• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Evolution...?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

Following some reading and discussions with people down here in Belize, I wonder whether people think there's truth in evolution, or whether they have an alternative view on how we came to be. I suppose a related question is how long you think the Earth has been in existence. I'm just trying to collect (anonymous) views, so PMs would be fine.

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

Peter that is a very delicate subject and one that could easily violate our TOS quickly. I hope that people would ONLY pm you their thoughts. :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:55 AM

Gee WW, you never let us have any flame wars. No fun at all.

#4 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

I hear what you say, Kamala, and will of course comply. I really don't see why it should be a delicate subject though.

#5 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

Peter, it's only delicate because there is an age-old difference of opinion (at least here in the USA) on the subject of evolution; there is the scientific opinion and the religious opinion. I don't know why, but the two sides will never see eye to eye nor 'agree to disagree'.
Posted Image

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

Peter, it's only delicate because there is an age-old difference of opinion (at least here in the USA) on the subject of evolution; there is the scientific opinion and the religious opinion. I don't know why, but the two sides will never see eye to eye nor 'agree to disagree'.

Thank you Tammy! That exactly explains why its a delicate subject!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

Gee WW, you never let us have any flame wars. No fun at all.

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! I know...I never let you all do the good stuff! ;)

formerly...

#8 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

I teach an introductory human biology course in college, and one of the topics is evolution. I approach this issue by teaching both Darwinian Evolution and Intelligent Design theories. I teach them both as theories. I point out that they're not mutually exclusive. I tell them that they can believe in either, both, or neither, but my function as the lecturer is to see that their decision is an informed one.

Rick

:usflag:

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.-Phillips Brooks

#9 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:12 AM

On the topic of delicate subjects, I wish posters would stop referring to or implying that the earth is round. We all know the Earth is flat and at the center of the universe. It offends my religious beliefs if you state otherwise. Thanks you in advance.

:evilgrin:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

On the topic of delicate subjects, I wish posters would stop referring to or implying that the earth is round. We all know the Earth is flat and at the center of the universe. It offends my religious beliefs if you state otherwise. Thanks you in advance.

Hawk you just ain't right!! :wacko:

formerly...

#11 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

You can have your Flat Earth, so long as I can have my Spontaneous Generation unquestioned as well.

#12 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hawk you just ain't right!! :wacko:

We laugh at such things, but that was the scientific theories at the time just as Evolution is the scientific theory of this time. As we as a society we learn more, these theories change.

Heck, when I was a kid I was taught that Pluto was a planet, now its just a rock.

#13 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

I don't care what astronomers say. You can't just reclassify a planet to a unusual large rock in space. If you do that, then the geologists might get up at arms and decide to redefine the continents based on tectonic plates. That is the first sign of the rising of the elder gods, and must be avoided at all costs.

#14 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:35 PM

that was the scientific theories [sic] at the time just as Evolution is the scientific theory of this time

Unfortunately the words "theory" and "belief" both have not just ambiguous but wildly conflicting meanings. "Evolution" was a theory when it was introduced, but it has since been substantiated by a vast body of observed evidence, and more importantly no evidence has been found that contradicts it. Like many mathematical theorems it cannot be "proven" as such, but the weight of evidence supporting it is now massive. It is no longer a "theory" in the sense you mean, even though it still bears that moniker. It qualifies for the description "scientifically proven fact" as much as (say) the 'theory" of sound transmission through air or the "belief" that the earth is near spherical rather than flat. That is why I was careful not to use the word "believe" in the context of evolution in my original question - I may "believe" in something for which I have seen no evidence, that being purely an act of faith, but my "belief" that the ground is hard is well supported by the observed facts that it supports buildings and hurts when I fall down (damn that Belikin!).

Edited by peterbj7, 27 October 2011 - 12:39 PM.

#15 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

that was the scientific theories [sic] at the time just as Evolution is the scientific theory of this time

Unfortunately the words "theory" and "belief" both have not just ambiguous but wildly conflicting meanings. "Evolution" was a theory when it was introduced, but it has since been substantiated by a vast body of observed evidence, and more importantly no evidence has been found that contradicts it. Like many mathematical theorems it cannot be "proven" as such, but the weight of evidence supporting it is now massive. It is no longer a "theory" in the sense you mean, even though it still bears that moniker. It qualifies for the description "scientifically proven fact" as much as (say) the 'theory" of sound transmission through air or the "belief" that the earth is near spherical rather than flat. That is why I was careful not to use the word "believe" in the context of evolution in my original question - I may "believe" in something for which I have seen no evidence, that being purely an act of faith, but my "belief" that the ground is hard is well supported by the observed facts that it supports buildings and hurts when I fall down (damn that Belikin!).

Peter, while we can debate this on end, you are treading on areas that will offend some people here by some of your statements above. Please return this discussion to PMs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users