• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Trinidad or Tabago

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:51 AM

In our quest to find exciting new places for SD.com to travel too...Trinidad and Tabago have always been on the radar but I've gotten mixed reviews. Its time to tell us what you know and if this a place you'd like to goo diving. :thankyou:

Our very own ScubaSandra just got back and sent me a wonderful overwiew for a possible group trip. Here is what she said:

On 10/1/2011 10:13 AM, Sandra wrote:
> Hi Kamala
>
> I liked Tobago, and the diving was pretty good. The island is about the size of Dominica, with a lot of similarities. We stayed on the SW side of the island near the airport. The other option is to stay in Spayside, about a 1.5 hour drive from the airport The diving is different between the 2 sides of the island. Although our side of the island is more populated, the dive operators are pretty small and the operations a bit primitive. I don't think they could handle a group of 15+ very efficiently. We did dive both side of the island, and although both were good, I think the conditions in Spayside may be a bit better. The town is really small, but the dive operators are bigger. Unfortunately, I did not spend enough time there to come up with the names of any of the operators or any suggestions of places to stay.
>
> It's a pretty easy connection on AA from Miami to Trinidad or on Continental from Houston. I believe Caribbean Air has some flights from the US to Trinidad also. Then it is a quick 20 minute gate to gate flight from Trinidad to Tobago on Caribbean Air. There are numerous flights daily between Trinidad and Tobago. You have to spend the night in Trinidad either coming or going depending on flight times. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express that was 5 minutes from the airport. It was nice, but a bit pricey, $180 or so per night. Although the Caribbean Air website said that they allowed 1 free 50 lb bag from Trinidad to Tobago, and then charged for the second bag, we all checked 2 bags and were not charged. That was a nice surprise.
>
> Anyway, that's a quick summary. If you have any questions, just let me know.

> Thanks,
> Sandra

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:37 AM

Might want to check the state department website as last i heard there were some rumbling ... found the link http://trinidad.usem...ments-2011.html Ive heard theres some interesting diving there from a few people but would have to get more details from them.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

I spent Thansgiving 2010 diving (2days) down in Crown Point ( a/p name and nearby village), in Tobago. Crown point area very safe and friendly ( as oposed to Trinada) with hotels, guesthouses, bars and resturant all within walking distance. Dive op used a smaller boat, there was only 2 paying divers but hands down 1 dive was the fastest drift dive I've ever done. After Saturdays dive I transitioned up to Speyside about 90 min ride along coast and mouintainsides to meet a dive group from Denver. We stayed a Manta Lodge and dived with Tobago Dive Experince. Speyside is a small, fishing-diving village with just a couple dive resorts, resturants and bars ( residents w/ money did alright, locals w/o money had much less). Diving in Speyside all live boating, no moorings but current much, much less than Crown Point. Dive group leader-owner negotiated awesome price on all dives beyond 10 package dives. IMO a deal can be had from some of the dive resorts in this area. Transportation from Boston to Crown Point all in 1 day with a nice connection in Trinada. Weather was a bit rainy but that makes sense as right behind Manta Lodge is the rainforest. Birding, fishing and other tours can be arranged. I liked the ability to dive down by Crown Point a couple days so a trip that covers a 3 or 4 day holiday weekend and then a full week diving later. I would return again, the people and diving was fun,my only wish would be for more sunshine. I can provide contacts hotel-dive resort information . Check out my Vimeo video dive report below.
SS

http://www.vimeo.com/17989539
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users