• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The Importance of a Backup Knife

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

The knife I use is here: http://northeastscub.../prod_2192.html

I like it because its sharp, serrated, stainless steel, and most importantly: it costs $10.

Personally, I like 'dirt cheap' knives best. If you drop a $10 knife 30 feet its no big deal, but if you drop the $100 dollar knife 30 feet, chances are you'll want to go get it.

I tend to agree. I'd rather have a cheap knife that I need to replace if it lasts that long but won't feel bad if I lose it like my photo stick. If I buy a $10 knife every year, I will have the equivelent of a $100 knife if it last 10 years...

#17 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:1
  • Logged Dives:-1

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

I like it because its sharp, serrated, stainless steel, and most importantly: it costs $10.

Personally, I like 'dirt cheap' knives best. If you drop a $10 knife 30 feet its no big deal, but if you drop the $100 dollar knife 30 feet, chances are you'll want to go get it.

I tend to agree. I'd rather have a cheap knife that I need to replace if it lasts that long but won't feel bad if I lose it like my photo stick. If I buy a $10 knife every year, I will have the equivelent of a $100 knife if it last 10 years...

Just FYI, I've had this for 2, and unless I drop it I'll probably have it for longer. So technically, I'm ahead.

#18 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:05 PM

Just FYI, I've had this for 2, and unless I drop it I'll probably have it for longer. So technically, I'm ahead.

My OW instructor talked about that his cheap knives last forever, but as soon as he would by a new titanium knife, he would lose it on the next dive. As long as you keep it clean and sharp, I've had my cheap knife for 4 years now. I only dive with it every time, but its still a part of my kit in case I do. I know that places like the marine park in Cozumel forbid them.

#19 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:40 PM

They forbid knives? Why?

#20 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:18 AM

They forbid knives? Why?

No knives or gloves are allowed in the marine park in an attempt to reduce damage to the reef.

#21 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

No DM in CZM has ever berated me for diving w/knife, and mine is highly visable. FWIW
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#22 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:06 AM

They forbid knives? Why?

No knives or gloves are allowed in the marine park in an attempt to reduce damage to the reef.

Gloves yes, we ban them here, but why knives?

#23 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

Probably because some people do not use them the way they are intended...

Posted Image
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#24 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

Having experienced a few failures, I'm in the overkill class. I have an OMS COMPACT TITANIUM LINE CUTTER (plug) in my right chest harness area, I can get at it with either hand. I also carry an EMT Scissor in my pouch on my right thigh - not as easily accessible, but possible. Great for cutting through someone else's webbing or fishing line. For sharks* and male equipment morale I have a 20" saber on my left calf. Size matters. It's not really 20", but if the ladies believe 4 = 6 then I'm allowed some latitude. Seriously - the calf knife is an old holdover from early days and still mandated in the USN Dive Manual as part of your minimum kit.

* Sharks are not deterred or even impressed by the knife. However, since I'm old, I plan to hamstring my buddy, allowing me time to get further away.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#25 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:54 PM

Probably because some people do not use them the way they are intended...

Posted Image

Simon -

Just remember the rhyme from your childhood:
"Fool's names and fool's faces often appear in public places..."

UP Diver aka Jim
:P
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#26 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:03 AM

The last time I bought a knife was in 1969... it was a "Jim Bowie" so I could ward off the great whites in our waters (yeah, right). Of course I have found many knives over the decades and have a collection, but don't use them normally. I greatly prefer shears that are attached to my BCD within easy arm's reach. Not only are they easy to extricate from the holster with one hand, the are much safer to hold without concern for dropping them as with a knife. Of course their cutting power compared to a sharp knife is a potential downside.

Given that I dive mostly in kelp, I wouldn't carry a knife on my calf due to potential entanglement problems. I do occasionally carry a small knife on my BCD. Most of the cutting I might encounter is of monofilament fishing line rather than stouter stuff.

#27 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

I wouldn't carry a knife on my calf due to potential entanglement problems.

Secret is to have it on the inside on your leg. Never had an issue there.
  • Capn Jack likes this
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#28 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

I wouldn't carry a knife on my calf due to potential entanglement problems.

Secret is to have it on the inside on your leg. Never had an issue there.

I mentioned my calf "saber" but didn't mention the inside part - absolutely right. So far, no problems.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#29 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

I carry two blount modified steak knives on my waist webbing. One on each side. i also carry a titanium lockback zip tied to a brass dog bone. i move that one around just depending.

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,724 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

I carry two blount modified steak knives on my waist webbing. One on each side. i also carry a titanium lockback zip tied to a brass dog bone. i move that one around just depending.

Hey Steve...its great to see you! :teeth:

So any chance of a picture of your handiwork? And what is a 'lockback'?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users