• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

When someone says WHAT IS SINGLEDIVERS.COM?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,726 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

And we have "Sleep Together" discounts for couples when I have a room with only 1 bed and it has to have 2 people in it!

Yes we should say we cater to single, married-but-the-spouse-does-not-dive, solo and buddyless divers!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

I tell people it's about finding someone to dive with and going on dive vacations to great locations where even if you don't know anyone there are no clicks where you're made to feel leftout or outright shunned. Everyone is included in everything and encouraged to participate. But if you come on vacation to find piece and quiet and some solitude that's on tap too.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#18 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:12 AM

It's a fantastic diving resource, with a number of outstanding trips and social events, as well as a great source of information about diving. :respect:

Rick

:usflag:

#19 drifter

drifter

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:23 AM

We've been paired with someone on the last 3 trips that has been traveling solo because they couldn't find someone to go diving with. Having done that myself, I have recommended they check out singledivers, and always get "that look" because the name does tend to convey something different (or perhaps it's just me that gets the odd looks). But after I explain that it's a group for people that love to dive but can't find others to go with and that it is decidedly NOT about finding a significant other, they are more intrigued. I don't know that any of them have actually joined the site, but they do at least act interested when talking about it (again, that might just be their way of getting me to shut up :) ).

I do agree that if you REALLY wanted to have single divers go viral yet maintain the type/quality of community we currently have, a name change would have to at least be considered, because I do think you loose some prospective members who make a judgement based solely on the name.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
"Not all those who wander are lost."
~JRR Tolkien

#20 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

...... members who make a judgement based solely on the name.

You only have to look at the number of people who visit once, sign up for regular membership so they can try to scope profiles, and then never come back to visit again to know that many people who do find us are googling the word 'single'..... :P
Posted Image

#21 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

Fix you click on the forum tab and see probably a new member photo of himself , you certainly will think this is a dating site!!!
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#22 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

Fix you click on the forum tab and see probably a new member photo of himself , you certainly will think this is a dating site!!!

Those photos reflect the last photos uploaded to the site, and change any time someone uploads. You want the pictures to change, just upload some pics from your last trip!
Posted Image

• Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

This just confirms the thought that this a dating site at first glance. In the case I think you are referring to, that particular member joined on July 29 and all one needs to do is go to his profile and notice two things.
1) he has not made a single post , and
2) his friends list is quite impressive for one week's work and entirely female best I can tell. I know many of these people and I am betting they don't know they have been tagged there.

He can be forgiven for thinking it's a dating site though, that would be the obvious thing to think. I've seen the same thing at dive shows, girlfriends and wives won't even let their guys come to the SD booth. I have seen men physically yanked away from the SD booth by an unhappy SO more than once.

Yes, sadly the name is a problem that should be dealt with but at this point it is a brand. Changing it on the site is actually easy, singledivers.com can just be redirected to the new domain and all will be well. All the small business changes behind the scenes are more difficult. I am knee deep in small business laws myself so I sort of understand some inertia in wanting to keep it. Not to mention business cards, banners, t-shirts, stickers, and other marketing items that will just be thrown away if it does change. But it DOES need to be done.

#24 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:11 PM

I agree with everything that has been said so far regarding the name. When people ask me about who I go on dive trips with I typically answer by saying I'm a member of an Internet based dive club. I will only reveal the name if someone asks additional questions. Personally I want to avoid comments about being part of a "dot com" singles group. While I understand the importance of marketing and advertising a brand, since my masters is in marketing, I also think there could be so much more potential for growing this organization by having a different name. It might have a high up front cost, but it could pay off for all of us in the long run.
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

• Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

I agree with everything that has been said so far regarding the name. When people ask me about who I go on dive trips with I typically answer by saying I'm a member of an Internet based dive club. I will only reveal the name if someone asks additional questions. Personally I want to avoid comments about being part of a "dot com" singles group. While I understand the importance of marketing and advertising a brand, since my masters is in marketing, I also think there could be so much more potential for growing this organization by having a different name. It might have a high up front cost, but it could pay off for all of us in the long run.

I never tell people either. I just them its an internet group with several thousand members.

#26 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:06 PM

I was reading the reponses & :idea: ..What if......it were Solo-divers.You've still kept the single status,but made it relative to a"Diving issue"....????
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#27 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

Sorry Greg but that would not work. Solo Divers would be for people who don't want a buddy.

#28 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:39 AM

Sorry Greg but that would not work. Solo Divers would be for people who don't want a buddy.

Ok,Slept on that...:diver: :diver: "Buddydivers".. Named after our Mascot..

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users