• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

When doing a liveaboard.... Half Boat or Full Boat?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

When we opt to do a Liveaboard we've ALWAYS chosen for the most part to do a full boat. But with times tighter does it make sense to do only a half boat vs not offereing a liveaboard at all?

OR

Should we just ONLY choose boats where we can take the full boat AND keep it all SDer's?

We'd really appreciate your input! :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:38 AM

On the Grenada trip we shared the boat with some tourists out for the day. One of those guys was a walking accident. He tripped in his dive rig on deck and took out another person, he was swept away from the boat in strong current because he refused assistance and was snotty the entire trip. He had ten dives and knew it all.

Having been on three (one resort and two liveaboards), I like full SD trips. Typically you "know" most if not all of the folks from the thread discussion beforehand and it is usually a more mature crowd. The people on the trips are usually better qualified and confident in the water. Even the ones who say they are nervous are better than most I have met elsewhere. That advance contact makes for a faster "mesh" for people on the trips. I have always come away from SD trips with a smile and many friends.

That is my 2 psi anyway. Posted Image
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:45 AM

I basically agree with Simon....if they are part of our group, there are better controls. If they don't belong to our group, it's difficult to pull them aside and have "the talk" and get positive results.

On the flip side, there are a lot of great people out there who do not belong to SD.com, and I've seen the Wench pull them into our group while on a resort-based trip. Resort-based is vastly different from liveaboard, though. Just can't get away from the idiots while on a boat....
Posted Image

#4 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

On the one hand - it is good to be with folks who are known quantities - on the other it would not be fair to miss a great trip.

My only worry would be if we were 50%, and the boat couldn't recruit the rest - would the trip get scrubbed?
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#5 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

To me, the best option is a full SD boat. That gives you great diving, with a boat full of people that you know to some extent. Of course, there are a lot of trips that I would love to take, that Kamala might not be able to fill up. Going on one of those trips with 6-12 other Single Divers is a far better option than going on those trips alone. That said, I vote for the half boat option as a positive. It is not replacing the full charters I would figure, so it can add to the choices. Ed

• Guests

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

On the one hand - it is good to be with folks who are known quantities - on the other it would not be fair to miss a great trip.

My only worry would be if we were 50%, and the boat couldn't recruit the rest - would the trip get scrubbed?

I asked the EV people that and they say they have gone out with only 2 guests for a week before. With the economy the way it is they may not be able to avoid that scenario.

#7 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

I really liked the liveaboards that I have done, one with a full SD boat and one that was not. I liked them both and did not have a problem with anyone on either boat. But then, I've only done two liveaboards... my 2 pennies

• Guests

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

I've done 4 or 5. Liveaboard divers seem better in my opinion that land based divers in general. Their skills are better and they seemed more reasonable for the most part. Partiers don't want to get stuck on a boat. I'm not sure it matters much.

#9 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

Kamala,
Since I am a true outsider on this subject,but offering only a opinion.I think all above comments have validity.I would rather have a glass half full than none.....Better to hang out with the "RIGHT"group,than to be without....Another adage of "You can't please all the people all the time"....
My .01 worth

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users