• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY: 2012-12: NYE...Dec 26 - Jan 2 San Salvador Bahamas ... SPECTACULAR WALLS for the New Year!

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#76 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

Easier done than said Buz. ;)

#77 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hey, all. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out flights for this trip! Is this something that SD can help me with? Or, am I better off booking on my own? Do I just need to get to Miami & figure out the flight to San Salvador from there? Also, are the actual travel dates December 26 & January 2, or do I need to plan to stay over a night in either direction? Sorry for all the quesitons. This is my first time on a SD trip & I want to get it right. Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

:thankyou:

#78 coziac

coziac

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

The trip is not open yet. Kamala is still working out details I would imagine so for now just hang tight and she will let us know.

#79 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hey gang...working on this now trying to get it open for booking! I also have some airline info that will help us as well as pricing for extra days or even another week!

Since I am way over due I will start to post helpful stuff which will be part of the full trip booking template.

So stay tuned...its a coming!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#80 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

RIDING ROCK RESORT & MARINA FAQ:

PRE-TRIP PLANNING
1. Any unused portion of any reservation is non-transferable and not refundable. Riding Rock is not responsible for missed or delayed flights. We highly recommend guests to purchase trip insurance!

2. Re-Booking and/or Change in Reservation Fee: A US$25.00 per person fee will be assessed for any changes made to reservations once vouchers and documents have been issued. Change fees are in addition to any applicable penalties as the original date is being cancelled.

3. Entry/Exit Requirements: Everyone, including children of any age entering the Bahamas must have a valid Passport and a return or ongoing ticket. No Visas are required for US or Canadian citizens. For other nationalities, it is your responsibility to ensure your own visa requirements, and no refunds will be awarded for customers denied access for lack of proper Visa. There is a departure tax of U.S. $13.00 which most commercial carriers include in their ticket prices. If the tax has not been collected or you are traveling by private aircraft it will be paid at the airport upon departure.

4. Minimum Stays: Minimum seven night stay during Christmas and New Years week.

5. Packing Considerations: Casual summer wear can be worn during the day any time of the year; but
be sure to bring a jacket or sweater for cooler evenings from December to February. Life is simple on
San Sal and we recommend that you pack lightly, but do bring a sufficient supply of sunscreen and
insect repellent. We’ll provide you with toiletries and a hair dryer, beach towels and all linens, an
alarm clock and iron so no need to pack these items!

6. We know you will want to keep well hydrated during your stay, especially when you are diving. We
therefore encourage all guests to bring their own reusable water bottles for use on the boat, to
eliminate the necessity to use plastic cups. Your efforts will help us keep the islands landfill clear of unnecessary waste that cannot be recycled.

7. Airline luggage restrictions have been constantly changing be sure to check your airline's web
site(s) for the most current information on baggage allowances and restrictions. For most
international flights, any luggage over 50 pounds will have a surcharge and you could potentially be
told to remove something from the bag. In most cases luggage over 70 pounds will not be accepted.

8. Domestic flights especially those booked independently of the international flight will most likely
have other allowances and restrictions. Best advice is travel light! - SINGLEDIVERS.COM is looking at a charter flight but must have a min of 8 to make it work. MORE DETAILS COMING NEXT...

9. In the unlikely event you arrive on San Salvador without your luggage, please make sure you have
packed your “trip essentials” in your carry on bag, such as your C-Card for diving or Referral Papers for Dive Courses, a pair of shorts, bathing suit, dive mask, medicine, sunglasses or anything you consider necessary to begin enjoying your stay from the moment you arrive.

10. Bahamas Air from Nassau to San Salvador is a small aircraft and you cannot take your typical size luggage carry-on onto the plane. You will need to check your carry-on when you are on the tarmac. For carry-on aboard the plane, we recommend soft sided duffel or backpack that you can squeeze under the seat or in the overhead compartment. Approximately 12” x 12” x 8”.

11. Batteries: The Island does not have a proper toxic waste disposal system. Corroding batteries leak
toxic chemicals into the soil and, ultimately, the sea. Please take your used batteries home with you
where they can be recycled.

12. Dive Computers: Please be aware that all dives at Riding Rock Resort are computer dives, and that
all divers need to have their own computer. If divers do not have their own, Aqualung Gekko
computers are available for rent. OR YOU CAN USE A COCHRAN COMPUTER FREE OF CHARGE IF YOU PARTICIPATE IN DAN RESEARCH AND RECIEVE A NICE DISCOUNT IF YOU WISH TO OWN ONE!

13. Traveling with Children: Please be sure you have notified us in advance of travel if you will need a babysitter. Babysitting can be pre-arranged for an additional hourly or daily charge.

ARRIVING ON SAN SALVADOR

14. Transportation and Transfers: A representative from the hotel will be at the airport to greet you upon arrival and bring you to Riding Rock Resort & Marina. Guests flying in privately, please call from airport for pick up. There are also a limited number of rental cars available for hire. A Valid driver’s license is required. British rules apply, so please drive on the left and be extra careful on roundabouts. Visitors may use their home licenses for up to three months. Pedestrians should remember to look right before crossing streets.

15. Arriving at Riding Rock: The Front Office at the Resort is open from 7:00 AM – 9:30 PM. A Mastercard or Visa credit card will be needed upon arrival at the Resort as a deposit against incidental charges incurred during the stay. American Express is not accepted at the Resort. Check in time is 3:00 PM.
NOTE: Roommates need to agree upon room charges and joint room bills. We suggest that you use one card to secure room incidentals and ask every time you charge something that your name be associated with your charge. OR you both can have a card on file...but again should always ask that your charges be associated with your room. OR try to pay as you go to avoid room charges all together. Or agree that one person will charge on the room and the other will pay as they go!

16. Room Amenities: All guest rooms have Cable TV and telephone. Mini refrigerators are also available in the Deluxe rooms. A safety deposit area is available at the Front Office.

17. Property Amenities: In addition to a beautiful white sand beach ideal for swimming or snorkeling, there is also a pool, bicycle, golf cart and car rental service and marina for fishing charters.

18. Dive Operation Information: For certified divers, we do check Certification Cards at the dive store. All recognized agencies will be honored. Our boats leave the marina at 9:00 AM each morning for a two tank trip. In some circumstances the dive boat may return to the dock between tanks. They return to the dock around 12:30 - 1:00 PM. The dive boats leave again for a one tank wall dive each afternoon (except on Tuesday) around 2:30 PM. Night dives are scheduled for Tuesday evenings. All dive equipment except for wetsuits, remains on the boats for the duration of your trip, the crew gives everything a fresh water rinse daily. Wetsuits and skins are hung up to dry in an outdoor area. Tanks available include standard 80 cu ft aluminum as well as compact 80's. These compact cylinders are 4 pounds heavier in the water than a standard 80 and allow you to wear less weight on your body. (There is a limited number of the compact 80's so will be offered to those who need a lot of lead first and on a first come first served basis.)

19. Food Service: The Oceanside Dining Room serves breakfast from 7:30 - 9:00 AM, lunch from 12:30 - 2:00 PM and dinner from 6:30 - 8:30 PM. The Driftwood Bar is open from 4:00 - 11:00 PM. Sandwiches, fries and side salad may be purchased between hours. There is also a snack bar across from the marina which is open from 10:30 AM – 4:00 PM.

20. Drinking Water: All drinking water is imported onto the island. Bottled water is served in pitchers at meals. Drinking water for personal use outside the dining room may be purchased at the bar. Small and tall bottles are available for a nominal charge which may be added to your room's account. Please be considerate and do not fill your water bottles from the table pitchers.

21. Electricity: No adapters are needed for North Americans as the outlets are square prong 110-120 volt/60-cycle AC electrical current. Some Europe 230 Volt/50 Hz appliances will work fine using a round prong adapter, but others with simple motors will run too fast on the higher frequency of 60 Hz and should not be used. Please check manufacturers instructions if in doubt!

22. Internet & Phone Service: Wireless Internet connection is available with your own laptop computer at the Club House (which includes the lobby, restaurant, bar and patio) as well as the marina area. It is not available from the rooms. Rooms do have land line telephones from which calls can be placed with the assistance of the Front Office. Cell phone clients have generally been lucky with ATT service and any cell phone that operates on GSM technology. For those of you with a blackberry you can send and receive email at approx 2 cents per KB. From our experience an average email is 10KB.

23. Currency: The legal tender is the Bahamian dollar (B$1), which is equivalent in value to the US dollar. Both US and Bahamian dollars are accepted interchangeably throughout the islands. Note: If using credit cards on island, please be aware that most credit-card companies are now adding an extra 2% to 5% fee on international transactions in addition to any currency-exchange commissions.

24. Tipping: Gratuities are not included in your hotel or dive package. Tipping is at your discretion and should be guided by the quality of service you receive. Guests should consider tipping housekeeping staff, wait & bar staff, boat captains and dive guides and anyone else who provides good service. Tips are always welcome for a job well done.

25. Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time is used within The Islands of The Bahamas. April to October is Eastern Daylight Time, in conjunction with US summer hours.

26. Water Temperature: Normally 78º - 86º F all year, slightly warmer in the summer and fall and cooler in the winter and spring. A 2-mm to 3mm full suit is recommended for divers for summer and 3mm - 5mm in winter.

27. Emergencies: There is a hyberbaric recompression chamber on island. (Located at Club Med) San Salvador also has a clinic 5 minutes from Riding Rock Resort & Marina and San Salvador Intl airport can facilitate air ambulances service 24 hours a day.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#81 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hey gang...check out some of the sites of the resort AND the underwater critters we should see courtesy of Riding Rock resort:

These guys aren't too scary... here sharky sharky... here sharky sharky...

Posted Image

Check out those TEETH!!! :cool1:

Posted Image

More diving...

Posted Image

Posted Image

formerly...

#82 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

And now a sneak peek at the resort...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

WOW! The island to ourselves...

Posted Image

formerly...

#83 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

I appreciate the quick response, Kamala! I know you have a ton on your plate right now. Will sit back, now, and let you work your magic.

Peace. Can't wait to get there!!! Almost all of the diving I've been doing lately has been instructional, mostly in Arizona lakes, so, this is will be a much deserved, highly anticipated treat. It'll be good to dive for pure enjoyment for a change, without having to keep eyes on 12-24 students!!!

Thanks for the sample photos, as well.

:fish: :diver:

#84 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

I appreciate the quick response, Kamala! I know you have a ton on your plate right now. Will sit back, now, and let you work your magic.

Peace. Can't wait to get there!!! Almost all of the diving I've been doing lately has been instructional, mostly in Arizona lakes, so, this is will be a much deserved, highly anticipated treat. It'll be good to dive for pure enjoyment for a change, without having to keep eyes on 12-24 students!!!

Thanks for the sample photos, as well.

:fish: :diver:

Nope is me that owes YOU a thank you for being so patient. But things are going my way... mom is on her way to see my grandmom, grandmom is doing a little better each day, I'm finally home in my own bed, hubby just left for a dive trip for the week and I have NO responsibilities but SD stuff and THIS TRIP!!!! YEA!!!!

formerly...

#85 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

FLIGHT UPDATES:

The Bahamas Air flight to San Sal requires you be in Nassau BEFORE 8:15am therefore you have to overnight in Nassau which runs about $200 a room plus food and taxi so it can add up – BUT we can pay an extra $55.00-75.00 and not have to do that by chartering a private flight from Nassau to San Sal.

The special flight is $275.00 per person round trip and we need to be in Nassau prior to 1230pm on the date of arrival, leaving Nassau after 1pm on the day of departure. Kamala, right now we have you for arrival Dec 26 and departing Jan 2 – is that what you want? The special flight requires a minimum of 8 people to make that happen.

NOTE: I have requested since its a special flight if they can move it later in the day to accommodate more flight options! I hope to know soon!

If we have less than 8 we either have to pay for the unused space(s) or switch to Bahamas Air. I'm confident we can get 8 as there are no connections that can make it to San Sal from the US that I can find on the 26th.

MORE COMING SOON!!

formerly...

#86 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

I am up for the charter option if it works out for everyone. I still need to figure out my Phoenix to Nassau leg before I can make that decision, though. Everything I've checked, so far, has me going through Charlotte, Dulles or Atlanta, arriving in the afternoon or evening. Not really sure what all of my options are. Any ideas? Whatever works out is fine. If I could avoid an overnight in Nassau, that would be optimal, of course. Have a great weekend!

#87 ChiDiver

ChiDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:99

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

I could not avoid spending a night in Nassau. I found a hotel on the south side of the island for $99 plus service charge through booking.com. It'll do for a night; my goal is to get to San Salvador ASAP.

Coming from Chicago, I go through Miami on the way to Nassau (I hope they do not delay my luggage this time like they did in Dec. 2011) but I go back via Dallas.

#88 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

I am up for the charter option if it works out for everyone. I still need to figure out my Phoenix to Nassau leg before I can make that decision, though. Everything I've checked, so far, has me going through Charlotte, Dulles or Atlanta, arriving in the afternoon or evening. Not really sure what all of my options are. Any ideas? Whatever works out is fine. If I could avoid an overnight in Nassau, that would be optimal, of course. Have a great weekend!

THIS is why I am trying to get the charter for LATER in the afternoon. That way people coming from the West can make it. Another option is to overnightin Miami and then go direct to San Sal from there.

If all goes well we'll have the charter details Monday and this trip will open then! Cool!

formerly...

#89 galngotham

galngotham

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

Hey there! Count me in!!! I just made my reservations and arrive in Nassau around noon December 25th. Charter good for me!

#90 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

Suhweet Carol...

If all goes well the trip is open on MONDAY!!!

Charter will run from 26th Dec to 2nd Jan. Flights should not be made for earlier than 1pm on your departure from Nassau on the 2nd.

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users