• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Bermuda 2012

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:42 AM

Good Day,

Wenchie asked me to post a thread to see if there was any interest for diving in my neck of the woods at some point in 2012.

Posted Image

Bermuda is located 600 miles off the cost of South Carolina and is the Wreck Capital of the Atlantic. With 500 wrecks scattered around the island it is a Mecca for divers. With pink sand beaches and a series of interesting restaurants and destinations there is always something to do on the island.

Posted Image

I have lived here for three years and this 23 mile long "Rock" in the Atlantic is a great place to be. Monster swimthroughs, diverse sea-life, a thriving nightlife if you are into that sort of thing, or calm and laid back if you are not.

Posted Image

Many romantic sites and places of interest and you can use either busses or ferries to get there. Renting a scooter is for the truly brave. There are many historical and renovated forts dating from the 1600's to WW2. Ice blue water and many accessible caves.

Posted Image

Triangle Diving is a full service dive shop located on the Eastern part of the island at the Grotto Bay Resort offering NITROX and even Trimix for qualified divers (They just hosted a research cave diving expedition to 400 feet with rebreathers and tech mixes). They offer two boats (One recreational and one technical) and the most knowledgeable and qualified staff on the island. Dive video here and here.

Posted Image

...and yes there is shopping for those interested... Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey, you can see my house from here...! :D

Posted Image

So would you care to join me for a drink at some point in 2012? Let me know your thoughts. :teeth:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#2 scubajan

scubajan

Getting started

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

I am more interested in reef diving than wreck......how much of a variety of fish do you see diving? Corals? How does it compare with diving in the Caribbean?

Thanks!

Scubajan

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

So would you care to join me for a drink at some point in 2012? Let me know your thoughts. :teeth:

Hey, you've finally mastered time travel! 2010 wasn't the best year, and I want a do-over! :lmao: :respect:

Seriously, what are your water temps at various times of the year there?
Posted Image

#4 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

Hey, you've finally mastered time travel! 2010 wasn't the best year, and I want a do-over! :lmao: :respect:

Hmmm, not sure what your point is. ;)

ScubaJan - Typically the morning dives are a reef and a wreck. We have some of the healthiest reefs in the world here. Take a look on Google Earth satelitte and you will see the island is encircled with reefs (which explains the 500 wrecks). I won't pretend we have the same viz as the Bahamas (They have the Gulf Stream), but they do not have the volcanic underwater terrain of caves and caverns we have so it evens out. Sea life here is quite diverse with turtles, grouper, barracuda, octopus, seahorses and tons of little critters. :)
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

So what is viz oh "Mr Bermuda Man"???

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

VIZ is the slang term used by snorkelers and scuba divers for the linear distance one can see underwater at a given site and time--but that's not important right now.

We need to find someone who can lead this dive and do so safely, and DIDN'T have the shark fin soup for dinner.

PPM

Edited by PlatypusMan, 11 July 2011 - 01:29 PM.

#7 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

Viz, as with all things, depends on many things. If overcast and things have been stirred up by wind / waves then 40-60 feet. Last weekend we had 100+. Glorious. Usually the deeper into summer we go the worse it gets due to plankton. Dec / Jan are best, especially in deep water. However the water temp "plummets" to 65F then. The locals refuse to get in the water without semi-dry or dry suits. I wear a longer pair of swim trunks. hehehe

Water Temperature in Bermuda

#8 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

Hmmm, not sure what your point is. ;)

Nice save! :clapping:
Posted Image

#9 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

Well, Dr. Simon ,I'd say you hit the jackpot for me..I've been EYE balling this Island.YES :cheerleader: :wakawaka: !!!.How about late Oct orNovember..? On the tail end of fall & the begining of the better season for vis..I'd forego NC for this one.. Might even get the boss to go for this one..
If I remember there are some wrecks of Pirate ships...
Are the only direct flights from NY & Atlanta?

Edited by Greg@ihpil, 11 July 2011 - 03:29 PM.

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hey gang...we are checking on pricing now. Simon has a great lead on an awesome dive shop but hotels are VERY expensive as is food. So once we have a price point we can see if this is viable.

We'll also have to see what min numbers we need etc. For NC we need 18 which is a lot if you want to take the entire boat. In order to have a great experience you need the entire boat.

So now that we see there is some interest in Bermuda we'll see what pkg pricing would be.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users