• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Costa Rica

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:30 AM

Let's get Costa Rica on the calendar in either 2012 or 2013. If you have experience with diving here let us know. If you have been researching diving here...let us know.

There are great topside activities so wonderful for the non-diver. Some times of the year the vis is not good... 30ft or so.

Its also known for hammerheads and mantas...

So let us know what you think and who you'd like us to dive with if we go!

Interested List

1. Erica aka TXAggieDiver
2. Steve aka Soonerdiver

Edited by scubaclint, 07 April 2011 - 11:13 AM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:51 AM

No interest in Costa Rica?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:01 AM

I've seen programs on TV about the diving in Costa Rica, and it looks like it's beyond my comfort level.....for now, anyway.
Posted Image

#4 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:we're supposed to track of that @#!$ ?

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:41 AM

I'm interested in Costa Rica but I've never been. I did a little research and for the place that kept popping up in my search the $$$ was great, very affordable.

Edited by TXAggieDiver, 06 April 2011 - 07:42 AM.

Make sure you never run out of Erica!

#5 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:52 AM

Okay this might not be everyone's cup of tea but being a biologist and nature lover this resort looks awesome. Aguila de Osa Inn. Has anyone stayed here before? Judging by the size of theplace it looks like we could fill the entire place. Here's an excerpt from their website...

"Aguila de Osa Inn is located in Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula, situated on a high bluff overlooking the Aguitas river with panoramic views of Drake Bay. Reaching out into the Pacific Ocean along the southwest coast, the Osa was once described by National Geographic as one of the most biologically intense places on earth. Encompassing Corcovado National Park and Caño Island, two of Costa Rica's most prized protected areas, the Osa Peninsula is a priceless natural treasure with an abundance of tropical plants, mammals, insects and over 350 species of birds.

No other region of Costa Rica offers the visitor a more pristine, virgin environment to discover. The Aguila de Osa Inn offers visitors to the region a comfortable and private refuge from which to explore the magic and beauty of mother nature in all her glory and complexity.

Aguila de Osa Inn comes complete with 2 suites and 11 deluxe rooms, all of which are nestled neatly into the surrounding hillside. Hardly visible from a distance, our rooms are separated into three distinct clusters, each offering spectacular views of the lush, tropical jungle that surrounds the hotel. Resting high above the water's edge, the rooms are open and spacious; with mesh windows to ensure a tropical breeze to pass through your room.

All rooms feature large Italian tiled bathrooms, cathedral style ceilings, hot water, ceiling fans, 24 hour electricity, hand crafted decor, in addition to drinkable well water that is UV treated with a micro-filtered system.

Your dining experience will be set in a tropical atmosphere with ocean views. Our newly remodeled open-air restaurant, with seating for 36, serves as the ideal setting. Custom hand made furniture, using a variety of differnet local hard woods, have been crafted to ensure comfortable seating in an elegant surrounding.

Our distinctive, gourmet cuisine is created with a uniquely tropical flair; fresh seafood from our boats, pasta, sushi, vegetables and luscious tropical fruits, prepared with simplicity and originality. Guests will appreciate our attention to detail and commitment to friendly service.

Edited by TXAggieDiver, 06 April 2011 - 08:32 AM.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

I understand that Oct/Nov is right after rainy season so would be a good time to travel.

formerly...

#7 soonerdiver

soonerdiver

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveMaster
  • Logged Dives:Several hundred, thousands un-logged.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

I'm interested, but 2012 or 2013 would depend on what happens with Maldives and Hobox if you are offering them next year or not.

#8 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

I understand that Oct/Nov is right after rainy season so would be a good time to travel.

That's a good time if your still looking at the Maldives earlier in 2012, like April/May. Is that the loose plan? :teeth:

The further they are spaced the better for my pocketbook and my vacation time :cool2:

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

I've been told the areas of Playa Hermosa/Playa del Cocos or Playa Octel are the best. And the option to dive Catalina and Bat islands is a must people say.

formerly...

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:36 PM

Yes Maldives is for sure April/May timeframe in 2012.

Holbox is on the radar for June/July/Aug timeframe (will see how it firms into the schedule and if people want to do it in 2012. I have set up a separate discussion topic for it).

formerly...

#11 Handyman

Handyman

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cert Level:Advance open water w/specialties
  • Logged Dives:192

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

I did two dives off Cano Island in 2005, end of October. One was 'Shipwreck' and the other was 'The Anchor' with a Swiss divemaster fm a local resort/hostel/campground. Viz was poor both dives, no better than 10 meters, and it was surprizingly cold. She was taking the other diver, a referral, for his open water dives, so that may have been a factor in what we dove. Compared to Belize, there wasn't much to see, so I had a mediocre experience. YMMV. It is also a very isolated part of the country. The Corcorvado national park was very interesting, being my first experience with a tropical jungle. Hire a guide if you go, they are affordable and informative, and they will help you see all the different things you might overlook. If you do go to Costa Rica, I'd recommend spending a night or more in La Fortuna to see the Arenal Volcano, which has been erupting pretty much daily since 1968. It puffs and farts and belches throughout the day, and in the evenings it has streams of bright orange lava trickeling down from the caldera.

I'm heading back to Costa Rica to visit the Volcano in a couple of weeks.

Scot

#12 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Please put me on the Interested List for Costa Rica!

When I return to Costa Rica this July 2011 for three weeks, I think it will be my 9th or 10th trip. It's a BEAUTIFUL place to visit for any reason, in any season.
Since I always stay with my Tico friends (locals call themselves Ticos), I don't have any recommendations for hotels or resorts. However, there are hundreds to choose from!
If we are traveling, one of my friends always 'knows' someone so we stay free at someone's house or we just stay at the local building that is sort of used as a fire station.
If we are near San Jose and find a place to dive, then we just use the dive gear from the main fire station, otherwise we rent gear from whichever dive shop we dive with that day.

Playa Ocotal is a big resort area (west coast of CR), lots of choices for lodging or diving, plus food & other activities. Visibility (in 2009) was about 30ft /- most days, better at night.

I doubt if anyone would want to hear about the lakes, ponds and rivers we also dove in around CR, but most were a bit chilly and had better viz.

I'd like to dive at Playas del Coco on this trip, but not sure what my friends have planned. They know I will go diving with or without them, so they usually plan at least one dive trip for us.

Generic dive info on Costa Rica
http://www.govisitco...ngCompanies.asp

http://www.divingmania.net/ (website is Spanish only) Is one of the better dive shops in San Jose, and a Scubapro dealer.

Going on a liveaboard trip to Isla de Cocos (Cocos Island) from Costa Rica is on my "To Do" list. It would be EXCELLENT if SD would organize a liveaboard dive trip here!!

Edited by Resqdew, 12 April 2011 - 11:29 AM.

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:41 PM

Cocos is on the list of things to do! Just never sure of the timing...maybe people are ready now?

Thanks for the info...we can certainly use it to help plan out a trip here!

Any ideas on when vis is BEST?

formerly...

#14 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

I did a family trip to Costa Rica a few years back. We rented a house near Manual Antonio Park. My sister and I took one day to do a bit of diving out of Quapos. We were both disappointed in the diving there. I did want to dive around Cano Island, but that was not reasonable during that trip, as it would have been a couple day trip to do, and I was on a family vacation. I found Costa Rica to be a beautiful country, and I do plan to go back, but the appeal for me was much more topside than below the water. Ed

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:27 AM

Thank you Ed. What time of year did you go? Was the vis bad or something else with the diving near Quapos?

Is the diving at Cano Island supposed to be better?

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users