• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Curacao

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:12 AM

Hi SD members, Well,Curacao turned out to be Nice.Ocean Encounters is a GREAT Dive shop. Very nice boats & Dm's.Lion fish GALORE. You think we saw alot in GCM...The DM killed at least 12 a dive.Shore diving is easy to get to.Dive sites that were visited..Klein Curacao East Pt.,Tugboat,Sandy's Reef,Mushroom forest,Beacon Pt.,Small Wall,Ship wreck Pt.Sunset waters & The Superior wreck. Unfortunately, the rain followed me there. Rained off & on during am hrs .I am now over 100 life time dives.Did Nitrox again...great stuff,which was +$10.00 per tank.The water temp was in the mid 80's most of the time, even at 100'.
Lion's Dive Resort. Food Service was VERY SLOW!!!! You need to order your check when you receive your meal.Brkfast was included with the stay..everything else is pay. We ended up going across the bay.a very short walk to Augustino's.The prices and the service were Much better.The one thing I will worn anybody is the sand flies were terrible,the no see'ums..They're worse than mosquito bites. Internet $12.00 4/24 hrs--,$30.00 for 3 day's or $60.00 for the week.The room's were nice & kept clean, room safe is $1.50 per day.. Very Dutch ...Ltd Americans.The staff understood English

My spouse came with on this trip. She had a good time inspite of being a non diver.I think she would have enjoyed meeting everyone from SD on the GCM trip.
--
Greg Geuss
Take care,Dive Safe

Edited by Greg@ihpil, 02 December 2011 - 03:58 PM.

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#2 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

Greg, Nice trip report. How invasive are the Lionfish you ask, I was there last January did 15 dives and didn't see 1 Lionfish. Ocean Encounters is the Go To dive op on Curacao. Loins Beach resort very nice set up. Walking along the boardwalk towards Williamstead you will come across many beach clubs/dinner spots and evening entertainment venues. LSD heading there in April, I may join them.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#3 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

Loins Beach resort very nice set up...LSD heading there in April, I may join them.

Freudian slip, Stan? Got something on your mind to tell us? :lmao:

#4 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

It may have been. Lions Beach Resort does cater to the Dutch and Dutch women do sunbath topless!!!! a very liberal society. I always had fun in Holland. Ah the good olde days before the Euro and European Union. :2cool: :dance:
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#5 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

I did have a little culture shock over that Dutch way, just tried to ignore it. Greg your experience was much the same as mine in 2008. My sister and I went across to Augustino's for practically every meal - she liked the spagetti and had it every night! :)

#6 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:32 AM

So how does Curaçao compare to Bonaire?? As far as the diving especially??
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:02 AM

Most people say diving is better in Bonaire which is partially why its more expensive than Curacao. The entire island of Bonaire is a marine park whereas only part of Curacao is a marine park.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

So how does Curaçao compare to Bonaire?? As far as the diving especially??

IMO. Curacao offers more varied diving options ie: Drift, walls, wrecks,# shore diving sites, lots of the same fish. Bonaire has a larger marine park, more shore diving sites within smaller area. The amount of flora and fauna in Bonaire may excede Curacao, however Bonaire is basically all 30* slope diving, for me kinda boring. I asked the dive master to bring us to a wall one dive. We droped in on a rock the size of a highway bill board!!!

Hands down Curacao offers more topside ops.

Ss
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#9 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

Heidi,Thank's for the confirmation.Augutino's was more bang for the $$.And the food was GREAT.Sissy,I can't compare as I've never been to Bonaire.Have to use Sk'is & the Wench's thought's.
As for the European ambiance,not a big deal...Kay sura sura

Personally, IMO I thought the variety WAS good at Curacao. Great Walls,Wrecks and Reefs.As Kamala point's out ,the $$ is better in Curcao.The US $ doesn't suffer as in the other countries with the Euro.Ocean Encounters is a great shop.They have 2. 1 by Lion's & the other is further West near Breeze's.

The Shore:diver: Diving was very accessable & convienant in the Resort. You just had to watch out for the Skidoo's ,when you surfaced.I think water temp's stay's pretty consistent that far south.I wore a 3/2 mm and was fine.
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#10 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:50 AM

Thank Y'all for the information. I'm glad you had a good time Greg!! I can't wait to get back in the water!!
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users