed by????

Pretty open plan, but I am looking into the diving and getting a bit overwelmed. If I do the CELTA in Phuket... I know I will dive there.
Definitely plan on heading down to Indonesia and diving. Would not mind heading further southeast and the Marshalls and Solomons are definitely on the list of places I would like to go.

Anyway - after I get off the ship in Singapore I will be looking to do some diving - all mixed in with the rest of my list... so if anyone had any thoughts on must do's or experience in the area, I am all ears.

A bit more at el gato muerto on blogspot

Edited by scrappykidz, 16 February 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#6 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:08 PM

I'm with Kamala, INDONESIA!!! I went on the Oct. 2008 SD trip to Bali & Wakatobi, then booked an additional 2 weeks in Raja Ampat, and I don't think I even covered the head of the pin. Unfortunately, a work injury kept me from going on last year's Manado-Lembeh trip, but I'll make it there soon.
There are many other SD'ers who've made trips to Indonesia, I'm sure they will weigh in on some of their favorite spots. I believe Scuba Schaffer(sp?) just left for Raja Ampat in the last day or two, maybe he'll give us a trip report when he returns.
It sounds like you're planning to be gone for more than a year. Good luck, & stay safe.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users