• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

News forum

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 24 September 2004 - 08:54 AM

eliminating the password altogether would cost, hmmmm...let's see....ZIP, i believe.

I doubt that? Hey, Walter - you know how much it would cost to make News forum a opt-in without a passwrod?

OKay, so maybe some people do have to log out, then back on. How hard could it be to type NEWS?

Diverlady's points are well presented.

I've heard from some who are confused. Hey Walter - what are we voting on exactly?

(1) Whether to have a News forum or not?

(2) Whether to have a News forum so that the titles always show on View New Posts to everyone?

(3) I thought it was whether to keep the Password opt-in for News, as that was free, and software to opt-in once cost money?

Edited by DandyDon, 24 September 2004 - 08:55 AM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 24 September 2004 - 09:15 AM

Don,

You are not voting on anything.

Members want news, we will continue to have it. I don't believe anyone is against having news in its own forum. The issue is assessability.

Some folks don't want to see it. A one time opt in option would be ideal. We are researching the possibility. If we can find a way to do it that fits with the current program, we'll do so. That's the best solution and keeps everyone happy.

Until such time as we can get at opt in option, we will either decide to keep the password or decide to eliminate the password. Either option will not sit well with some folks.

Right now, I'm gathering information about why people like one option over the other. Early next week, ZD, Kamala & I will make a decision based on your input. In no way should you think you are voting, you are not.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 24 September 2004 - 09:41 AM

A quick update.

There is an opt in option available in the next upgrade. We will likely be getting the upgrade prior to the New Year anyway because it has additional options we want to provide to you.

The drawbacks are there are additional fees for purchasing the upgrade, the licensing fee increases and it will take a great deal of ZD's time to get it installed and the bugs worked out.

Within the next three months, it's likely this debate will become moot. The bad news is it's not something we can impliment immediately. We will be looking at our options for getting the upgrade on line as soon as possible.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#19 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:03 AM

I would rather the news be opt-in or behind a password. Since the opt-in is not available yet, I think that the password is a good compromise too.

#20 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:15 AM

DL, I couldn't have expressed my view more concisely or eloquently than you did. Thank you.

TF, as much as I love ya, I think you're out of line. Judgement of people and how they may or may not view the world is not yours to make. Your proclamation that if they don't like it they should go to a Disney site leaves me shaking my head in amazement. Your decision that if people don't like the news they should choose to skip over it is no more valid than my or anyone else's decision that you should choose to type four simple keystrokes. We are not required to change our behavior for your convenience by your decree any more than the converse. I've known you for a little while now and this autocratic attitude seems very out of character for you. I know you've been under a lot of stress lately and I'm sorry for that and I do take that into consideration.

At the end of the day, none of us are entitled to anything. We are paying customers and should feel fortunate that Kamala, Walter, et al, even care enough to let us voice our opinions on this. This site is their project, not ours. They have the right to set the rules and we have the choice to live by them or go somewhere else. Yes, this is an adult site. But this is their adult site and they have many factions of customers to satisfy - not just the loudest and most sarcastic. I suspect this issue would not even have come up had there not been some of the less vocal people who requested some sort of accomodation.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#21 mvillanueva

mvillanueva

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI. Varied diving to date: Freshwater wells, Catalina, Oahu, and Kona. And one night dive
  • Logged Dives:32!

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:20 AM

Walter

I think it was maxdvr -- and if not he, then apologies -- but someone recently posted commenting on a major shift in content on the board away from diving to other non-diving related topics over the last 4 months. If what he said was true, then I think that was a pretty siginifcant observation.

Seems to me you folks have to decide which direction you want to go, and more importantly, how you want the board to look one year from now.

My advice would be to drop the news debate and ask yourself how do you want SD to look a year, two years, or three years from now. Based on that vision, look back to now and see what here fits in with that vision -- if the news fits, keep it, if not do something about it. If photoshops, jokes, movies, and songs littered everywhere, fit in, then keep them. If not, do something about them.

Everything we do now informs the future.

As Henry Kissinger said "If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you there."

While I can personally ask the question about the news in jail, the bigger question my question ought to engender in you is "Where do we want SD to be in 4 years?"

Answer that question first, and the news debate, by proxy will be ended.

Edited by mvillanueva, 24 September 2004 - 10:23 AM.

Cap'n Lobo Stripper the Peglegless

#22 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:21 AM

I've been sitting back and 'listening' to this debate...and I've read very eloquent arguments/opinions from both 'sides' of the issue. I'm still at a loss for figuring out why this is a big deal.

There are so many more important things in my life to worry about...
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#23 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 24 September 2004 - 12:06 PM

I have to agree with DL. This is my place to come, relax and hang out with folks and talks about diving. Making the "news" section an opt-in or password is my preference.

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#24 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 24 September 2004 - 12:43 PM

jamie...
point taken.

#25 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 24 September 2004 - 01:36 PM

I agree with Fingrabber and Scottmcr1999 about keeping the password. I choose to be very selective about what I read, listen to, and watch on TV, because I find it challenging to stay a positive person in a negative world. IMHO, too much of the mainstream news we are exposed to, including scuba news, is gratutious, sensationalized, negative crap that doesn't inform, expand or enrich us. But because it sells, it continues to be put out there.

I would prefer not to have a news forum at all, but, since some people enjoy having one, that's fine. But I would prefer that it stay password protected for now, or "opt in" if that becomes available later.

As No Pressure puts it, diving is better than drugs or therapy. Well, to me, this board is part of that. I come here to escape from the stress and negativity of everday life, just as I dive for the same reason. But I am also a big fan of free speech, which is why I feel that a password/opt in is a fair compromise for all.

I could not believe it when a few people accused us (some rather rudely) of having some kind of heavy-handed conspiracy, when in fact, it was quite the opposite. Kamala, Walter, Adam and the rest of us were trying to satisfy as many people as possible, which, believe me, is no easy task.

Some people are more sensitive than others, and are more affected by the negative events in the news today. These people (and yes I am one of them) NEED to filter out some of that negative energy, or else they will be overwhelmed and depressed by it.

I think it's a damn shame that someone would resort to making a personal attack on someone's character, or diving abilities, because of this. The people who are protesting about their rights being taken away need to realize that rest of us have a right, too....the right NOT to be judged just because our preferences happen to be different than yours.

So, in the spirit of compromise, I ask you- is it THAT BIG OF A DEAL to make 4 simple keystrokes, so that everyonce gets what they want?

I am appalled at some of the rudeness, immaturity and mean-spirited intolerance that I have seen displayed over this whole issue, ESPECIALLY when we were attempting to come up with a way to please everyone.

Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#26 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:18 PM

YOU GO GIRL!!!! :birthday:
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#27 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:DM, Adv Nitrox, Deco
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:23 PM

I like having the news -- (if diving related !!!)
...as long as the titles of the topics are descriptive I can decide whether to open or not

if I need to opt in or put in a password - doesn't matter to me...as long as I see the topic titles when I hit "View New Posts" (as I rarely navigate around the board searching for stuff)

#28 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:00 PM

I am appalled at some of the rudeness, immaturity and mean-spirited intolerance that I have seen displayed over this whole issue, ESPECIALLY when we were attempting to come up with a way to please everyone.

In volunteer work, no good deed goes unpunished. You just have to get enough good with the bad. :birthday:

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#29 mvillanueva

mvillanueva

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI. Varied diving to date: Freshwater wells, Catalina, Oahu, and Kona. And one night dive
  • Logged Dives:32!

Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:32 PM

And the tone of your post is honestly any different?
Cap'n Lobo Stripper the Peglegless

#30 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:50 PM

And the tone of your post is honestly any different?

I'd certainly say so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users