• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Anilao Phillipines

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:45 PM

I just returned last night from a fabulous trip to Anilao, Philippines. I stayed at the Crystal Blue resort for 10 nights and did 36 dives. Anilao has a wide variety of diving from some of the best muck diving in the world to stunning coral gardens, mini walls, drift dives and some dives with a combination of muck and reef.
The trip started with a very long travel day. Flight to Seattle, then an 11 hour flight to Seoul Korea, another 4hr and 40 minute flight to Manila. Top that off with a 3 hour van ride to the resort. Got checked in and then did my first two dives. One of the reasons that I went on this trip was that it was an underwater photography workshop and I learned a lot and really improved my photography. The resort was very nice. On small side with 12 rooms, a restaurant, bar, camera room and dive op. The dive op was very well outfitted for divers with separate rinse tanks for dive gear and photo equipment. They dive boats are bancas, sort of like a large canoe with outriggers. Very stable, fast and efficient. Due to the small size there were only 4 divers on a boat which was perfect. Food was fresh and plenty of it and the offering at the bar was good and very inexpensive. The local rum costs about $1.70 for a 750ml bottle and beer is about $1.

With 36 dives there were too many to list but some of my favorites were the muck dives where I got to see and photograph Mimic Octopi, ornate ghost pipe fish, pygmy cuttle fish, the elusive flamboyant cuttle fish, mantis shrimp, frog fish, wonderpus Octopus, oscillating octopus, to many varities of nudibranchs to list.

On the reef dives we saw some enormous frog fish. I have never seen them so big. the largest one, a grey was about 14 inches long and about 10 inches tall from pec fins to the top of its head. The abundance of sea life in this area is amazing. Not a lot of big stuff as the locals fish for their meals and unfortunately their is a lot of commercial fishing in the area. But the small to medium size fish are abundant. Interesting thing, there are lion fish everywhere. So many of them that you had to be careful when taking pictures. This would raise the question of how damaging they really are to the reef system. I asked the local dive masters what killed the lion fish and they said that the Octopus and the eels would hunt them but there were no large fish that eat them. The locals also spear them and eat them.

The weather was warm and muggy, a minor typhoon blue threw one night and really blew up the seas with wind and rain but it only stopped us from doing one dive.

Of the four divers on my boat, three of us were pretty good on air so our dives averaged 70 to 75 minutes with a couple of 80 minute and one 102minute dive. We were all carrying cameras and working on our photography skills so our dives were shortened abit.

I would highly recommend a trip to the Philippines. The diversity of marine life is amazing. The people are friendly and it is an interesting cultural experience as well. Probably the only negative is the fact that like many of the countries in that part of the world, enviornmental causes are rare and there is a lot of garbage on the shores and in some cases on the reef. The local dive resorts are trying to get this cleaned up. Hopefully they will succeed.

I would post some pictures but I am not a premium member so I do not have that option.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#2 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:58 AM

I just returned last night from a fabulous trip to Anilao, Philippines. I stayed at the Crystal Blue resort for 10 nights and did 36 dives. Anilao has a wide variety of diving from some of the best muck d

I would highly recommend a trip to the Philippines. The diversity of marine life is amazing. The people are friendly and it is an interesting cultural experience as well. Probably the only negative is the fact that like many of the countries in that part of the world, enviornmental causes are rare and there is a lot of garbage on the shores and in some cases on the reef. The local dive resorts are trying to get this cleaned up. Hopefully they will succeed.

I would post some pictures but I am not a premium member so I do not have that option.

Jim

Hi Jim.
Now that you have been here, it is necessary for you to join the "Don't tell too many people about Anilao" Club. :teeth:
This membership will help to allow you to book again in the future, as it is not a well known secret that Anilao is one of the best values for fabulous diving.

Shhhhhhh!
Glad you enjoyed your trip.
R

#3 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:31 PM

Thanks Robin,

I won't tell anyone else! :-)

Your right though... people do not know what they are missing.. I wish I could post some of my pictures.. I am debating on Lembeh or Thailand. What do you think?

Jim

Edited by Parrotman, 01 June 2011 - 10:31 PM.

Sea Turtle advocate!

#4 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:40 AM

Jim, Post some photos onto Flicka or Piscaro or Youtube and link to page. Sounds like a good trip.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#5 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:45 AM

Thanks Robin,

I won't tell anyone else! :-)

Your right though... people do not know what they are missing.. I wish I could post some of my pictures.. I am debating on Lembeh or Thailand. What do you think?

Jim

Both are good.
As for me, I am going to Amsterdam and Ghent, Belgium for the next 6 days. I leave today!

Then I will leave on June 15th on a trip that is RTW! I will dive in Anilao later this month, and Ambon and Komodo in July. Interspersed in there is a 13 day trip to Australia (not to dive, though) and several stops in Singapore and Bali. I finish it up with 2 days in Frankfurt. :teeth:

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

Jim, Post some photos onto Flicka or Piscaro or Youtube and link to page. Sounds like a good trip.

Of course he could just renew his premier membership too! ;)

We've missed him as a premier member! :respect:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

Sounds like you were attending Scott Gietler's photo workshop. Very cool.

#8 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

Sounds like you were attending Scott Gietler's photo workshop. Very cool.

Yes, I was at Scott's workshop. It was great. I learned a lot about photography. So of my pics were amazing. I even won a 2nd place in the portrait contest with my picture of a Mimic Ocotpus. Considering that all my pics looked like poo before the trip, that was quite an accomplishment.
Sea Turtle advocate!

#9 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

I loved my trip to the place that should remain unnamed - I seem to always end up with Air-Generating dive buddies so the run times were all long. My photo workshop consisted of daily coaching by Peri and whippings by SecretSea - but I also learned a lot so the pain was worth it.

It is a beautiful locale - very pleasant in Feb (90F daily highs) - and the bio-diversity is truly astonishing.

For the budget-minded diver who can snag a cheap or points-based airfare to Manila I can't think of anywhere better - $140/day all-inclusive for 4-5 dives, all meals and a room.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#10 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

I loved my trip to the place that should remain unnamed - I seem to always end up with Air-Generating dive buddies so the run times were all long. My photo workshop consisted of daily coaching by Peri and whippings by SecretSea - but I also learned a lot so the pain was worth it.

And you begged for more! In the end you learned your camera, and got magnificent images out of it!

#11 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:58 PM

I finally got an account set up so that I could share some of the pics from Anilao. Here are a few. This was my first attempt with a strobe and I am using a point and shoot camera. Most of these are macro.

https://picasaweb.go...CLLnv5f2kZDpxwE

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#12 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

I finally got an account set up so that I could share some of the pics from Anilao. Here are a few. This was my first attempt with a strobe and I am using a point and shoot camera. Most of these are macro.

https://picasaweb.go...CLLnv5f2kZDpxwE

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#13 soonerdiver

soonerdiver

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveMaster
  • Logged Dives:Several hundred, thousands un-logged.

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

Incredible pictures for a point and shoot camera. Looks like great diving, were you able to spot a lot of the critters yourself or did the guides know where everything was.

Definitely on my list of places to go.

#14 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

I found a lot of the critters and the guide found some as well. The flamboyant cuttle fish was my big find. I got pretty good a finding Mimic Octopi as well. There is so much to find there that it is actually difficult to go on a dive and not find something really cool.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#15 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:52 AM

The dive guide would point some things out, but the 4 of us that were diving together were great critter spotters ourselves, and shared our finds with each other (and later with the rest of the divers at the resort). You definitely need to keep your vision in 'macro mode' to see everything! In fact, in the case of the pygmy seahorse, I could hardly see it with my bare eyes, but the camera picked it up. The guide had to find that one for us!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users