• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Do you work from home?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:51 PM

Recently I have been given the opportunity to work from home. My same job but through a virtual desktop be able to have access to everything at home. I am having mixed feelings about it. Yes it would be nice to not have to commute but also I can see feeling very isolated.

I was wondering how many of my SD friends work from home? Is it the best thing ever? or would you rather you didn't?

Thanks.

Clint

#2 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Recently I have been given the opportunity to work from home. My same job but through a virtual desktop be able to have access to everything at home. I am having mixed feelings about it. Yes it would be nice to not have to commute but also I can see feeling very isolated.

I was wondering how many of my SD friends work from home? Is it the best thing ever? or would you rather you didn't?

Thanks.

Clint

Clint, I just got back to working in an office after my last three jobs were WFH. I have to say, it has been an interesting experience. I was NOT happy about having to go into an office, the commute is about 45 minutes each way, and I HATE traffic. But when I worked from home I always said that it just meant I had more time to work (when I wasn't sitting in traffic) and that really was true. I still get up at 6:00 am - only now I get to work at 9 instead of starting slowly at 630 and really ratcheting it up by 7. And I still have to commute home at the end of the day.

I really thought going in to work would make me nuts but I actually am enjoying being around people and interacting. Now that I'm not, I think it was kind of isolating to WFH, although I wouldn't have thought so at the time. Especially considering that most of my day was spent on the phone even when I was WFH!

I guess my short answer is- I am surprising myself by saying, I am actually enjoying being in an office and I'm not sure whether I'd choose to WFH if it were an option, esp. if it were every day. I'm curious as to other's opinions.
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,678 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

To work from home you must be very disciplined and really work. As Kate said...put the time in that you would have spent commuting and don't hang out too much on cool sites like SingleDivers.com! ;)

Aside from being disciplined you need to ensure that you do not have many distractions at home. If you do then stay at the office.

If you have an active social life and can really benefit from some 'quieter work time' then working from home is great. It was for me. Too many people in the office always left me working late to get things done. When I was by myself...I could more easily do them. Talking on the phone gave me lots of social interaction and going to the office at least 1 day or so a week also kept me dialed in. I also had a lot of customer appts so that kept me socially connected.

There will be pros and cons. If your commute is long its a great option. If the commute is short then consider your co-workers. Do you get a long well with them? Do they make the day better? Do you need access to your boss or amenities at work to get the job done? If so consider staying at the office.

I hope that helps... kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 GunnaBDiver?

GunnaBDiver?

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:08 AM

This is a very interesting topic. I work in Washington DC and commute 2 1/2 hours each way to work. Therefore leaving at 4:30 am and returning at 7:00 pm. In the past year I have been permitted to work from home one day a week, and I must say that "it is the best thing ever". One day a week I can actually sleep until 6:30 instead of 4:00 and when my work day is over, its still daylight and I'm already home. It also means that I can make a dr. appt without taking the whole day off.

In the event of inclement weather such as Hurricanes or winter storms, I still provide service even if there is a government closure so it works out to everyones benefit. With that being said, I still would not like to work from home every day. I would prefer 2 days a week, but I like getting out of the house and being in the office also.
Women are like angels......When someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly......on a broomstick. We are flexible like that!

• Guests

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:44 AM

I have recently starting setting myself up to work from home and I have tested it out on weekends. For me the advantages are huge since I live alone and own a home. Lots of waiting on service people if you own a home and if I can work and wait at the same time that takes alot off of me. The downsides however are the time management and social aspects. I won't get up at the same time everyday so that is a problem. I don't even make it to my office at the same time everyday so doing this from home would be a challenge. Last weekend was a long weekend and and even I, a near hermit, was going batty after working 12 hours for three days straight days without talking to anyone. Like Kate says, you are in the office all the time so might as well work if you have no errands... drawing that line is tough. With some form of social interaction throughout the day, and if payment for the extra hours you WILL put in is acceptable, it may be ok but I wasn't there yet. I rarely even talk to people socially at work (maybe 10mins a week) but I least I can see and hear them there and feel like I am part of the real world.

I think it could be the "greatest thing ever" if your situation is dire enough and you have a job that lends itself to that. But in all honesty if there isn't a compelling practical reason, it may be better to keep home as a pristine place for "me time" instead of as a work place. Each person is different though.

I think it depends on your situation. My commute is only 20-30 minutes and my work schedule is not really fixed with concrete start and stop times so I can't really generate a hugely compelling practical reason for it. Best I can really come up with is the occasional signature for delivery or contractor that needs watching over. Unfortunately, I had 4 of those events this week but none in the foreseeable future.

#6 tadawson

tadawson

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver and TA
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

Thanks.

Clint

I have been work at home for the last three jobs, and short of a gun being held to my head, I would never go back to the oppressive, offensive, sweatshop environment of an office . . . I work in high tech, and the ability to actually take care of what matters without some pinhead manager looking over your shoulder and ragging because you are 7 seconds late (yet still outproduce everyone) is priceless. I do travel a fair amount, so my "out of the office" time is to client sites all over the world, and I can also go mobile to wherever I need to be most of the time, so the ability to not only get things done at home, but to be other places on slow days is also huge. Not to mention all the fuel I don't buy and needlessly burn just to get to a place that offers nothing I don't have at home . . . .

And frankly, my company (a very large US firm . . . ) came to the conclusion quite some time ago that folks who work from home are generally more productive, and happier than those who don't, and a large majority of our workforce has the option . . .

And yes, I did worry at first about productivity, but if anything, find myself perhaps working more, since I can handle things on *MY* schedule far more than ever before!

- Tim

#7 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

The entire scope of my job does not lend itself to working from home, but the accounting side does. I find when I take work home to deal with over a weekend, I am very productive without all the interruptions that working in the office brings. However, if I worked at home full time, I would be in the local bar & grill every night, just to talk to people face to face. Guess I need the social interaction at some point during the day.....it does not have to be with co-workers, though.

I know some of your work story, so I understand the appeal to you of working from home. I also know that you help your Mom out a lot, so being available to her at a moment's notice may also have benefits.
If you do work from home, minimize the distractions. Keep the TV and Xbox turned off! :D
Posted Image

#8 BettyRubble

BettyRubble

Getting started

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:145

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:25 PM

I do a mix of working from home and being in the office. Gives me best of both worlds. For me, I'm very active in a number of groups in my personal life so the isolation factor isn't an issue. Of course, I also have two teenagers at home so I'm never totally alone for long!

#9 drifter

drifter

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

Being back in school, I'm pretty free to either work there (they provide a cube) or at home. I've found I'm more productive in the cube (fewer opportunities for distraction). However, I could fix that at home if necessary. I would gut the home office room, making it very work oriented. Currently, my dive gear is in the closet, there are tons of other things around that can provide distractions...so, when I really want to get work done, I go over to the cube on campus. I found it pretty much the same when I had the chance to work from home. I liked being able to work on my schedule and take care of errands during the day if necessary, but was more efficient at the office.

Scott
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
"Not all those who wander are lost."
~JRR Tolkien

#10 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

I was working from home about 1 or 2 days a week, and right now I'm working from home full time, due to a family situation. I work with a lot of people in Kuala Lumpur (KL) Malaysia, so it works well to be able to work at 10pm, after my son goes to bed, which is 11am KL time. So, for quite awhile, I would work in the office for a period of time, go home, then finish the work day at night, at home. In fact, my reporting manager is in KL.

The only issue I have right now about working full time at home is that I have a staff below me. So while I can't see their faces, I can instant message, email, or call them regularly. Thankfully, I've worked with them for over 7 years, so they all know their job responsibilities and I don't have to micro manage them.

I find myself totally wrapped up in my work at home. I forget that I can start a load of laundry, put the crock pot on for a dinner, or perhaps run a quick errand. So my husband often feels that the house should be cleaner, etc. as a result of my being home more often. :banghead:

The only other thing I need to watch out for is that there are times when I tend to nibble on more snacks. The refrigerator is a bit too convenient.

#11 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

I've worked from home for decades. I couldn't stand being in an office or commuting, especially when my bosses couldn't find enough work to keep me occupied for a week. Of course I've been working for myself for a long time now... and my "new" boss never has trouble finding enough work for me to do. In fact, he often makes me work 7 days a week from 6:30 AM to midnight. But I'm doing things I enjoy.

If I were working from home within a corporate or other business structure (with a boss, associates I needed to interact with, etc.) it could be a different story. I would want to spend at least some time each week at the office to maintain social ties within the organization (and get the latest gossip!).

#12 scubaclint

scubaclint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

Thanks everyone for your input.

Tomorrow I am working from home. Making sure my connection works and everything runs smoothly. The good news is that I didn't have to decide all or nothing at this point. I can do it once in a while on a trial basis. :)

Clint

#13 scubaclint

scubaclint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

Report for the first day: Very, very busy. Whew! Had to go into the office for awhile and iron out some glitches so I didn't have a non-commuting day.

Another trial day on Thursday. :)

Clint

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,678 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:17 AM

Hey Clint even if you end up doing the home office thing...be careful as DrBill says to go to the office enough to keep on top of the office politics and to not be forgotten. Plus you don't want to lose contact with your peers or boss. Good luck...you'll do great!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#15 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

You may actually find yourself doing more work at home because you don't have to travel, not as many interruptions, etc. Watch your hours and don't over do it...find a good balance for yourself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users