• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Sometimes it's just one thing after another!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:18 AM

Did the Hot pepper jelly arrive ok?? I got confirmation that it arrived on friday, but I don't know if it found you guys!!

Yes, indeed. In all the flurry, I haven't thanked you! Arrived on Saturday while we were out, so I didn't get a chance to share it much :diver: but it's wonderful. TSA didn't confiscate it from my bag when they took the boot dressing I picked up at an off base supply store near USMC Cherry Point, so I still have some.

You were extravigant is shipping it there as you did, but thank you very much. :hiya: Sorry you couldn't come.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#17 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:41 PM

I will simply say that I am another vote for deco training. I was going to say more, but Kamala's post on that issue was sufficient in my mind.

She is right. If your dive plans could lead to solo diving and deco, you should be taking that entry-level tech course. I bet that you would learn alot too. :wavey:

Don got slammed pretty hard on another board when he posted the same incident, so I will be nice and let that suffice for that end.

Safe diving everybody!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#18 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 07:12 AM

I will simply say that I am another vote for deco training.  I was going to say more, but Kamala's post on that issue was sufficient in my mind.

She is right.  If your dive plans could lead to solo diving and deco, you should be taking that entry-level tech course.  I bet that you would learn alot too.  :wavey:

Don got slammed pretty hard on another board when he posted the same incident, so I will be nice and let that suffice for that end.

Safe diving everybody!

I applied to Deco Training and other Technical interestes to the only Tech Instr I can find in West Texas, but he wouldn't take me until he dived with me in Belize last summer, as he gets requests from suicidal divers. Now that he's approved me for training, I'm waiting on the class. I cold fly to Dallas or Houston for this, but I want a Tech Instr I can work with locally.

Yeah, I offered my story here and on another board in hopes that others might learn from my challenges, as well as to reinforce my own learning. One particular jerk took advatage of the situation over there to play Napolean, and I was too shook up for several days to deal with the ass in a responsible manner, so - I took the "discrestion is the better part of valor" route. Better than engaging in a flame war in my mood of the week. It was no surprise to see the links he carried in his Sig, for other boards where butt kicking is expectd.

I am grateful that I was able to keep my head during the incident, and deal with in-water problems thru in-water solutions. Two days later, I discovered a leak from my BC inflator hose connector and considered giving up Scuba, but - instead chose to look for a quick repair, then skipped to disconnecting the hose and resorting to oral inflating on the surface - one of the most dangerous places for s diver.

I soon learned more about my BC and got that fixed, as well as adding one more thing to my equipment check list. The CDX reg has been shipped to Oceanic who has agreed to replace it with a new CDX5. Doing what I can to make next month's Florida trip as safe as possible, but - we always need to be ready for caca, as caca is going to happen.

Edited by DandyDon, 08 October 2004 - 07:15 AM.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#19 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:19 AM

Hey Don,

You wouldn't be referring a certain law professor in CT when you mention the jerk?

Actually, I have blown an o-ring on my inflator before. That is no fun :welcome: . But, in both my professional courses and more advanced courses, a routine skill is contol bouyancy underwater with manual inflation. It is actually not that bad.

You will do fine and the instructor should give you lots of good pointers.

Yes, stuff happens! But, if we are diving within our training, it is much easier to handle the stuff when it does happen. Again, I am glad that you found underwater solutions to your problems instead of shooting to the surface. I am even happier to see the self-evaluation afterwards and the steps to make yourself a better diver to prevent more of such incidents instead of saying "this was just bad luck" like many people do.

That is the chief example and lesson that I would to see taken from this thread and even apply to myself as applicable.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#20 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:22 AM

Yeah, I offered my story here and on another board in hopes that others might learn from my challenges, as well as to reinforce my own learning. One particular jerk took advatage of the situation over there to play Napolean, and I was too shook up for several days to deal with the ass in a responsible manner, so - I took the "discrestion is the better part of valor" route. Better than engaging in a flame war in my mood of the week. It was no surprise to see the links he carried in his Sig, for other boards where butt kicking is expectd.

I am grateful that I was able to keep my head during the incident, and deal with in-water problems thru in-water solutions. Two days later, I discovered a leak from my BC inflator hose connector and considered giving up Scuba, but - instead chose to look for a quick repair, then skipped to disconnecting the hose and resorting to oral inflating on the surface - one of the most dangerous places for s diver.

Don, I may still be a noobie when it comes to diving but I will say thanks for sharing the incident with all of us. I find that it is better to swallow your pride, admit the mistake, glad you're still with us btw, and share what was learned from it. I hope no one gets caught in the situation again but it is bound to happen and knowing what to do will save a life. :welcome:

If the guy wants to bash, let him. I'd bet my paycheck he has screwed up a few times diving but doesn't have the maturity and self respect to admit it. Bashers do what they do, belittle others, because they are small persons themselves and it is the only way they can feel good about themselves.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#21 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:25 AM

But, in both my professional courses and more advanced courses, a routine skill is contol bouyancy underwater with manual inflation.

Yep, but it'd been 3-1/2 years since I'd actually done it in the water. One more skill to practice from time to time. A bigger threat, I think, to the newbie diver who may be nervous with diving still, or a sophomoric diver (like me) who thinks he knows what he's doing.

My O-ring was fine, BTW, but the metal connector to the BC has come unscrewed. Tightened it well, and I'll know to check it in the future. :welcome:

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 October 2004 - 12:08 PM

Don...having been in the water with you during at least one of your incidents I have to say you sure seemed calm even though you had lots of caca as you call it going on. As you know I was a bit relieved to do my free ascent with a dive buddy as I was more concerned about making sure you were ok then worrying how far we had drifted from the boat. Having a dive buddy is especially reassuring in those incidents and proof of the pudding as to why cultivating good buddy skills is very important. Fortunately I had had plenty of training for the circumstances we were in but being dive number 8 in my new drysuit of which only 6 were in salt water I was a wee bit nervous as to how my training would muster given a live field test. As you know we made a nice slow and safe ascent. And as you know my eyes were peeled to my computer ensuring that we did not rise to rapidly nor that the air in my suit started to get away from me. Several times I was worried as you were above me but I saw you also peeled to your computer so I relaxed knowing you were making a controlled ascent as well.

Boy those anchor lines sure are nice aren't they???? :teeth:

P.S. glad you'll be taking a tech course soon! That is a great idea for ANY diver that finds themself diving or wanting to dive regularily over 100ft regardless of the conditions. -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#23 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:40 PM

I think I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm not sure...?

Ascending with Kamala, my Marine Corps mind went into play: Do the next right thing, take care of detailed needs, watch Kamala to see if she needs help?

Once on the surface, I reported to my immediate superior in the field (she's gotta' love this part :) ) Kamala that I was okay, confirmed that she was okay - albeit frustrated over the free ascent (crap, you do what you gotta' do), but forgot to signal the boat OK. They were about to launch a rescue when Kamala said "Signal that you'e okay, Don." :teeth:

I've been on trips to Cent America with a West Texas couple, of whom the gal likes to surface and give a West Texas wave to the boat. She's scared us a few times. :)

Yeah, I've never failed to find the line before that weekend. Doing a free ascent together was embarrassing. Doing one alone, with nothing but seagreen water and my computer to watch, wouldn't be fun. I've done worse on the farm, but I don't want to. I had a reel in my bag, but hadn't worked with it yet and didn't want to practice then. I will soon. :teeth:

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:45 PM

Once on the surface, I reported to my immediate superior in the field (she's gotta' love this part :teeth: ) Kamala that I was okay,

Well Don you are right about one thing....I did love the 'immediate superior' part! Now please make sure you 'salute' when you say that!!!! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#25 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:58 PM

Once on the surface, I reported to my immediate superior in the field (she's gotta' love this part  :)  ) Kamala that I was okay, 

Well Don you are right about one thing....I did love the 'immediate superior' part! Now please make sure you 'salute' when you say that!!!! :teeth:

Don!!!

now look what you've done!!

aside from ww's customary WOOHOO!!! when boarding, now we will all have to salute her too??

:teeth:

#26 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:06 PM

Once on the surface, I reported to my immediate superior in the field (she's gotta' love this part  :)  ) Kamala that I was okay,  

Don!!!

aside from ww's customary WOOHOO!!! when boarding, now we will all have to salute her too??

There various salutes! :)

But it was really more of a Staf Seargant feeling.

#27 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:14 PM

Don!!!

:)

There various salutes! :)

But it was really more of a Staf Seargant feeling.

you are correct, Don

some salutes are much better than others!!

#28 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 08 October 2004 - 05:33 PM

Another reason why I prefer SD. That is just such a shame. It's not as if you were proud of what happened, or were promoting people knowingly take leaking pony bottles along. You were presenting it as a learning experience, and were open to advice.

As my father taught me, "Dumb people do not learn from their mistakes, average people learn from their mistakes, and smart people learn from others' mistakes." So, I paid attention to the suggestions, and gave some thought to my pony bottle.

#29 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 06:07 PM

Yeah, it was unfortunate. The jerk was having fun kicking my butt, I was too shook up to stand up to him, the Mods didn't step in, and I'm a big boy - so I didn't ask for help.

Someone opened that thread up today, though, with erroneous suggestions, so I went back to respond to him, as well as make some appropriate statements about the critical words by the jerk, etc. I'm Satff over there for now; hope I don't get banned before Dema. :teeth:

#30 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 10:03 PM

I think I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm not sure...?

Ascending with Kamala, my Marine Corps mind went into play: Do the next right thing, take care of detailed needs, watch Kamala to see if she needs help?

Once on the surface, I reported to my immediate superior in the field (she's gotta' love this part :P ) Kamala that I was okay, confirmed that she was okay - albeit frustrated over the free ascent (crap, you do what you gotta' do), but forgot to signal the boat OK. They were about to launch a rescue when Kamala said "Signal that you'e okay, Don." :wakawaka:

I've been on trips to Cent America with a West Texas couple, of whom the gal likes to surface and give a West Texas wave to the boat. She's scared us a few times. :lmao:

Yeah, I've never failed to find the line before that weekend. Doing a free ascent together was embarrassing. Doing one alone, with nothing but seagreen water and my computer to watch, wouldn't be fun. I've done worse on the farm, but I don't want to. I had a reel in my bag, but hadn't worked with it yet and didn't want to practice then. I will soon. :D

Don,

That is one of the tech training skills. Before doing deco in open water, I would hope that you feel comfortable hovering and shooting a bag. That bag is your marker on a free ascent so that the boat can find you.

If you choose to practice this skill, please learn it from an instructor or be observed by an instructor. It is not as easy as it looks and if I am quarry diving, I often do it just to keep in practice.

And Kamala...

No salutes here! You have my respect, but I quit doing that when my discharge from the Navy was handed to me. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users